How many Path residencies to apply to/ chances???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loki95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a step1 of 21x, step 22x.No research. 1 path rotation with 2 letters. How many programs should I apply to? What is my range interms of low tier vs high tier schools? or what do you think my chances are?

Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Other things to consider. Are you an AMG or FMG? Tier of medical school and general class rank/performance? Any special features?

AMG, mid tier school, low class rank. I’m pretty basic in terms of applicant features unfortunately.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reality is that a barrier for entry into the field of pathology is nonexistent for US medical graudates. Passing Step scores, a solid command of the English language, and decent interviewing skills will get you in somewhere. As only ~1/3 of the applicant pool is made up of US medical school graduates, you're the preferred applicant. With a Step score of >200 and 9 contiguous ranks, you will get in to a program. I can't of course guarantee it'll be any good and you won't be abused like a grossing monkey with nothing left to show for it at the end of 4 years of "training", but you'll get in.

Just as an FYI, from my reading of the NRMP data charts, the pathology program ranking preferences in order are 1) US medical school graduates, 2) US DO graduates in which a large proportion appear to have below average COMLEX scores, and 3) IMGs whose STEP scores approximate the US Med school graduate pool.

Go for at least 20 with good mix of high (at any location) and lower-tier programs (at good geographic locations)

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I have a step1 of 21x, step 22x.No research. 1 path rotation with 2 letters. How many programs should I apply to? What is my range interms of low tier vs high tier schools? or what do you think my chances are?

Thank You.

100% unless you apply to nothing but very selective programs. Seriously.

Always Aim High in life. Big name programs aren’t the best programs esp if they are research oriented, unless you want to do academics. Apply and go with the program you’d be happy with, esp if they have some of the competitive fellowships. But being at a place you’d be happy with is most important.

Dont apply to low tier places.