How many ortho programs should I apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yrbender

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am beggining the process of applying for ortho, and am looking for advice on how many schools I should apply to. I have very good stats (high 90's on NBE 1, ranked 1st), but want to make sure I get in this year. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you I would apply to about 10...provided that you interview well, and aren't a total tool.

Ben

my buddy had pretty much the same stats and applied to 15 schools. he landed 13 interviews if i recall correctly, so you should probably expect a similar yield...

I am beggining the process of applying for ortho, and am looking for advice on how many schools I should apply to. I have very good stats (high 90's on NBE 1, ranked 1st), but want to make sure I get in this year. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)

The best advice is this: better safe than sorry.

It doesn't cost much to apply to more schools through PASS (something like $35 for each additional school). Of course, you'll probably have additional costs associated with sending more transcripts, or program application fees, but it's worth spending the extra $500 to apply to 8 or 9 more schools rather than not getting enough interviews.

If you get a lot of interviews you can always decline some. Better to be in that position than to get no interviews. Play it safe.

I agree. I always tell people it's better to be pickey later (ranking) than early (submitting applications). You'll find that some program's interview dates will conflict and some programs not to your liking after the interview. Why limit yourself in the beginning?

Apply to as many as humanly can. Don't forget that some will require GREs!