How many people know you're premed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you try to hide the fact that you're premed?

• No one knows I'm premed

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Only my family/friends know

Votes: 23 27.7%
  • Only ones that ask

Votes: 38 45.8%
  • Everyone should know!

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • It's obvious. I don't need to tell.

Votes: 12 14.5%

• Total voters
D

deleted838145

Do you keep the fact from your friends or family? Do you want people to know? Or do you not care?

Members don't see this ad.

No one knows because the premed label doesn't mean anything. If someone asks, it's better to say you're thinking about pursuing medicine but keeping options open.

Once you get accepted, you can be more open and confident by saying you are starting medical school in August of next year.

Reactions: 5 users
No one knows because the premed label doesn't mean anything. If someone asks, it's better to say you're thinking about pursuing medicine but keeping options open.

Once you get accepted, you can be more open and confident by saying you are starting medical school in August of next year.
I knew a guy who was "pre med" for a solid four semesters. He got Ds in every class we took together (chem, bio, physics) and an F in Ochem 1 before switching majors. When I asked him why he stayed pre med for so long without talking to his advisor, he said "being pre med is the easiest major to get girls."

o_Oo_Oo_O

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I gave vague responses (interested in..., thinking about...) until I was sure I could actually get into med school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I knew a guy who was "pre med" for a solid four semesters. He got Ds in every class we took together (chem, bio, physics) and an F in Ochem 1 before switching majors. When I asked him why he stayed pre med for so long without talking to his advisor, he said "being pre med is the easiest major to get girls."

o_Oo_Oo_O
Lol hasn't worked for me jk

Reactions: 1 user
The entire universe because I announce it via amplifier
My classmates, friends and family

Most of my friends are engineers, so I actively make a point that I'm not sure yet between doing a computationally based PhD or Medical School, but in reality I'm 100% set on being a doctor. I just personally hate pre-meds so I guess I try to distance myself from that label/stereotype. Only my parents and really close friends know I'm even remotely interested in medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't really put much stock in the label partially because my school is not a normal funnel for premed majors. The vast majority of people I know are engineers who are planning to go into industry or get their PhDs. My particular major is a bit more geared to med school, so I do get the question sometimes, but that's pretty much the only time I tell people that I'm premed.

Pretty much some extended family, and most of my friends. When people ask me, I say biology major. If they press more, in may say, I'm interested in medicine/ healthcare. If they still want to know what exactly I want I'll say pre med, I want to be a doctor. Change topic. Done

Now on a research site-- gate. I do say that I am a pre-med.

How many premeds know you're people?

Reactions: 7 users
I never understood why so many people feel the need to say "major + premed," when ask to state their major. Premed isn't a major and if you're a freshman, it really doesn't come off the way they probably think.

I bring it up when people ask what I want to do after college, but that's about it. I don't need everyone I meet to know exactly what career path I'm pursuing.

Reactions: 2 users
That is hilarious

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I never understood why so many people feel the need to say "major + premed," when ask to state their major. Premed isn't a major and if you're a freshman, it really doesn't come off the way they probably think.

I bring it up when people ask what I want to do after college, but that's about it. I don't need everyone I meet to know exactly what career path I'm pursuing.
Some places do have Bio/Chem/Psych-Premed majors...

Some places do have Bio/Chem/Psych-Premed majors...
Yeah, but those usually just denote a track. Premed classes alone are not enough to get a degree - it's not a true major. Plus, I was mainly talking about my school, where it is distinctively considered a track. Some of the majors have tracks they suggest for premeds (i.e. nutrition), but you're still just a nutrition major. I'm a biochem major, and didn't take different classes than my non premed roommate who is also a biochem major.

But the whole point is that at least at my school, you sound like you don't know what you're talking about when you suggest premed is your major, because it is not one.

I'm taking an ex-lawyer who just completed a DIY postbac, so when people ask what I'm doing, I do say I'm a premed. There isn't really any more apt description for what I'm doing with my life. So, yeah, pretty much everyone who knows me knows I'm applying to medical school this year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm the only one that know i'm going to take pre-med

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk