How many ophtho interviews do you have as of 10/07/14?

• Total voters

RasheedMD

5+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2010
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Just curious....

ophthope

Oh Dear, No Venison
5+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Got about tree fiddy.

This thread pops up every year when people are getting nervous, don't lose hope! I've seen a few DOs posting here this year and notably DOs will receive far fewer interviews on average as I have said in every DO thread that pops up about the ACGME match, but hopefully they have a backup strategy. If you're in that situation you may find you have more luck later on during the season once some people cancel some interviews and those spots open back up, and if there are specific programs you were hoping to hear from and you see that they've already offered interviews it may be a prudent time to call or email and express specific interest again. Sometimes that helps, you never know.

OphthoApp

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I didn't apply this year but according to current list of those programs that have offered interviews so far I had 17 interviews from that list. I only ended up going on 4 of the ones on the current list. Realize that LOTS of interviews will start opening up as people start canceling. I only post this because for those that are concerned it's not just theoretical that interviews will open up, they definitively do.

Xinlitik

7+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2010
Status
Do schools contact the next people on their list when interviews open up, or do you need to contact them to find the slot?

DrZeke

yzarc gniog ylwolS
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Do schools contact the next people on their list when interviews open up, or do you need to contact them to find the slot?
They usually contact you, but if there is a school that already sent out invites that you are very interested in and think you might be a good fit for, just call them and talk to the coordinator and let her know you are interested. You can ask if there's a waiting list and if you're on it or if it would help to write an email/letter of interest/intent. I've found most of them were pretty honest once the invites went out.

Xinlitik

7+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2010
Status
They usually contact you, but if there is a school that already sent out invites that you are very interested in and think you might be a good fit for, just call them and talk to the coordinator and let her know you are interested. You can ask if there's a waiting list and if you're on it or if it would help to write an email/letter of interest/intent. I've found most of them were pretty honest once the invites went out.
Great thanks for the advice.