How many people are applying this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Trek 1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where can one find the actual stats on how many people are applying to medical school this year, and the trends throughout the years?

Thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad.

As everyone knows, medical school applicants peaked in 1996 and steadily declined until 2003, where it started to climb again. If 34,786 people applied last year, how many does everyone think will apply this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr Trek 1 said:
As everyone knows, medical school applicants peaked in 1996 and steadily declined until 2003, where it started to climb again. If 34,786 people applied last year, how many does everyone think will apply this year?

My psychic abilities tell me 35,627. Are you happy now?

Dr Trek 1 said:

That is true. However, I spoke to a director of admissions at one school and she said that the number of competitive applicants was at the highest point last year. Even though the number of people who submitted an application is lower than in 1996, 2003 had the most people eligible for secondaries and so on. Lesson: statistics can be misleading.

Interesting fact about the competitive applicants, ham. One can always lie with statistics. This year it is predicted that law school applications will reach 100,000 (highest it has ever been). Possible explanations are that when the economy is so bad people want a JD in order to improve their options. However, I do not feel that this is the primary reasoning behind med school applications, especially since the average age of first year med. students is lower than first year law student.
Any other thoughts on this topic?

Dr Trek 1 said:

They said from the preliminary MCAT numbers taht there should be a 6% increase in the number of applications the last two years,

That means for Incoming 2004 (my year) there was probably about 36,800 applicants, and if the trend continues, the entering 2005 class (yours) should be about 39,000!

Dont know if that'll hold true, but thats a huge jump from aroud 33k in 2002.

I agree with exmike.
Take a look at the MCAT data. It gives firsttimers and repeaters each year.
You can then correlate that data with the number of medical applicants each year.

All of this is available at
http://www.aamc.org/data/facts

I heard that the number of applicants this year may stay the same or go up slightly due to rising tuition...especially in the UC schools.

mdsh00 said:
I heard that the number of applicants this year may stay the same or go up slightly due to rising tuition...especially in the UC schools.

I dont see how this is even the least bit relevant?!? :confused:

I'm with exmike. "I heard so and so" is exactly the reason why there is so much misinformation about med schools and the application process. Where'd you here that info? From a fortune cookie?

"UC fee increase mean application remain same or go up slightly. Lucky numbers: 2, 13, 18, 42, 44, 46"

Be nice guys!
He used "I heard". I'd rather have someone give me a rummor than to sit silent. It's all more info/ideas to take in and digest for ourselves. ...yes, even opinions based on hearsay.

As for a civil discussion per the comment, I say it is probably incorrect (my assumption) because school costs have been going up every year for a while and people still apply. However, I do believe it will have an impact on people matriculating to UC schools (even if slight). I back that statement up by referencing GreenT's post in the UCSD thread. GreenT will be going to a private school (yale) instead of matriculating to a UC because the cost benefit (supposidly) is just not enough to turn down yale.