How Many People are Typically Pulled Off Waitlists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

femme

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many people are accepted in order to fill a med school class? At one of my interview locations the coordinator said it took 250 people to fill the 110 person class and I was just wondering what other people have heard/what schools/etc. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

femme said:
How many people are accepted in order to fill a med school class? At one of my interview locations the coordinator said it took 250 people to fill the 110 person class and I was just wondering what other people have heard/what schools/etc. Thanks!

It varies with the school. The higher ranked the school, the less people it takes to pull of a waitlist. I heard the same data you heard at one of the schools I interviewed at, but haven't heard much from other schools. I think U of M told us that they wanted to minemize the people they have to take off the waitlist because it was an indicator of their ranking.

Members don't see this ad :)
femme said:
if u look into the MSAR and find out the "accepted" column from ur school to the actual class size, u can estimate about how many people came off. however this varies from year to year. u maybe can check the last 5 years for whatever school and get a better picture.

femme said:

It's totally school specific. Many schools accept 2 or 3 times the number of people to fill their class and still need the waitlist to fill spots. Others (especially the most prestigious schools, like Harvard) probably only need to accept a small percentage above the number of spots to not need to get too deep into the waitlist.
Some schools have historically filled close to half its classes from the waitlist while there are others where the waitlist tends to be a deadzone and traditionally doesn't ever move. You should search for a thread from prior years -- it was linked to a few months back -- which lists the schools and the percentage of people historically getting in off the waitlists.

does anyone know about OSU? i'm in the alternate pool, and was wondering what my chances were...i REALLY like that place

KonHndrkx said:
does anyone know about OSU? i'm in the alternate pool, and was wondering what my chances were...i REALLY like that place

if you mean ohio state, they interviewed 683 and accepted 369 to enroll 210 (2003 stats) so who knows what it is this year. i believe their applications were up. i know that osu is a GOOD, higher-ranked alternative (#38) for some who are top-20 bound (but i would hardly call it a "safety"), so i would suspect there'd be some positive waitlist movement when the nonrollers start--rolling. it is a great place! i hope you get in!!

virilep said:
if u look into the MSAR and find out the "accepted" column from ur school to the actual class size, u can estimate about how many people came off. however this varies from year to year. u maybe can check the last 5 years for whatever school and get a better picture.

I apologize for my ignorance, but what is MSAR?

Law2Doc said:
It's totally school specific. Many schools accept 2 or 3 times the number of people to fill their class and still need the waitlist to fill spots. Others (especially the most prestigious schools, like Harvard) probably only need to accept a small percentage above the number of spots to not need to get too deep into the waitlist.
Some schools have historically filled close to half its classes from the waitlist while there are others where the waitlist tends to be a deadzone and traditionally doesn't ever move. You should search for a thread from prior years -- it was linked to a few months back -- which lists the schools and the percentage of people historically getting in off the waitlists.

anyone able to find this?

MSAR - Medical School Admissions Requirements

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the MSAR has the number of applicants, number of interviewees and then the number of students in the entering class...but NOT the number accepted. Where is this information?

femme said:

I remember reading some place recently that most schools seem to pull about half their class from the waitlist, even some of the very prestigious schools like hopkins. I think harvard pulls about 20-30% which is an unusually low number, even for such a prestigious school.

but everyone is right that it will vary by school and year...

femme said:
MSAR - Medical School Admissions Requirements

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the MSAR has the number of applicants, number of interviewees and then the number of students in the entering class...but NOT the number accepted. Where is this information?

The US News Ultimate Guide to Medical Schools has it, but it may be on their online accessible charts as well.

hi,
i saw from a post on the pre-allo forum that you have access to interview/accept stats for various schools (2003 version). If it wouldn't be too much, could you provide interview/accept data for mount sinai, ucla, uscd, and einstein?
Thank you so much,
John

Long_John said:
hi,
i saw from a post on the pre-allo forum that you have access to interview/accept stats for various schools (2003 version). If it wouldn't be too much, could you provide interview/accept data for mount sinai, ucla, uscd, and einstein?
Thank you so much,
John

interviewed/accepted/enrolled
MSSM 726/331/120
UCLA 728/238/121
UCSD 521/274/121
Einstein 1526/576/180

note: this is from the 2004 us news report, but the stats are for 2003

striped sweater said:
MSSM 726/331/120
UCLA 728/238/121
UCSD 521/274/121
Einstein 1526/576/180

i am always confused about these data. Can someone please explain?? For example, I am wait-listed at Einstein. They accepted 576 people last year to fill a class of 180. Does this number include acceptances from waitlist, or just direct acceptances?? Normally, for direct acceptances, how many would the school give out? The number of their class sizes??

And, someone on this forum made a remark that a school typically accept 2x or 3x people to fill their class size. Is this all straight or does it include wait-list?

Sorry,I never have this system straight in my mind.

i am assuming that these people are accepted from the waitlist...correct me if i'm wrong...

striped sweater said:
MSSM 726/331/120
UCLA 728/238/121
UCSD 521/274/121
Einstein 1526/576/180

thanks for the post striped sweater.
i'm just a little confused by the data. USNEWS says ucla interviewed 728, on its website it says "For the 2004 entering freshman class, the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA interviewed 600 applicants to fill a class of 121 students"
:confused:

Long_John said:
thanks for the post striped sweater.
i'm just a little confused by the data. USNEWS says ucla interviewed 728, on its website it says "For the 2004 entering freshman class, the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA interviewed 600 applicants to fill a class of 121 students"
:confused:

these numbers are for 2003; i suppose they could have interviewed fewer in 2004 for some reason.

and to faraday... i would think that the number accepted means just that... the number that had to be accepted to net the number that matriculated. thus many must have come from waitlists.

“How many people are typically pulled off waitlists?”

“How many people are accepted in order to fill a med school class?”

I think these are related but (somewhat surprisingly) quite different questions. Schools find their own balance of “up front” vs. waitlist admissions, and it isn’t necessarily a function of school quality (or rank). The school where “it took 250 people to fill 110 person class” could mean it admitted 230 up front and only a handful from the waitlist or it could mean it admitted 150 initially and a bundle from the waitlist.

I think some schools see an advantage in relying heavily on their waitlists. It can give them an opportunity to get a more solid fix on which applicants are likeliest to enroll, allowing such schools an opportunity to “protect” their matriculation and acceptance rates.