How many pharmacy students does University of the Sciences accept per year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeekerofTruth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied on December 27 but I got an email saying that my file was sent to be reviewed on January 10
icon9.png
csi-sdn.png

I feel that it is so late.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied on December 27 but I got an email saying that my file was sent to be reviewed on January 10
icon9.png
csi-sdn.png

I feel that it is so late.

As a transfer student, the number is very low. Its damn near impossible to transfer into USP professional year just like Rutgers. But you never know till you try....good luck!

Adding to what kidkay said, the accepted transfer students average a 3.7 and 88 pcat.

Members don't see this ad :)
>.<

I'm not a transfer student. I'm in high school right now. So I'll be entering the pre-professional phase of the program.

>.<

I'm not a transfer student. I'm in high school right now. So I'll be entering the pre-professional phase of the program.

Don't quote me on a figure, but I want to say I've heard it's around 300ish. The only problem is that they inevitably fail a ton of kids out throughout the years...including the 5th year. I've had several friends go through the program, and know 2 people personally who fell victim to the weed out process of 0-6 schools (one at USP and one at St. John's which does the same thing)

That's the truth.

And I'm on a mission to prevent new students from using "USciences". Use either PCP or USP. USciences just sounds dumb.

But USP isn't the schools' name anymore. They state on the website they have changed the name to University of the sciences, USciences. Just because you think it sounds dumb..

USciences refers to the entire school. PCP refers to the pharmacy school directly.

I emailed Usciences two days ago and this is what they said

"Your file just went in for review yesterday and the review process can take anywhere from 4-6 weeks! To answer your questions, we receive approximately 2000 applications to the PharmD program, and about 50-60% of applicants are accepted. "

like wtf? 2000? Good for me I suppose.

But USP isn't the schools' name anymore. They state on the website they have changed the name to University of the sciences, USciences. Just because you think it sounds dumb..

USciences refers to the entire school. PCP refers to the pharmacy school directly.

No. We are still officially registered as USP. They dropped the "in Philadelphia" as a marketing campaign so the school is better recognized. As stated before, I think it's dumb. CObviously it'll look good to the admissions people if you refer it as USciences on your essay, but I maintain that now established pharmacists really won't recognize where we're from. I heard that before they thought "what, there's another school in Philadelphia?" I guess now they'll think "oh, another new school, no idea about it." I refuse to drop "in Philadelphia" on my resume, for name recognition reasons. I will probably put both USP and PCP on my CV when applying for residencies/jobs.

The name change just reflects that the school doesn't care about their students' job placement. They just want less people to be confused about the schools name, so more people apply there, as USP is losing 4 million dollars by not having enough applicants.

BTW, 50% of 2000 is 1000. They will choose a bit over 300 (for arument's sake, let's say 340). That means that only 34% of the people accepted come here. Think about that statistic.

I'm done rambling now. My opinions don't matter to most of the world. Call it what you want. No need to reply to my argument.

No. We are still officially registered as USP. They dropped the "in Philadelphia" as a marketing campaign so the school is better recognized. As stated before, I think it's dumb. CObviously it'll look good to the admissions people if you refer it as USciences on your essay, but I maintain that now established pharmacists really won't recognize where we're from. I heard that before they thought "what, there's another school in Philadelphia?" I guess now they'll think "oh, another new school, no idea about it." I refuse to drop "in Philadelphia" on my resume, for name recognition reasons. I will probably put both USP and PCP on my CV when applying for residencies/jobs.

The name change just reflects that the school doesn't care about their students' job placement. They just want less people to be confused about the schools name, so more people apply there, as USP is losing 4 million dollars by not having enough applicants.

BTW, 50% of 2000 is 1000. They will choose a bit over 300 (for arument's sake, let's say 340). That means that only 34% of the people accepted come here. Think about that statistic.

I'm done rambling now. My opinions don't matter to most of the world. Call it what you want. No need to reply to my argument.

I see your point. Thank you for telling me what you thought about the name change. That's how people learn. I agree with you.

They said they accept 50%-60% of 2000 applicants. I doubt all of those who are accepted attend PCP. So what do you mean, 340? Do you mean only 340 decide to attend PCP?

That's the truth.

And I'm on a mission to prevent new students from using "USciences". Use either PCP or USP. USciences just sounds dumb.
Hey bacillus1,

I've noticed that you have a lot of negative opinions of your experience here at USciences. If you don't mind me asking, what exactly makes you so regretful of your decision to attend the University? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...I was just wondering. I attend USciences and I really am enjoying my time at the school.

Hey bacillus1,

I've noticed that you have a lot of negative opinions of your experience here at USciences. If you don't mind me asking, what exactly makes you so regretful of your decision to attend the University? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...I was just wondering. I attend USciences and I really am enjoying my time at the school.

First of all, it is very suspicious that all your posts, before referring to my post about you, are the same post promoting USP. Why would you start an account just to promote a school, if you weren't a "paid blogger"? It's no secret that the school employs them.

I just don't like the lack of actual teaching that goes on in this place. Take P&T lecture Monday. The professor gave us a lecture handout. It was about 80% blank. We were supposed to fill in the blanks. He did not cover them, including info on a lot of the drugs. I thought we were supposed to study drugs in pharmacy school, no? I guess I won't be able to treat hepatic or pancreatic disease because of incompetent professors.
Also take lab next week. We were supposed to counsel on transdermal administration of Catapres and Duragesic. Did we learn about patch administration ever? Nope. This repeats over and over again, while we have major gaps in our knowledge of pharmacotherapy.

Also how about the 6th year tuition? I'd like someone to PLEASE tell me where the tuition increase goes to (6th year tuition, without merit grant, is about 46k). I have gotten the generic response of "it's 10 more credits", but so what? Just because a year is 10 more credits, does not mean they automatically have to spend 13 more thousand dollars per student.

What else? How about minimal consideration about not having a car for IPPE practice sites? I had more here on this topic, but then decided to delete it because of fear of self-identification. If you saw it, that's fine. Besides, it's not as important as the other 2 points, and I was basically saying that my IPPE site is/was way too far away for not having a car.

Of course there are good things about the school, for example its chapters of various professional organizations, but if I could do it over again, I would go to another school (I have a preference that would be 0-6, cheaper and with more consideration for the students' learning).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i wouldnt go there if i were you. not a good pharmacy school. they treat their students like total garbage

when i was searching for 0-6 school i saw that at USP about 300 students matriculate into 1st yr. but during 6th yr people taking naplex is about 1/2 of that.
do you see any problems with that?

when i was searching for 0-6 school i saw that at USP about 300 students matriculate into 1st yr. but during 6th yr people taking naplex is about 1/2 of that.
do you see any problems with that?

300 matriculate into 1st yr. It's not really 1/2 that take the NAPLEX, more like 2/3, maybe a little bit more. A bunch of people drop out after 2nd year because they think pharmacy isn't for them, and a good amt. of people do fail out during 2nd year because they can't keep the required GPA (for those people, they shouldn't have been accepted in the first place). Since they upped GPA requirements, I could see that maybe more people fail out after 2nd year, but I'm not sure about that. In the beginning of P1 the class size is about 235-240, and by graduation you have about 215-220.

We have a high attrition rate because the school takes a lot of people who cannot handle the curriculum, by taking their money in earlier years and weeding them out. The school should really decrease their class size, but unfortunately they have no motivation to do so.

This is why I hate a lot of 0-6 schools. The first 2 years is just pre pharmacy so it's easy for the school to just add more students to a lecture and take their money until they fail out. Easy cash and then the student is screwed with debt, low gpa, what a nightmare.

Can't speak for any other school, but I'm probably not totally off-base to assert that parents of students here saw a non-selective 0-6 program as a way to ensure (not so much these days) that their muddle-headed spawn gets to earn six figures in retail provided they actually graduate.

Can't speak for any other school, but I'm probably not totally off-base to assert that parents of students here saw a non-selective 0-6 program as a way to ensure (not so much these days) that their muddle-headed spawn gets to earn six figures in retail provided they actually graduate.

haha yup, and the school could care less if they graduate :laugh:

You have no idea how right you are...

There is just one flaw in these parents line of thought: Retail isn't forced to hire these folks anymore.

You have no idea how right you are...

There is just one flaw in these parents line of thought: Retail isn't forced to hire these folks anymore.

I really hope the employers who come on these boards don't think badly of this school's students. Our curriculum is very challenging, and people who do get through it are very well equipped to be pharmacists (well at least clinical pharmacists). We actually have a quite large alumni network, and people here do get jobs and prestigious residencies/fellowships. The school may have shady business practices, but the students have nothing to do with this.

I was referring to MCP specifically and I don't know anything about the other 0-6 schools to make first-hand comments on their environment, students, etc.

I can see where my taking every opportunity to take a dig at MCPHS can get tiresome. It's not like students at MCP can't get a good education (at least in the PharmD program), get jobs or residencies or fellowships (though the "yield" rate will obviously be pretty low), but this school in general doesn't do all that much to help "students" out (example: they do not really care if you don't have a car and your rotation sites are not easily accessible by public transit; you are just one of the ~250 of whoever actually makes it to the clerkship year so tough ****). MCPHS doesn't even have a "career center" currently for its students, which should be considered a basic service offered by any podunk college or university.

And even if they did, not a few of these students would be undeserving of the help. For example, I think it's a total joke that seemingly 10% of the class get to claim a learning disability for the purpose of getting extra time on a med chem exam.

Why all the negativity against MCPHS? I'm not advocate for them. But, out of all the posts I've seen thus far...well, let's just say there are more cons vs pros for the school. And, most of those posts are dated...:confused:

I was referring to MCP specifically and I don't know anything about the other 0-6 schools to make first-hand comments on their environment, students, etc.

I can see where my taking every opportunity to take a dig at MCPHS can get tiresome. It's not like students at MCP can't get a good education (at least in the PharmD program), get jobs or residencies or fellowships (though the "yield" rate will obviously be pretty low), but this school in general doesn't do all that much to help "students" out (example: they do not really care if you don't have a car and your rotation sites are not easily accessible by public transit; you are just one of the ~250 of whoever actually makes it to the clerkship year so tough ****). MCPHS doesn't even have a "career center" currently for its students, which should be considered a basic service offered by any podunk college or university.

And even if they did, not a few of these students would be undeserving of the help. For example, I think it's a total joke that seemingly 10% of the class get to claim a learning disability for the purpose of getting extra time on a med chem exam.

Those big 0-6 schools are just in it for the money. ACP just opened another satellite campus in VT and they were actually put on probation in 2008 for their high attrition rate. I think if a school consistently lose over 10% of the incoming class they need to change their admission standards.

I really hope the employers who come on these boards don't think badly of this school's students. Our curriculum is very challenging, and people who do get through it are very well equipped to be pharmacists (well at least clinical pharmacists).

The good students / students who show promise of being good pharmacists from PCPS/USP/USci/name of the week will get hired, just the same as the good students from UCSF and D'Youville are going to land jobs. The rep of the school only means so much.

It's the bad students- those who skirt by, don't work in pharmacies until they hit their APPEs, can't communicate with anyone...those are the ones who employers will shy away from. With 15,000 graduates/year soon, nobody is guaranteed a job anymore (not that they ever were, but with the demand so high, employers looked for a license and little more), and the graduates with the poorest skill sets are going to struggle to find work- regardless of where they went to school.

We actually have a quite large alumni network

That is only helpful if the alumni are happy with the quality of the product that the school is producing. This is not always the case.

Why all the negativity against MCPHS? I'm not advocate for them. But, out of all the posts I've seen thus far...well, let's just say there are more cons vs pros for the school. And, most of those posts are dated...:confused:

The fundamental issue is that the admission and "retention" practices of some 0-6 programs are obviously going to be secondary to the goal of maximizing $$$$. (I could anticipate a silly retort like, "if MCPHS didn't have so many students your tuition would be higher," as though they were doing me a favor and not handing out tuition deductions, euphemistically called "scholarships," to unqualified (or unproven at best) high school students to try to hook naive HS kids.)

That said, if you are self-motivated and not an idiot, you can do whatever you want to do coming out of MCPHS (like maybe the top 100-125 students in a class, not in terms of grades but in terms of actual preparation for a career), but you can do so anywhere else and likely have an easier time of it, and if not you resign yourself to being grist for the retail mill.

In the meantime, it behooves any high school student thinking about doing a 0-6 program to be as informed as possible about making a critical life decision (I do not claim to be balanced in my doling out of my 2 Zimbabwean dollars, as positive aspects of MCPHS in Boston are not really what set it apart from other programs, except maybe being a lot more flexible about doing rotations OOS or if you want to act like you're still in high school for 4-5 more years), and try not to act like a bunch of self-absorbed entitled asshats while you're at it. Justifying choosing a 0-6 program based on a desire to skate by with the minimum GPA and avoiding taking the PCAT, not validating your interest in pharmacy by seeking out work experience, etc., that's pathetic, afraid-to-compete loser-talk totally out of touch with the realities of the job market today.

And by uninformed, self-absorbed and entitled you can see that looking at the comments on this Facebook event page concerning MCPHS: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=138449296219023 (requires log-in).

Last edited:
The fundamental issue is that the admission and "retention" practices of some 0-6 programs are obviously going to be secondary to the goal of maximizing $$$$. (I could anticipate a silly retort like, "if MCPHS didn't have so many students your tuition would be higher," as though they were doing me a favor and not handing out tuition deductions, euphemistically called "scholarships," to unqualified (or unproven at best) high school students to try to hook naive HS kids.)

That said, if you are self-motivated and not an idiot, you can do whatever you want to do coming out of MCPHS (like maybe the top 100-125 students in a class, not in terms of grades but in terms of actual preparation for a career), but you can do so anywhere else and likely have an easier time of it, and if not you resign yourself to being grist for the retail mill.

In the meantime, it behooves any high school student thinking about doing a 0-6 program to be as informed as possible about making a critical life decision (I do not claim to be balanced in my doling out of my 2 Zimbabwean dollars, as positive aspects of MCPHS in Boston are not really what set it apart from other programs, except maybe being a lot more flexible about doing rotations OOS or if you want to act like you're still in high school for 4-5 more years), and try not to act like a bunch of self-absorbed entitled asshats while you're at it. Justifying choosing a 0-6 program based on a desire to skate by with the minimum GPA and avoiding taking the PCAT, not validating your interest in pharmacy by seeking out work experience, etc., that's pathetic, afraid-to-compete loser-talk totally out of touch with the realities of the job market today.

And by uninformed, self-absorbed and entitled you can see that looking at the comments on this Facebook event page concerning MCPHS: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=138449296219023 (requires log-in).
tumblr_lfqh5ixxqi1qe0eclo1_r5_500.gif

:eek:...tks for info

:nod:

That MCPHS page is nothing but students unhapy with getting F'ed by their school. I live in the northeast so know people at that school and ACP and I hear the same things in those comments all the time. One of the things that most impresses me about interviewing at one of the schools I might be attending is they made a point to say they work very hard to keep attrition down and want EVERYONE to get through the program. Not "we're going to charge you an arm and a leg for tuition that let you loose and if your gpa falls below 2.7, just get out!".

not validating your interest in pharmacy by seeking out work experience,
etc., that's pathetic, afraid-to-compete loser-talk totally out of touch with the realities of the job market today.

My interest lies in working in industry.

That MCPHS page is nothing but students unhapy with getting F'ed by their school. I live in the northeast so know people at that school and ACP and I hear the same things in those comments all the time. One of the things that most impresses me about interviewing at one of the schools I might be attending is they made a point to say they work very hard to keep attrition down and want EVERYONE to get through the program. Not "we're going to charge you an arm and a leg for tuition that let you loose and if your gpa falls below 2.7, just get out!".
Which MCPHS page?

Anyone who came to MCP as a freshman not in the PharmD program or maybe nursing made a questionable decision at best. As for easy-mode admissions for 0-6 PharmD programs, people should act like they actually want to be in the PharmD program and not flirt with the minimum GPA standard and then complain when they don't read the student handbook. I suppose when mommy and daddy foot the bill for your tuition moral hazard comes into play.

There is a kernel of truth in most of the comments, so yes they are legitimate (even if the one contrasting MCPHS to the Harvard medical campus is hilarious). Printing management, especially, is a huge problem, but it's partly a function of the large number of students. Announcement of school closures was not handled well either. (Making announcements at 5 AM is definitely not timely to many faculty and students who have to start commuting around that time especially given MBTA delays and cancellations.)