1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

how many people are holding multiple acceptances?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by drmota, Dec 17, 2005.

1. drmota

drmota 2K Member
    5+ Year Member

just wanted a general feel of how many of you i should detest. but on a less serious note, i want to get a feel for how the waitlists may be moving later on based on how many people plant their fat bums in numerous classes seats. thanks.

-mota

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BaylorGuy

BaylorGuy Enter witty comment here
    7+ Year Member

Count me in...considering withdrawing from one or two in january.

4. chandelantern

chandelantern MSI at Mayo in August!
    5+ Year Member

I am right now but I'm withdrawing from 2 in January. I assume the majority of waitlist movement won't be until spring though since most schools are still accepting people into the class.

5. madonna

madonna Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    assuming you get on the waitlist :)
    j/k good luck

6. unicorn06

unicorn06 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I'm holding a few...and I'll keep them all until I get the financial aid packages in March...

7. MollyMalone

MollyMalone I'm a Score Quadruplet
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Remember that schools do flat out accept more people than they have seats for, so even if some people from a given school drop their acceptances, that doesn't necessarily mean that the waitlist's going to move.

</raining on parade>

8. jebus

jebus Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

When I read that it's in John Spencer's voice so it's way more palatable.
    I hope Patrick Stewart dies next so you put his picture up and I hear his voice reading everything.
    Back to reality, yes, they do accept more than they need. According to USNews it's like 2.5 -3 X more than the number of matriculants. If you want to know actual numbers just ask.

9. ultimateend

ultimateend fear is the mind killer.
    7+ Year Member

He will never die. Somehow I'll make sure of that.

I think when they say they accept 2x more people than their class size I think they are also taking into account the people off the waitlist. I doubt that they would flat out accept 2x right off the bat.

I already turned down one acceptance but like another person said, I'm waiting to see how much fin aid I can get.

10. BaylorGuy

BaylorGuy Enter witty comment here
    7+ Year Member

Holy freaking Crap....Spencer is gone?!?!?! 'Tis a sad sad day....i think we need to pour a 40 out

11. MollyMalone

MollyMalone I'm a Score Quadruplet
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

I hope you can keep Patrick Stewart alive. Thank you in advance. :)

It totally depends on the school, but some places do offer acceptances to 1.5-2x their class size. And sometimes that comes back to bite them, like last year when UWisc was offering a year's free tuition to anyone who would defer a year because they accepted way too many people. They still wound up with a larger class than they had wanted.

12. drmota

drmota 2K Member
    5+ Year Member

your rain is not welcome here. but ya i think you're right that most schools over accept. i like those schools. vcu is annoying. i know they dont do that. nor do they give me interviews.
    -mota

13. MoosePilot

MoosePilot Y Bombardier
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Couldn't you get an idea from the Hall of Fame?

Don't you really want to know for certain specific schools? That would be the easiest place to look.

14. drmota

drmota 2K Member
    5+ Year Member

i am a lazy, lazy man. and also i dont think people post on the wall of fame whether they reserve spots at the schools they get accepted at. this thread is more to the point.
    -mota

15. MoosePilot

MoosePilot Y Bombardier
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hmmmm...

Well, that thread gets responses because it's an orderly list that lets people highlight themselves by name positively for the rest of the season. Simple human nature dictates that thread will be fairly complete. This thread might do well for the same reason.

I've got two acceptances, although one is a pseudo-acceptance pending additional requirements unique to that school. I probably won't ever keep more than my top two.

16. drmota

drmota 2K Member
    5+ Year Member

17. MoosePilot

MoosePilot Y Bombardier
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
  18. femmedargent

femmedargent Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

wow madonna, you're a [email protected]#$ing [email protected]#%h. who the f#$k says that even jokingly. you people make me sick

19. drmota

drmota 2K Member
    5+ Year Member

whoa whoa. i dont think she meant it like that. i thought she meant that i wont have to worry about it cuz i'll get accepted. but maybe you're right. she did say j/k after which implies that she was being a b*tch. hmm. i have some rapport with this person so i'd like to think she wasn't being malicious

as for your username, awesome. that song surfin on a rocket gets me every time. but femme dargent is hands down their best song.

-mota

20. veenut

10+ Year Member

that's the second time this week you've gone ape s**t over a pretty innocuous comment. get a grip, man.

21. JDWflash44

JDWflash44 Workin it...
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    From what I can tell from my interviews it seems like most private schools accept about 2X as many applicants as they have spots in the class before dipping into the waitlist. Or thats what they say at least.

Jim

22. greendot

greendot SDN Angel
    5+ Year Member

Holding a couple, dropped a couple. I'm planning to drop 2 in January too.

23. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    So far I've dropped my waitlists and am still holding all of my acceptances. But I will be filling out my FAFSA next month as soon as I get my W2s and do my taxes, so I'm guessing I'll be ready to drop some schools in Feb. Good luck w/ your interviews, mota; let us know how Tulane is coming along. I hope they will be able to open in the fall like they're planning.

24. tigress

tigress queen of the jungle
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm with Q (I love your new avatar btw). I plan on filing taxes as soon as I get my W2s, and hopefully parents will do the same, so financial aid stuff should be in by the end of January. The only thing is I think some schools don't actually let you know about aid packages until later, anyway. As soon as I know that info, though, I'll probably start dropping acceptances.

Good luck to you mota. :thumbup:

25. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    please please please please please please please please folks who aren't planning on keeping VCU... please drop so I can get in before my husband gets a job in Maine!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!! :)

26. tigress

tigress queen of the jungle
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Shy are those your kids? They're adorable!

27. ShyRem

Attending Physician
    Yup, tigress, they are! They're up skiing with my husband (and their Dad - I know, unusual these days) today. I'm home wrapping Christmas gifts. :) :) :)

28. QofQuimica

Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

They're both beautiful, ShyRem. How old are they? I think they will both be breaking hearts left and right in a few more years. ;)

29. benfolds21

benfolds21 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I am holding a few right now but I will withdraw once I find out about finances and also about the MD/PhD program I applied to (March).

Good luck!

30. SpeedRacer

SpeedRacer Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

i'm holding one. can you believe it?? me! holding one!

31. ShyRem

Attending Physician
    They're 7 and 10 now. This picture was taken last year after a day of hiking in 100+ temps.

32. Messerschmitts

Messerschmitts Mythic Dawn acolyte
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Currently holding just 2, but I guess technically that's still "multiple". :p However, neither of them are a top choice (shhh...don't tell them), so I'm waiting to get off some waitlists myself.

33. MoosePilot

MoosePilot Y Bombardier
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :D :thumbup:

34. Dakota

Dakota Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm holding onto a few, but will drop one of them (VCU) within a few days (just so tough to bring myself to do it . . . not that I'm trying to hoard the spots, but it took so long to get here and it's hard for me to tell a school no thanks). So take heart VCU guys, that's one more spot that will be open for the next admissions time.

35. lexy10

lexy10 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Your children really are beautiful!

36. Mixtli

Mixtli Trying to smile real hard
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I guess I can add to that as well, if my state school, Maryland, takes me.

37. LadyWolverine

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm holding only 2 as well, but I'm waiting on 3 more decisions.

Does anyone else kinda feel like this is the biggest choice they will ever have to make in their lives? I'm totally over-analyzing this, but I've been beating myself up about it since my first acceptance.
    My train of thought has been working (overtime), for example: "School X has a great reputation, but it's private and therefore expensive, and I wasn't impressed with the facilities, but it's in a cool location. School Y is my state school, and would be a fantastic value, plus the facilities are absolutely amazing, but would I really be happy in the city/area in which is is located? School Z is in a great city in California (i.e. WARM!), but is also very expensive, yet it has kickass clinical experiences starting with year 1, even though I don't know if I would feel safe there..." and so on with all 5 schools.

IS ANYONE ELSE DOING THIS TO THEMSELVES???

I wish there were an easier way to choose. :(

Dr. Giggles, I really hope you get into Maryland. When did you interview? PM me and we can talk about UMD and Baltimore!!!

38. CerealBox

CerealBox Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Wolverine, it does feel like a super big deal to reject acceptances. i also keep second guessing myself... and its tough to decide between reputation, being close to my family, and money. really tough.

but i WILL be dropping some acceptances in january. Mota, i wonder if, when i drop them, I should include a request in my letters that they accept you in my place ;) i wish they would. i really hope you get in some place you want.

39. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    you might want to get your meds adjusted for that anger problem of yours

40. popbirch

popbirch Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm holding 3, I am still waiting for BU to get back to me. If I get in there I think I will drop those three. I second the fact that this a tough position, I never thought I would be in, to decide which school. They all have positives, that is why I applied to them, but it is hard to pick. Its a big decision, too, because it has ramification for my entire career. If I pick I school I end up not liking it will certainly effect my grades and could effect what specialities I have access too.

41. QofQuimica

Yes, I feel the same way. My problem is that I love just about every school I've seen. That's why I applied to them. If you ask me where I want to go, it will be different every time. Usually my favorite school is the last place that I interviewed. :laugh: I thought that I would be able to use money as a deciding factor, but now it seems like that won't be the case. (This is one of the few advantages of being 30+; many schools will consider me independent for financial aid purposes.) The things that I'm thinking about now seem either petty (weather, size of city) or arbitrary (my gut feeling). On the one hand, I feel very pressured to make the "right" choice, whatever that means exactly. But on the other hand, I don't think I can really make a "bad" decision with any of them. Somehow it really disturbs me to pick one based on a "gut feeling" instead of a "real" reason though. :p

42. Dakota

Dakota Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think gut feeling is just as valid as anything else. I think "gut" is really the summation of a bunch of little factors that can be difficult to quantify, but are important nonetheless.

43. somewhere2010

somewhere2010 SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i'm holding onto 3 acceptances...have a big scholarship from one school, and hoping to use that to get more! also withdrew from 2 waitlists because i know i wouldn't hold out until mid-may or through the summer to go to either of those schools (one of them i hated!). but i plan to keep all my acceptances cuz i only interviewed at schools where i was really interested.

44. anystream

anystream Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    need advice: is there any advantage to holding onto multiple acceptances?

45. GoodEats

GoodEats SDN Donor
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I feel exactly like that. Well, I will in a few months. I'm holding out on the hair pulling until I see the financial aid packages to really start weeding out schools. Than again, I'm only at 2 acceptances versus the many it seems some have.

Something that some of my friends and I have discussed is having a little med school decision party where we can all sit down and discuss what we saw/felt with each school. I think it'll work great so long as people trust their own instincts over other people's, and keep their own priorities instead of adopting their friends'.

And yeah, holding multiple acceptances is good for keeping your options open. You never know what could happen, be it a big life change, a scholarship you never thought you'd get, or a second look weekend that blew you away. Though definitely if you're sure that a school's not suited to you, please drop it to help fulfill someone else's dreams.