How many pharmacy schools did or will you apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cy19861126

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am just wondering how many pharmacy schools are you guys applying. I heard that you should apply for more than 1 school. However, I just finished my freshman year, and the prerequisites for each pharmacy schools are different. How am I able to finish the different prerequisites required by different schools before enrolling the pharmacy schools. How do you resolve this problem, do you just apply anyways?

Members don't see this ad.

cy19861126 said:
Hello, I am just wondering how many pharmacy schools are you guys applying. I heard that you should apply for more than 1 school. However, I just finished my freshman year, and the prerequisites for each pharmacy schools are different. How am I able to finish the different prerequisites required by different schools before enrolling the pharmacy schools. How do you resolve this problem, do you just apply anyways?

this is exactly why most pre-pharmacy students, although are only supposed to be in pre-pharmacy for 2 years, end up in it for 3 or even four years like myself. Be constructive though, work toward the pre-pharm and a BA or BS in the meantime.

cy19861126 said:

For me, it's pretty much UIC or bust. If I don't get in I will either move to Mexico and live on the beach or I will work my pharm tech job and try to get in 2007. ALL of my academics have been to meet UIC's requirements alone.

Chris

Members don't see this ad :)
Im only applying to one school this year. Various reasons.

I'm applying to 6 or 7, depending on whether I want to take the second part of Anatomy/Physiology or not. :rolleyes: After I heard how competitive it was, I wanted to guarantee that I would get into at least 1 school.

I have one main choice and others lined up after that.

It's been an expensive process, but I'm treating the cost like I would a 5-credit class... :)

At this point, I still don't have my pre-reqs all completed, but I have 6 schools I'm applying to, all of their pre-reqs can be accomplished by August 06. After applying and talking with the schools, I'll have a better feel for what I'll need to take my Summer semester. Hopefully it'll be 1 class (physics II), but it may be as many as 3 classes, which is cool because Intro to Science Fiction shouldn't be a class, it's too damn much fun! ;)

In general I'd look for trends, surely there are enough common classes between most of the schools (outside the hard sciences) that can be used for most schools. Granted if you're looking at Texas, it's going to be hard because I think they require two 3 hour history of Texas classes, but there's always distance learning! :smuggrin:

Apply as many as possible, especially with the level of competition to get in Rx school today. However, just take courses that focusing on the "primary" choice schools. Do an outline to see which school requirements are overlapped and take courses...good luck

KUMoose said:
In general I'd look for trends, surely there are enough common classes between most of the schools (outside the hard sciences) that can be used for most schools. Granted if you're looking at Texas, it's going to be hard because I think they require two 3 hour history of Texas classes, but there's always distance learning! :smuggrin:

When I talked to UT-Austin, they told me if I got in, I could take those Texas history classes later, since I'm from out of state.

freshbeatschris said:
For me, it's pretty much UIC or bust. If I don't get in I will either move to Mexico and live on the beach or I will work my pharm tech job and try to get in 2007. ALL of my academics have been to meet UIC's requirements alone.

Chris

I hear that. I put all my eggs in one basket. If I don't get into UNC I'll just have to keep trying :eek: or join the circus or something random like that.

b*rizzle said:
I hear that. I put all my eggs in one basket. If I don't get into UNC I'll just have to keep trying :eek: or join the circus or something random like that.

Come join the circus in Mexico with me. :D We can spend our off time finding rare herbal remedies for the poor folks that live in the area. :thumbup:

Chris

Members don't see this ad :)
Seven. Two are tied for firist choice, and the other 5 are backups. I feel like that is excessive but whatever. No matter where I get in, I'll have to deal with selling or renting my house, which is going to be a pain in the arse. :rolleyes:

b*rizzle said:

Dang it makes me feel old, class of 2001 UNC here.
But im applying to a few more though.

I only applied to 1 (UF) b/c that's the only school I wanted to go to. That being said, I was a pretty strong applicant and researched enough to know that UF was the place for me. It's not necessarily the wisest decision but if there's only 1 place you want to go then that's it.

I've tried posting two messages before and get kicked off, so this is a test.

sent all my applications to 12 Schools...i need to get in this year or else my family kick me out of the house...I been to College for 3 years, my parents always put me on pressure so my gpa is very high 3.74 and extraactitivies is many, u name it, volunteer, pharmacy experience for a year now...but my pcat is very low 7%...so that why i applied more school..if i retake this OCT and get below 50%..i will apply 3 more schools without PCAT, which me luck baby girls /boys :sleep:

freshbeatschris said:
Come join the circus in Mexico with me. :D We can spend our off time finding rare herbal remedies for the poor folks that live in the area. :thumbup:

Chris

I'm there. :cool:

PHARMDhope2b said:
Dang it makes me feel old, class of 2001 UNC here.
But im applying to a few more though.

What was your degree in? Let me know how your app process goes, it'd be great to know a classmate! :thumbup:

b*rizzle said:
I'm there. :cool:

What was your degree in? Let me know how your app process goes, it'd be great to know a classmate! :thumbup:

Hey man I was a Biology major, and a geology minor.
whats your major man.

PHARMDhope2b said:
Hey man I was a Biology major, and a geology minor.
whats your major man.

BS Bio, chem minor. That's too funny, I was a geology major for the first 1.5 years. I almost did the geochemistry track :D

Kevin Stewart is the freakin' man, by the way. :thumbup:

I'm applying to 4 schools, 3 out of state, 1 local. (UCSF, UCSD, USC, USN) Very difficult but I'm trying! :oops:

starsweet said:
When I talked to UT-Austin, they told me if I got in, I could take those Texas history classes later, since I'm from out of state.

SWEET!

I asked about that and the lady I talked to waffled, so I took them off the list. Time to call Austin again! It'll be weird being in a Big-12 school and it not be KU. Not *THAT* weird, cuz I could root for Texas against 10 other schools!

b*rizzle said:
BS Bio, chem minor. That's too funny, I was a geology major for the first 1.5 years. I almost did the geochemistry track :D

Kevin Stewart is the freakin' man, by the way. :thumbup:

cool, yeah he is, i like Dr. Bralower also.
Its hard to find fellow geol. major/minors onhere

I'm applying to 14, and it's going to cost me at least $1K for application fees alone. Last year I only applied to one school near me, but this year I am a lot more flexible and can move anywhere so I applied all over the country.

PHARMDhope2b said:
cool, yeah he is, i like Dr. Bralower also.
Its hard to find fellow geol. major/minors onhere

I never had Bralower, but I heard good things about him. That whole department is awesome. I think right now there are only about 15 undergraduate major/minors. If I hadn't decided on pharmacy, rocks it would have been. :cool:

cy19861126 said:

i will apply to all CA schools and maybe some out of state schools if i have time to prepare for the PCAT.

i think the prerequisites for the pharmacy schools that i want to go are only different by 1-3 classes. i can always take the additional required courses at a cc before i start pharm school. right now i'm just taking all the courses required by biochem major and ucsf pharmacy school.

I'm from WA, therefore, I will apply to WSU and UW. However, I did ED to VCU which I will get rejected by the end of October. Then I will apply to schools that I can apply to. I can move to anywhere. I really want to get into pharmacy school and become a pharmacist. Is it bad that I don't care where to go for pharmacy school?