How many people are taking gap years because of the new MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentDoctor#1000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduating this semester and entering into a Gap year. I'm torn between taking the MCAT this May or waiting until more materials are released, and taking it next year.

My main gripe with this is the fact that I'm not convinced the new test will be much more difficult than the last. Difficult, still, but it should be doable with prep right?

I mean...basically the basic sciences remain the same. Using the SN2ED for Chem, Physics, and Orgo as per usual. The only difference really is an added Psych.

And even then, adding in a social science component, imo, makes the test even more doable. Social sciences are easier than hard sciences, and being able to cover that material based on the AAMC list of topics should be very doable.

And of course, verbal are per usual.

The only stark difference I see is the Biochemistry component. So, now instead of just picking up an EK Bio book, a more in-depth biology book will be needed.

I really don't feel like delaying for a year, but after reading SDN posts about new MCAT panic, I'm sort of scared of it too.

EDIT: And on top of that...I wonder everyone will be in the dark about this test, so won't scores be normalized as per usual?

Members don't see this ad.

These posts by @Narmerguy along with conversations I've had with other SDNers in private influenced my decision to wait until 2016 (I'm a non-trad). Essentially, I know I'll feel more comfortable (and confident) if I have more AAMC practice exams to work with.

Old MCAT confers an advantage for people who have time/money to prepare a lot. The new MCAT reduces some of those benefits because it's not yet clear how to prepare, so who comes out on top may not be the usual cohort of people pounding away at review books/classes. I include myself in this, I studied quite hard from review materials which obviously helped my score. I suspect many on SDN are similar (just look at the popularity of SN2ed's study schedule) so this looks like a dicey situation from their individual perspective, even if it changes nothing in aggregate.

I look at it this way: If I (Person A) previously had 100 hours to study for the exam, those 100 hours just became less efficient. The diminishing returns for those 100 hours start decreasing earlier, because a lot of my energy will be shooting in the dark. However, if I (Person B) am only studying 30 hours anyway, making more of the exam "harder" to study for won't affect me as much as I wasn't studying that much to begin with. Basically this change will increase the variance, which for people at the top hurts most because they were already at the top--increasing variance mostly serves to jumble them down, whereas people below them can get lucky and go up.

Studying will become extra important but people don't know what to study and they can only study so much (not to mention there's more material to study). Willpower is finite. People who depended on studying to do well will feel the pressure the most. I agree with you, knowing what to master allowed me to basically focus 100% of my energy on relevant material.

The above posts can be found here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...lective-in-just-a-span-of-5-10-years.1116629/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm graduating this semester and entering into a Gap year. I'm torn between taking the MCAT this May or waiting until more materials are released, and taking it next year.

My main gripe with this is the fact that I'm not convinced the new test will be much more difficult than the last. Difficult, still, but it should be doable with prep right?

I mean...basically the basic sciences remain the same. Using the SN2ED for Chem, Physics, and Orgo as per usual. The only difference really is an added Psych.

And even then, adding in a social science component, imo, makes the test even more doable. Social sciences are easier than hard sciences, and being able to cover that material based on the AAMC list of topics should be very doable.

And of course, verbal are per usual.

The only stark difference I see is the Biochemistry component. So, now instead of just picking up an EK Bio book, a more in-depth biology book will be needed.

I really don't feel like delaying for a year, but after reading SDN posts about new MCAT panic, I'm sort of scared of it too.

EDIT: And on top of that...I wonder everyone will be in the dark about this test, so won't scores be normalized as per usual?

Actually, I think adding more subjects make preparation harder/longer - no matter how "easy" the subject is.

Sn2ed is long enough. The additional subjects just make it worse.

At the very least, the other subjects are taking away from your prep time from the traditional subjects.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? Another thread about the new MCAT? *le sigh* Just suck it up and take it when you feel ready to take it.

Reactions: 4 users
A lot of people are dealing with this dilemma so it's definitely a topic that should be discussed.
Is discussion really going to do anything, tho? The only productive thing I've heard so far is "Adcoms will continue to use percentiles to assess applicants."

Is discussion really going to do anything, tho? The only productive thing I've heard so far is "Adcoms will continue to use percentiles to assess applicants."
Dude, if I'd been accepted to Medical School and taken the old MCAT, I think I'd find a lot more entertaining things to do than argue on SDN.

Heck, I'd be as far away from SDN as is possible haha.

Dude, if I'd been accepted to Medical School and taken the old MCAT, I think I'd find a lot more entertaining things to do than argue on SDN.

Heck, I'd be as far away from SDN as is possible haha.
I'm at work right now, so I don't have access to any other forms of entertainment lol.

Yeah, and the reason you stated is enough for some to take it this year. However, I'm guessing that others are waiting for more material (which obviously provides certain advantages). And the posts I quoted above serve as a reminder that it might be better to wait another year.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm at work right now, so I don't have access to any other forms of entertainment lol.

Also I checked out your MD apps, EVMS, nice! I'm a VA resident but I don't think they'd show me much love, 3.68 cGPA, 3.45 sGPA. Prob will have to go out of state but anything for that MD!

And yeah, I'm still in two minds about taking it this year. My thinking has been, if it's so hard, won't everyone suck? So I should prepare the heck out of it, and maybe the cards will be in my favor. I dunno if that's a stupid way of thinking though.

Also I checked out your MD apps, EVMS, nice! I'm a VA resident but I don't think they'd show me much love, 3.68 cGPA, 3.45 sGPA. Prob will have to go out of state but anything for that MD!

And yeah, I'm still in two minds about taking it this year. My thinking has been, if it's so hard, won't everyone suck? So I should prepare the heck out of it, and maybe the cards will be in my favor. I dunno if that's a stupid way of thinking though.
IIRC, the percentiles have already been established, so if everyone sucks, everyone will have a low score. Like I said, take it when you're 100% absolutely ready to take it.

If you recall from my MDapps, I have to go OOS regardless of where else I might get in, and my scores were fine. You don't know what'll happen until you're in the midst of application season.

Members don't see this ad :)
IIRC, the percentiles have already been established, so if everyone sucks, everyone will have a low score. Like I said, take it when you're 100% absolutely ready to take it.

If you recall from my MDapps, I have to go OOS regardless of where else I might get in, and my scores were fine. You don't know what'll happen until you're in the midst of application season.
But isn't the MCAT scored so it's representative of the population taking it? It's on a curve right? I think that's why it will take nearly 2 months for the first test takers scores to come out because the median values and stuff haven't been established since...no one has taken it lol

Your GPA is fine (for EVMS). The sGPA could be somewhat higher, but if you do well on the MCAT, you should be golden.

Your GPA is fine (for EVMS). The sGPA could be somewhat higher, but if you do well on the MCAT, you should be golden.

Man, I hope so. I know friends of mine who are VA residents who've had higher sGPAs than me and gotten rejected so I'm really going to have to do well on the MCAT. Sucks because EVMS would be so affordable for me! VA schools generally are very oos-friendly, which as an in-stater, makes me wish my parents had chosen to settle in Texas haha.

Man, I hope so. I know friends of mine who are VA residents who've had higher sGPAs than me and gotten rejected so I'm really going to have to do well on the MCAT. Sucks because EVMS would be so affordable for me! VA schools generally are very oos-friendly, which as an in-stater, makes me wish my parents had chosen to settle in Texas haha.
And people with lower stats have gotten accepted. It's not all about stats, especially once people start interviewing. At that point, it's more about how the school feels about the applicants in person and where people fit the best. EVMS would be a great fit for people interested in primary care and in serving the Hampton Roads area. It would be less of a great fit for people who are really interested in research or who absolutely want to specialize.

And people with lower stats have gotten accepted. It's not all about stats, especially once people start interviewing. At that point, it's more about how the school feels about the applicants in person and where people fit the best. EVMS would be a great fit for people interested in primary care and in serving the Hampton Roads area. It would be less of a great fit for people who are really interested in research or who absolutely want to specialize.
Oops....lol

Why would you give up a whole year just because of the MCAT 'panic'? No one can say for sure whether it will be harder or easier than before, so why not just study your hardest and take a shot at it when you feel ready.

I personally would not wait an entire year just for new materials to be released if I had the rest of my app in order and ready to go.

These posts by @Narmerguy along with conversations I've had with other SDNers in private influenced my decision to wait until 2016 (I'm a non-trad). Essentially, I know I'll feel more comfortable (and confident) if I have more AAMC practice exams to work with.

The above posts can be found here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...lective-in-just-a-span-of-5-10-years.1116629/

Well to be fair, my intent was not to discourage people from applying. I doubt it will make much of a difference for the vast majority of MCAT takers who weren't studying that much or only studying only a moderate amount. Studying and preparing will still allow students to do better than those who don't, but there will be more instances where people who study a lot don't get as high a "percentile" score because the material is harder to prepare. This is a curse, but also a real opportunity. If you can figure out a way to study the new psych/soc stuff or other changes more effectively than others, you'll be able to make your studying disproportionately effective. I'm not sure what that method would be as I haven't tried to keep up with the study resources too much. However, the results will always favor those who study the hardest. It's all about figuring out your competitive advantage, but I should stress that this is really only relevant for people looking for top scores as the "diminishing returns" I mentioned make this less relevant at lower scores

That said, some people often act as if taking a year off is some sort of death sentence (not talking about you, Cyber). There's nothing wrong with taking a year off, I took two and loved it. If you have meaningful things you could be doing with your year you should consider it. If the MCAT change is the excuse you need to take a break, by all means go for it.

Why would you give up a whole year just because of the MCAT 'panic'? No one can say for sure whether it will be harder or easier than before, so why not just study your hardest and take a shot at it when you feel ready.

I personally would not wait an entire year just for new materials to be released if I had the rest of my app in order and ready to go.

There are no real official practice tests. One low MCAT score can be a problem. I would hate to have my back against the wall before the cycle even begins.

No, the percentiles are estimated for the first few administrations. Google the AAMC lit for adcoms.

+ Sociology and the biochem stuff you allude to later.

What a bunch of sissies. Just study and take the test.

Reactions: 3 users

That's easy for you to say if you have already been accepted to medical school. If you were in the same shoes, you would understand.

There are no real official practice tests. One low MCAT score can be a problem. I would hate to have my back against the wall before the cycle even begins.

Everyone's in the same boat, with the same disadvantage. I just don't think it's worth a year of my life to hang out waiting for a practice test.

But of course, that's just my opinion. People should do what they feel is best

Reactions: 1 users
Everyone's in the same boat, with the same disadvantage. I just don't think it's worth a year of my life to hang out waiting for a practice test.

But of course, that's just my opinion. People should do what they feel is best

Fair enough. On another note, and to the credit of some of the posters with differing views, the new MCAT will be offered in April, May, and June. There might be time to have feedback from other students who were the first ones in line to take it.

Lol, this post cracked me up ;)
$T2eC16J,!y!FIdLe1!cBBSS3VUyTyQ~~60_35.JPG

While I won't be taking a gap year, the new MCAT (which I didn't find out about until I was entering college) did force me to change my four year plan with respect to course scheduling. In order to take the MCAT before the summer of my junior year (trad application) while still being able to graduate in four years with two majors I had to take some very loaded semesters in the first two years. Of course, I could have done many things to alleviate this: No double major, take a gap year, etc. But I didn't want to.

The lack of materials does not really intimidate me. The amount of hoops you have to jump to stay Trad these days however is pretty insane. You essentially have to complete an entire degree's worth of material in two years if you want to actually check off every class on the new MCAT and if you didn't start off with a ton of AP/IB credit and a healthy amount of motivation it would probably be impossible or very arduous for you to do that. Assuming no AP credit one would have to take all of the lectures at once, essentially, and postpone the labs in order to comfortably fit it into a science major schedule. If your not a science major, well have fun taking almost nothing in your major sequence until your junior year.

The semester after my MCAT I'm not taking a single science class, if all goes to plan, and I'm very thankful.

Reactions: 4 users
I will admit that us recent test takers have had it really easy. I mean, c'mon. We took a 3.5 hour test that covers verbal, bio, chem, physics, and o chem. Not only will this new exam test stamina, but also new knowledge of Biochem and psych. I don't think anyone who has taken it recently should say anything.

Well to be fair, my intent was not to discourage people from applying. I doubt it will make much of a difference for the vast majority of MCAT takers who weren't studying that much or only studying only a moderate amount. Studying and preparing will still allow students to do better than those who don't, but there will be more instances where people who study a lot don't get as high a "percentile" score because the material is harder to prepare. This is a curse, but also a real opportunity. If you can figure out a way to study the new psych/soc stuff or other changes more effectively than others, you'll be able to make your studying disproportionately effective. I'm not sure what that method would be as I haven't tried to keep up with the study resources too much. However, the results will always favor those who study the hardest. It's all about figuring out your competitive advantage, but I should stress that this is really only relevant for people looking for top scores as the "diminishing returns" I mentioned make this less relevant at lower scores

That said, some people often act as if taking a year off is some sort of death sentence (not talking about you, Cyber). There's nothing wrong with taking a year off, I took two and loved it. If you have meaningful things you could be doing with your year you should consider it. If the MCAT change is the excuse you need to take a break, by all means go for it.
I didn't mean to put you on the spot with my previous post. Also, I didn't think you were advocating for people to put off applying. You did however remind me that there are advantages to having more "relevant material" available. Granted (as you mentioned) those who put in quality effort will do just fine without more AAMC tests. In addition, I'm guessing the 3rd party exams (i.e. Kaplan, PR, etc) will be challenging enough to fill the AAMC void. I just know that this process will be more comfortable for me with additional AAMC practice tests. Obviously, this is a personal endeavor and the approach will differ from one test taker to another.

Anyway, good luck to everyone who is taking it this year!!
34d.png

I'm taking the MCAT in May. I didn't even consider putting it off. Yes, it's true that there aren't many resources available for studying. But that problem applies to everyone. It's not like I'll be competing against anyone who knows things about the test that I don't, because we're all in the dark here. And since it's your percentile that really matters, and not how many questions you get right, I can't imagine that I'll be at a disadvantage by taking the test in May rather than waiting a year. Might as well get it over with now.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm taking the MCAT in May. I didn't even consider putting it off. Yes, it's true that there aren't many resources available for studying. But that problem applies to everyone. It's not like I'll be competing against anyone who knows things about the test that I don't, because we're all in the dark here. And since it's your percentile that really matters, and not how many questions you get right, I can't imagine that I'll be at a disadvantage by taking the test in May rather than waiting a year. Might as well get it over with now.
Cool! Have you started studying yet? I just finished writing up my plan and am starting tomorrow..hopefully I'm not already too late haha

Also I'm glad you always pay your debts.

Sure, but it makes it much harder. Plenty of similarly situated candidates never make it.
Not always, since there's overqualification, but that's another point.

In this scenario, the school we were talking about (EVMS) has an average matriculating GPA that is still lower than what the person I was talking to has, so there's not much of a reason for his/her stats to be too worrisome.

I am going to keep studying this semester, then take the test if I feel confident in May. If I am not confident in April, I will adjust my strategy and take a gap year. I am concerned about how competitive this year might be, as so many people rushed to take the old MCAT and will be applying this year. Still, next year will be competitive too because so many are planning a gap year.
As for the sciences being the same, the Biochem is my biggest concern. I don't think my class is that hard, but those that took the sample sections seemed to think it was very difficult.

A gap year costs you a year of attending level income. That's 200k->1M. That's just dumb.
Everyone is in the same boat, you don't need a MCAT review book to prepare for the new material.
Think long and hard about your lost income and if your fears are really worth at least about the same as all 4 years of tuition.

A gap year costs you a year of attending level income. That's 200k->1M. That's just dumb.
Everyone is in the same boat, you don't need a MCAT review book to prepare for the new material.
Think long and hard about your lost income and if your fears are really worth at least about the same as all 4 years of tuition.
Do you mean all gap years aren't worth it, or just in OP's case about worrying/preparing for the new MCAT? I'd argue that a gap year (or more) can substantially improve one's application if they do amazing EC's. I'd argue that some people also have to take gap year(s) to get all the prereq's done if they decided on medicine late or are career-changers. And what kind of physician makes 1M nowadays?

I'm referring to the title of this thread.
Many specialists can earn very high incomes depending on their set up and payer mix. 1M is not out of reach for many, they may be the top 5%, but someone has to be there. In my field, income can vary by more than 3x. Of course the people at the top are generally working the hardest.

I'm referring to the title of this thread.
Many specialists can earn very high incomes depending on their set up and payer mix. 1M is not out of reach for many, they may be the top 5%, but someone has to be there. In my field, income can vary by more than 3x. Of course the people at the top are generally working the hardest.
That's reassuring.

I waited because I took it the first year it came out and so knew next to nothing about it. I wouldn't have been able to take biochem until late in the cycle so I took the MCAT at the end of the summer instead of the beginning, finished biochem, and then did some dedicated study time.

I waited because I took it the first year it came out and so knew next to nothing about it. I wouldn't have been able to take biochem until late in the cycle so I took the MCAT at the end of the summer instead of the beginning, finished biochem, and then did some dedicated study time.

Lmao why did u bump this old ass thread. It isn't even relevant anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.