1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

How many people here did get published?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003], Jul 25, 2002.

1. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member
    7+ Year Member

Just curious. Please, indicate the journal, traditional/non-traditional student, and first author/coauthor. How advantegeous these publications anyway for the med school admissions?

I will start the list

Spiderman - J Endocrinology, traditional, co-author.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member
    7+ Year Member

Why? Some. In that order. --Trek

4. bruinmojo

bruinmojo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am techincally the primary author for a paper that we recently submitted to JACS (Journal of American Chemical Society). We are waiting word from the refs of any corrections needed before publication.

bruinmojo - Computational Chemistry, traditional, primary author.

I'm hoping that this will boost my chances :/

5. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

a few abstracts. not even primary author. see you in grenada!

6. Trek

7+ Year Member

At their veternary podiatry school, no less. Chumps ;) --Trek

7. dr kevin40

dr kevin40 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

dr kevin40- Journal of Biol Chemistry (i kinda had to use an alias for reasons i don't want to disclose) i was first author tho, and this was before my freshman year of college. also published 2 abstracts...my prof in college submitted recently to Neuron i believe, but i'm 2nd author on that one. the reserach i'm doing this summer, not there yet, but hoping to wrap it up and submit to Nature or science. first author of course. traditional app. i don't do reserach to boost my app, i just kinda like learning about science.

8. Trek

7+ Year Member

Callin BS on this too. Another 10 bucks on it. --Trek

9. 1st Rain Drop

1st Rain Drop Sugarsnap Pea Snapper
    7+ Year Member

dr kevin40- Journal of Biol Chemistry
    1st Rain Drop - Clin Infec Dis, Am J Infec Control, Infections of Leisure (chapter 12); non-trad, all first author.

Some interviewers were highly impressed (surgeons, peds, residents) while others didn't seem to care less about them (dean of admissions).

10. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

7+ Year Member

dr. Kevin, are traditional or non-traditional? Do you have a BS or MS degree?

11. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

7+ Year Member

Trek, try to make sense in you posts, plz.

12. exigente chica

7+ Year Member

Exigente chica- pending article at JBC, 5 published first author abstracts at national meetings

13. jot

jot

jot - J Kitten psychology, primary dish washer.
    1st Rain Drop - Clin Infec Dis, Am J Infec Control, Infections of Leisure (chapter 12); non-trad, all first author.

14. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    DW- Clinical and Diagnostic Immunology Laboratory-non traditional, first author, and another manuscript in prep (hopefully, damn these med school applications)

I guess I qualify as non traditional, I'm only 22 but finished undergrad two years ago and have been working in the interim.

peace,
    DW

15. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench
    7+ Year Member

I have a patent. What for?? A BBQ grill burner and ignition system!! Oh yeah!!!

Hey, atleast it's something. Perhaps it will give an adcom member a laugh and he/she will want to meet me. :)

I'm a non-traditional student. I'm 26.

16. Barton

Barton Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

-Spiderman - J Endocrinology, traditional, co-author.
    -bruinmojo - Computational Chemistry, traditional, primary author.
    -dr kevin40- Journal of Biol Chemistry
    -jot - J Kitten psychology, primary dish washer.
    -1st Rain Drop - Clin Infec Dis, Am J Infec Control, Infections of -Leisure (chapter 12); non-trad, all first author.
    -DW- Clinical and Diagnostic Immunology Laboratory-non traditional, first author, and another manuscript in prep (hopefully, damn these med school applications)
    -Barton-Journal of Nuclear Medicine (2), Journal of Nuclear Medicine Techology (2), Journal of American Health System Pharmacy (1) (some first author, some co-author)

17. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches

Medical Student
    are you serious? with your other credentials nowithstanding, that should be an interesting conversation piece come interview time. And if you could somehow tie that to your motivation to become a physician, I'd at least be mightily impressed. :)

18. dvm

dvm Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

DW- Clinical and Diagnostic Immunology Laboratory-non traditional, first author, and another
    manuscript in prep
    dvm J Vet Pharmacology and Therapeutics, non-traditional first author, three in Lab An Sci and one in Theriogenology as Co-author

19. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench
    7+ Year Member

Yeup, I hope so. The thing actually works too - 20,000 sold and not ONE failure or customer complaint. The engineers tell me that has to be some kind of a record. :)

Too bad I don't OWN the patnent. The company I work for paid for all the lawyers etc, so I'm the inventor but not the owner. Oh well, I'll have to get rich on something else. By the way, if med school doesn't work out we should all become intellectual properties lawyers. Those guys make BANK.

20. dr kevin40

dr kevin40 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

spiderman, traditional applicant. don't have my BS yet. altho according to trek, i have a lot of it. :)

what happened? ppl here cut out my published abstracts.

21. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

DW- Clinical and Diagnostic Immunology Laboratory-non traditional, first author, and another
    manuscript in prep
    dvm J Vet Pharmacology and Therapeutics, non-traditional first author, three in Lab An Sci and one in Theriogenology as Co-author

the boy wonder - playboy magazine, readers letters section, June 2000. Sole Author

22. Spiderman - J Endocrinology, traditional, co-author.
    manuscript in prep
    Trinners - JBC (1st author), JBC (2nd author, in press), meeting abstract.

23. Femtochemistry

Femtochemistry Skunk Works
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Femtochemistry- Resuscitation Journal; co-author.
    manuscript in prep

Trinners - JBC (1st author), JBC (2nd author, in press), meeting abstract.

24. finney

finney Member
    7+ Year Member

hey femto
    drop the ether from your grinard

finney
    5 ochem papers (co-author)
    1 geriatric bioscience (lead author)

25. efex101

efex101 attending

Attending Physician
    Still pending co-author for Cancer Research, non-trad, double major and minor still in school

26. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

it's so sad... i've worked 4 different research jobs for 4 years and have never been published. i think i just happened to work for unproductive people. oh well... oh yeah, and 1 year of the work was full time! for that project i managed/analyzed the data for a whole year with no help from anyone else and didn't even get acknowledged. such is life. just had to bitch a bit, because it really is ridiculous. like right now for instance, i'm creating tables (which requires quite a bit of thinking/reading) for a journal article to be published and am not even going to get acknowledged.

27. Skip Intro

Skip Intro Registered User
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have two publications in Epilepsia: Journal of the International League Against Epilepsy. Both on are the clinical use of a novel anti-epilepsy drug. They were also submitted and accepted as poster presentations at last December's American Epilepsy Society meeting in Philadelphia.

Publications are nice, but they won't mean squat if you don't have the numbers.

Nonetheless, good luck to you all,

-Skip

28. jot

jot

a lot about publishing depends on how generous your PI is - if s(he) happens to be a bighost/super productive - or if they are just starting out and want to publish a few huge one and save up their data. i think medcoms and md/phdcoms know that - so if they are interested, they want to know exactly how you contributed intellectually to the project. i know quite a few people that are even 2nd or 3rd authors on papers in great journals, but would probably have an anyeurism if you asked them what they did. but writing and going through the process is an excellent experience which anyone should take given the opportunity.

29. brickmanli

brickmanli Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

When I was in Beijing, my photo was published in the front page of the People's Youth Daily (It's not Seventeen) because of what I was wearing at the time (straw hat, Hawaiian shirt, and sneakers) garnered the name of Playboy.

30. lola - does your institution work to a "Good Research Practice" document or "Good Publication Practice"?? Check it out - at my institution right of authorship for students/research assistants is defined and protected. It's only fair...

31. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

i don't know if they publish a document like that -- probably. the one i really should have gotten some sort of acknowledgement/authorship on was from a va hospital. they may go through stanford's irb and stuff, but i'm not really sure. the reason i wasn't acknowledged is b/c i quit my job before the study was over. the girl who took over for the remaining 6 or so months of the study probably got 2nd author. anyway, it's just frustrating since i did A LOT of the work.

32. Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member

may I add my list? :) I feel really lucky that albeit a slow start to getting published, in the last year I've received numerous publications. If you guys want help on how I pulled it off (it's really all about approaching the right person the right way) PM me and I"ll let you know more. :)

Co-author: Experimental Aging, Psychosomatic Medicine, an Ob/Gyn journal, and one in works which most likely will end up at Psychoneuroendocrinology.

Primary author: Since it's quite an elite journal, I hesitate to mention the name, but I'll tell you that it's an Internation Journal of Bioethics.

I think research is great, but publications make the hard work oh-so-sweet. I really hope Lola get's her share. :(

Tweetie

33. rainmkre

rainmkre Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

rainmkre-traditional, Clinical and Diagnostic Immunology (under review), primary.

34. Caffeinated

Caffeinated Army Strong
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    First author, Optometry and Vision Science, will appear in next month's issue.

35. dr kevin40

dr kevin40 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

if u recall, i said i worked in lab as a high school student. this wasn't dabbling. this was hardcore, for 3 years. i had my own research project. i was westinghouse (intel) science talent search, dunno if u heard of it, but its the most prestigious science competition for under 18s. i was given an award that my state's governor (california) and her entourage came down to my high schooll to present to me. getting published in jbc isn't thaaat big of a deal bikini princess. he already owes me money for the comments he made about me on that ba/md thread. yall don't have to believe anything.

36. Femtochemistry

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

hmmm...you can't run a gringard without a solvent, and diethyl ether acts as the solvent. I am right?

37. Bikini Princess

7+ Year Member

I think Finney is just trying point out that you shouldn't have it in the chemical equation..

38. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

7+ Year Member

the way you write it, it looks like it is a reactant which is not true.

39. Femtochemistry

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    no...i wanted to put it over the arrow; trying to follow the convention, but i can't. I know its not a reactant, what the hell you think i am: a freshmen?!
    :p

40. Bikini Princess

7+ Year Member

:laugh: you're only 19, right? so you deserve it.

41. Femtochemistry

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  42. Femtochemistry

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    and that avatar...three...i mean two thumbs up! ;)