how many pre-meds are/are not currently employed in healthcare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am a pre-med and I currently work....

• at a job that has NOTHING to do with medicine.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • at a job where I have direct patient contact (such as CNA, med tech, EMT, x-ray tech, etc).

Votes: 49 36.6%
  • at a healthcare related job. but in a lab or as a clerical worker.

Votes: 25 18.7%
  • at a healthcare job such as RN, PharmD, etc.

Votes: 6 4.5%

• Total voters

TimmyTheWonderD

Takin' it 1 day @ a time!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just curious!

i currently have a job with direct patient contact and i was wondering how many others did too, and how many were in research, or how many had jobs completely unrelated to medicine....AND....is any of this (meaning your employment and employment history) ever brought up during interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

I work for a dog catcher/handyman. In my job I am required to euthanize dogs that are not purchased after about a week of capture.

I am part time gypsy catcher

Members don't see this ad :)
MercyKillerDoc said:
I work for a dog catcher/handyman. In my job I am required to euthanize dogs that are not purchased after about a week of capture.

are you serious or are you just being "funny"

i worked as a vet tech for 8 years before my current job and i had to cremate the dead doggies and kitties....what i learned - if you burn a fat animal without freezing it first you can fill 8 city blocks with thick, black smoke.

Uhh, I'm a med tech, don't work directly with patients and I work in the lab. Poll is wrong. Most Medical Technologist work only in the lab. Like anyone cares...sorry. :(

jbone said:
Most Medical Technologist work only in the lab. (

med techs also work in doctor's offices, taking vitals and H&P's. :)

i work in a lab....at a school of med....at a school of med i can only dream of ever going to...or even applying....

endocrinology to be exact....i have a strange feeling that someone else here on sdn used to work in my lab, and may have in fact trained me...hmmmm :laugh:

Martial arts instructor and valet @ a country club, hahaha. I love my jobs.

I work in the office of admissions at my current university. I give tours to prospective tours and I work at the front desk. Wish I worked in a health related job but this works perfect being on campus and working around my classes.

TimmyTheWonderD said:
are you serious or are you just being "funny"

i worked as a vet tech for 8 years before my current job and i had to cremate the dead doggies and kitties....what i learned - if you burn a fat animal without freezing it first you can fill 8 city blocks with thick, black smoke.
You should see what a really fat guy will produce when cremated. ;)

TimmyTheWonderD said:
med techs also work in doctor's offices, taking vitals and H&P's. :)
There is a BIG difference between a medical technologist and a medical technician. I recommend you check the definitions. :thumbup: Just a future MT (ASCP) trying to clarify things. :D

Anthropology Prof at a university in Colorado.

gdbaby said:
Anthropology Prof at a university in Colorado.
No kidding? :thumbup: I've got a major interest in forensic anthro.

Members don't see this ad :)
Praetorian said:
No kidding? :thumbup: I've got a major interest in forensic anthro.
For once, no kidding. Medical Anthropology, research on eating disorders in Milan, Italy. It was rough, but someone had to go there. All my costudents were getting malaria in Africa while I was getting capuccinos outside of the Scala. Now that's anthropology!

Man, I'm majoring in the wrong thing. :(

gdbaby said:
For once, no kidding. Medical Anthropology, research on eating disorders in Milan, Italy. It was rough, but someone had to go there. All my costudents were getting malaria in Africa while I was getting capuccinos outside of the Scala. Now that's anthropology!

You are one smart lady. :thumbup:

Praetorian said:
There is a BIG difference between a medical technologist and a medical technician. I recommend you check the definitions. :thumbup: Just a future MT (ASCP) trying to clarify things. :D

i said med tech, as in MT, i did not say MLT, as in medical laboratory tech

Medical Technologist (MT)- 4 year version of a MLT
Medical Lab Technician (MLT)- 2 year version of a MT

I suggest you heed the advice to double check your information before posting attempting to correct others. :thumbup: But the issues of similarity of titles is something is addressed in clinical lab science magazines. So the misunderstanding is somewhat understandable.

gdbaby said:

Wow, do a lot of people have eating disorders in Milan? That's really interesting.

In constrast, I copy and paste at my job. But it's in a hospital. :rolleyes:

BooMed said:
Wow, do a lot of people have eating disorders in Milan? That's really interesting.
More per capita than in the US. At least back when I did my research.

gdbaby said:
More per capita than in the US. At least back when I did my research.

Hmm, do you know why? I always think of Italians as being so healthy. Maybe the fashion industry? :confused:

BooMed said:
Hmm, do you know why? I always think of Italians as being so healthy. Maybe the fashion industry? :confused:
that's where I went with it. they incorporate many body metaphors into their language "La bella figura," for example is used to describe anything beautiful. You are just innundated with thoughts about new, ideal female bodies in Milan.

Hmmm.. I'm not sure where I fall. I work at a contract research organization. We do pre-clinical phase toxicology testing. I help run the studies, but I'm not a lab tech. So it's distantly related to medicine because the majority of the compounds are trying to make it to clinical trials to become the next wonderdrug, but not really in a patient context.

gdbaby said:
that's where I went with it. they incorporate many body metaphors into their language "La bella figura," for example is used to describe anything beautiful. You are just innundated with thoughts about new, ideal female bodies in Milan.

I wonder if French people have a high rate of eating disorders. Appearance seems very important there... but so is eating good food.

Were most of the eating disorders in Milan anorexia?

Research coordinator

I assist my boss in surgery. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I work in Aeronautics ... but i am trying to get this scribe job, where i get to follow a dr around and write down his notes...

that would be pretty cool.. i guess... :p

TimmyTheWonderD said:
just curious!

i currently have a job with direct patient contact and i was wondering how many others did too, and how many were in research, or how many had jobs completely unrelated to medicine....AND....is any of this (meaning your employment and employment history) ever brought up during interviews.

I am a heart and lung transplant harvest perfusionist and preservationist and fly out with the surgeons to anywhere in the country for organs. Waiting for the Hawaii trip but travel pretty frequently.

Currently working in software marketing department of large analytical instrumentation company - I was worried about it going into interviews as I was under the impression that every other pre-med was already heavily involved clinically through their jobs. However, I got pretty positive feedback and played up the technical skills I acquired while an engineer here, and then the communication skills needed in my present position.

All the talk about eating disorders has made me hungry - I'm going for lunch.

gdbaby - what issues on cultural relativism and interfering vs. researching do you come across as a medical anthropologist. Sounds a REALLY interesting job!

I run a women's health clinic. admin 40% and patient contact 60%

I'm a doctor....plant doctor, that is. I'm an EMT and a landscaper, soon to be snowplower.

I currently work at a not-for-profit MCO.

Internal medicine scribe with direct patient contact

daviddamoore said:
All the talk about eating disorders has made me hungry - I'm going for lunch.

gdbaby - what issues on cultural relativism and interfering vs. researching do you come across as a medical anthropologist. Sounds a REALLY interesting job!
Well, all of the women I hung out with were in treatment for eating disorders so I didn't feel like I needed to be an activist or interfere since they were already getting help. I did have a lot of problems when I would be hanging out with fashion models and would see them shooting heroin between their toes. I didn't do anything about it, but certainly discussed it in many papers. I have been able to live with that decision by getting involved in many applied anthropology projects like needle exchange programs in South Beach, Miami and women's health initiatives in Dallas, Texas.

Paramedic in Multnomah County.

I'm also an EMT so pretty much all I have is direct patient contact.

CNA at the hospital...professional a$$ wiper if you ask me. I'm in the process of transitioning to ED Tech...less of what I hate doing, more of what I actually want to do! yay!

It is so flippin humbling.

I am a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN). Worked literally at everyhour of the day with various MDs. Direct pt. contact. One of the MDs who always takes my suggestions into great consideration actually wrote a killer recommendation for me.

I do accounting and human resources and purchasing for a company that manufactures jock straps, mouth guards, whistles, etc.
Anyone need a jock?

alright let's see...

1) research assistant in arthroscopy and sports med research
2) clinical assistant (get to do h&ps and direct patient contact) for same doc as 1)
3) research coordinator in computer navigation of total knee replacements (direct pt contact before and after surgery, surgical experience)
4) volunteer research assistant in hip arthroplasty research
5) manual labor on the side

now, if only med schools would see this.

I'm a physician assistant in a gastroenterology practice

I'm a bubble