How many pharmacy schools should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ngynththo

accepted pharmacy student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many pharmacy schools you applied? I don't know how many I should. Does the more the better? Does the re-applicants have less priority then the first time applicants, then I should apply at different schools next year if I fail this year?

Members don't see this ad.

ngynththo said:
How many pharmacy schools you applied? I don't know how many I should. Does the more the better? Does the re-applicants have less priority then the first time applicants, then I should apply at different schools next year if I fail this year?
Can't address the second question, but I think an average # of schools might be 5 or 6. Remember that each one will cost you more dollars in PharmCAS fees, supplemental fees, etc. plus interview travel if you get interviews. So, I think you want to balance applying to enough to get in vs. how much bucks you want to spend on the application process. Also, this might depend on what state you are in - some states have multiple programs that are public schools, and many states only have one "state" school.

I was geographically constrained, plus I had very good stats and 5 years of pharmacy work experience, so I only applied to 2 and got into both. However, I think most people do apply to at least a few more than that.

Target the cheapest accredited pharmacy schools -- particularly those in state.

It's all about minimizing the cost of the 3-4 years it takes to get that PharmD.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to three schools initially. One in-state and two "reach" schools. I dropped out of consideration for one school due to time constraints (more schools applied to equals more time devoted to the process). I got accepted to the two remaining schools and will attend my in-state school.

How many schools to apply to is an individual decision. Are you able to pay all those application fees and pay for travel to all those interviews? Are you able to uproot your life to another state? (For this reason many only apply to one local school.) And do you have the time to manage multiple applications. PharmCAS makes the process easier, but the supplemental application process is not centralized. Finally, how strong are your credentials?

Good luck in the process. It's challenging, but hopefully it will pay of in the end.

twester said:
I applied to three schools initially. One in-state and two "reach" schools. I dropped out of consideration for one school due to time constraints (more schools applied to equals more time devoted to the process). I got accepted to the two remaining schools and will attend my in-state school.

How many schools to apply to is an individual decision. Are you able to pay all those application fees and pay for travel to all those interviews? Are you able to uproot your life to another state? (For this reason many only apply to one local school.) And do you have the time to manage multiple applications. PharmCAS makes the process easier, but the supplemental application process is not centralized. Finally, how strong are your credentials?

Good luck in the process. It's challenging, but hopefully it will pay of in the end.

Thank you very much. My GPA is 3.78 but for 18 semesters credits only at the end of Fall 2006. I want to apply for 2007. Any hope? I just move to USA 11 months. My experience is in Vietnam. ECE evaluated my foreign transcripts as: "completion 6 years in a medicine program". Do you think it would help?

rxlynn said:
Can't address the second question, but I think an average # of schools might be 5 or 6. Remember that each one will cost you more dollars in PharmCAS fees, supplemental fees, etc. plus interview travel if you get interviews. So, I think you want to balance applying to enough to get in vs. how much bucks you want to spend on the application process. Also, this might depend on what state you are in - some states have multiple programs that are public schools, and many states only have one "state" school.

I was geographically constrained, plus I had very good stats and 5 years of pharmacy work experience, so I only applied to 2 and got into both. However, I think most people do apply to at least a few more than that.
Thank you very much. I moved to US 11 months ago. I have experience outside the US, 10 years as a physician and 9 years in Pfizer company. Does it help? Do you think I am quite old now (46 yrs old) to study Pharmacy?

ngynththo said:
Thank you very much. I moved to US 11 months ago. I have experience outside the US, 10 years as a physician and 9 years in Pfizer company. Does it help? Do you think I am quite old now (46 yrs old) to study Pharmacy?

I turn 50 in December and will graduate in May. You're never too old. :)

The number of schools depends on your stats and extarcurriculars... Good GPA, PCAT, and plenty of experience then apply to few (4-5) --the ones that you think you will get in for sure.... Not so great GPA, PCAT, and so-so experience apply to as many as you can to increase your chances....

^^what if great GPA, very good PCAT, but no pharm expeirence but good health experience otherwise?

Narrow down school by what you could afford. Then look at the average stats of accepted students. Then apply to as many as you can afford that you have realistic chance of getting into.

"great GPA, very good PCAT, but no pharm expeirence but good health experience otherwise" sounds pretty golden to me.

DownonthePharm said:
Narrow down school by what you could afford. Then look at the average stats of accepted students. Then apply to as many as you can afford that you have realistic chance of getting into.

"great GPA, very good PCAT, but no pharm expeirence but good health experience otherwise" sounds pretty golden to me.

Ditto.

The more schools you apply to, the better your chances are of getting in somewhere. However, if you get in everywhere, you will wonder why you spent so much applying to all those schools :)

I in general went into the process thinking of 4 schools. One reach school, one school I was sure I could get into, and 2 others I wouldn't mind attending just in case.

Also, when considering how many schools you can afford to apply to, keep in mind the cost of attending interviews (flights, hotels, meals, etc.) The out of town interviews probably cost me $400 each average.

I applied to 7 schools, received interview invitation for 3 schools and accepted to 1 school.

Pay attention to the schools that take only residents of the state they are in (Arkansas, Louisiana-Monroe). They make very few exceptions (if any) to that rule.