How many practices tests should I take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrFLAGATORS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many practices tests should I take to be most comfortable with the test/most prepared?

I took the MCAT before and did AAMC 3, 4, 5, 10. This go around I planed on taking BR 1-5 and AAMC 6, 7, 8, 9, which gives me a total of 9. Should I plan to do more?

Members don't see this ad.

Hard to say. You want to keep taking FLs until you're consistently scoring in your desired score range. If you're hitting the mark after five tests, then five is enough. If it takes you until FL #15 to get to your desired mark, then 15 is the answer. To be safe, plan to do about 10. Since you've already got nine, you can probably find another test somewhere.

i would throw in the kaplan FLs in there if you have time. save the aamc's for the end though.

Here's what I did:

First 3 were Kaplan FL
That was the warm up. Got a few 29s uh oh. Wake up call.

Start here at Day 1
Day 1 : AAMC 3
Day 2: Kaplan FL
Day 5: AAMC4
Day 7: Kaplan FL
Day 14: AAMC5
Day 15: AAMC6
Day 24: AAMC7
Day 25: AAMC8
Day 30: AAMC9
Day 32: AAMC10

I started taking FL seriously ~30 ish days before my actual exam. Though I didn't write it here, make sure you REVIEW YOUR ANSWERS after each exam.
It will save you from making the same mistake twice.

Bottom line: Take every AAMC you can get your hands on (and can afford).
Plus, do some Kaplan FL b/c they are good at scaring you on the PS to make you work more at it.

Good luck!