How Many Pre-Meds are Involved With Emergency Services?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KD1655

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading over some of the Pre-med threads about EMT school and it seems to me that alot of pre-meds take EMT class to purely put on an med school application. My question is, how many of you pre-meds have really become involved with busy EMS systems or fire departments and how do you think that it benefited you in the long run? I guess my question is more that has your involvement in emergency services spurred your decision to persue medical school or has your interests in medical school influenced your decision to get involved with EMS? Also, how many firefighters do we have out there? (just curious)

Just a bit about my background: I am a certified EMT (for about 4 years now) and firefighter (about a year). I work about 30 hours a week on the truck (paid) for a municipal police dept. while going to college full time. I also volunteer for a statewide disaster medical team that has EMTs, paramedics, RNs, MDs among its ranks. I am also a volunteer firefighter with a suburban department. I volunteer for hometown volunteer BLS agency. I will be attending paramedic school next year while finishing my BS in biomedical engineering and starting my MS in the same. In my case, my involvement with EMS and the fire dept influenced my decision to persue medicine as a career and not vice versa.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been reading over some of the Pre-med threads about EMT school and it seems to me that alot of pre-meds take EMT class to purely put on an med school application. My question is, how many of you pre-meds have really become involved with busy EMS systems or fire departments and how do you think that it benefited you in the long run? I guess my question is more that has your involvement in emergency services spurred your decision to persue medical school or has your interests in medical school influenced your decision to get involved with EMS? Also, how many firefighters do we have out there? (just curious)

Just a bit about my background: I am a certified EMT (for about 4 years now) and firefighter (about a year). I work about 30 hours a week on the truck (paid) for a municipal police dept. while going to college full time. I also volunteer for a statewide disaster medical team that has EMTs, paramedics, RNs, MDs among its ranks. I am also a volunteer firefighter with a suburban department. I volunteer for hometown volunteer BLS agency. I will be attending paramedic school next year while finishing my BS in biomedical engineering and starting my MS in the same. In my case, my involvement with EMS and the fire dept influenced my decision to persue medicine as a career and not vice versa.
I would say my interest in medical school spurred my interest in EMT, but my experiences as an EMT have solidified my desire for medical school.

I would say my interest in medical school spurred my interest in EMT, but my experiences as an EMT have solidified my desire for medical school.

I'll drink to that :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I started working as an EMT after I got into med school, just to see what the fuss was all about.

My experience as an EMT tells me that I do not want to be a paramedic, or really even an ER doctor.

Most of the calls are bullshat calls, most of the patients will never pay and aren't even actually sick, the many drug seekers don't play in my favor either.

Fxck them, I'm going to radiology.