How many pre-pharmers play/ed instruments?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you (did you ever) play a musical instrument?

• I was a total band geek and loved every minute!

Votes: 41 56.9%
  • Meh - only cuz my parents made me do it

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • I tried it out but didn't like it

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I tried it out and sucked

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • I would love to learn to play something one day

Votes: 4 5.6%

• Total voters

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We got onto the topic of musical instruments in an off-topic thread and I was wondering how many of you pre-pharmers out there play or played musical instruments? I once read something about a correlation between academic performance and playing an instrument. Not sure if this is true, though...

I just realized I left out the orchestra...orchestra nerds can pick option 1, too. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I played flute from 4th grade to my sophomore year of college. I played alto sax in my freshman/sophomore years of college. I was also in color guard from my senior year of high school to my sophomore year of college.

At that point the course load began to get heavier and the bad people began to form more cliques. So I quit.

I played flute from 4th grade to my sophomore year of college. I played alto sax in my freshman/sophomore years of college. I was also in color guard from my senior year of high school to my sophomore year of college.

At that point the course load began to get heavier and the bad people began to form more cliques. So I quit.

I played flute starting in 3rd grade. I learned piano at 6. lol I miss my band days

Members don't see this ad :)
Started playing flute in 5th grade and still play from time to time (I'm a senior in college).

Yay flutes! :)

I miss marching band. Our band wasn't very good but it was fun. I wish I could have been in the actual band (I was in color guard whenever I was in field marching band and played flute in concert band). When I see some of the marching bands on espn (what they show of them at least...) I really miss it.
This is just awesome. The good part starts at around 2:50 if you want to skip the first few minutes
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePQSv6aDFh8[/YOUTUBE]

We got onto the topic of musical instruments in an off-topic thread and I was wondering how many of you pre-pharmers out there play or played musical instruments? I once read something about a correlation between academic performance and playing an instrument. Not sure if this is true, though...

I just realized I left out the orchestra...orchestra nerds can pick option 1, too. :)

And you called me a DORK :laugh:

My closest friend from high school was also a band nerd. She's really cute for a nerd :D

flute and bassoon (sp?) but hoping to learn the piano someday!

I miss marching band. Our band wasn't very good but it was fun. I wish I could have been in the actual band (I was in color guard whenever I was in field marching band and played flute in concert band). When I see some of the marching bands on espn (what they show of them at least...) I really miss it.
This is just awesome. The good part starts at around 2:50 if you want to skip the first few minutes

That is BAD ASS!!!

And you called me a DORK :laugh:

My closest friend from high school was also a band nerd. She's really cute for a nerd :D

Hey, I was a total nerd growing up and I have no regrets :D

I was a piano performance major in college.

That is BAD ASS!!!
It definitely is. Unfortunately the University of Tennessee marching band is one of the few actual drill marching bands left. Most other marching bands (including the one I was in) tend to do curvy lines or abstract shapes. Mostly because it's easier to do an abstract curvy shape than a block or a shape such as a circle. If everyone is kind of off in an egg shape, that's not too bad but if everyone is off in a circle you're f*cked.I like how the Tennessee doesn't just move/march, they make precise shapes and precise movement.

Last edited:
Where's the No I haven't played an instrument or I'll stick to guitar hero answer? I think I'm pretty smart academically, and I've never wanted to play a real instrument before. The closest I've ever gotten is Guitar Hero and Rock Band. Video games FTW!

funny thing, 2's seem to be my number.
played piano for 2 yrs
flute for another 2
violin for 2 also.

(all at diff times), i gave up instrument playing in high school to pursue my sporty side ;)

Played alto sax for 5 years, 5th through 9th. Only marched one year, but was a band assistant in the 7th grade (meaning I helped get set up for traveling, would run out of the field to place/remove flags, etc.) It was a wonderful good time. I loved going to the football games, eating junky food from the concession stands, etc. The best part though were the marching competitions - we were almost always the smallest band competing, so we were usually the first band to perform, around 10 in the morning - so we went back, got changed, and had the rest of the day to goof off in the stands, heckling the other bands, (again) eating nasty concession stand food, playing on the school's playgrounds, etc.

I miss those days.

Members don't see this ad :)
I play a mean air guitar and I'm also pretty good on the thigh drums as well.

I used to take guitar lessons. I went through two different teachers; one was some Australian weirdo, the other was some hippie Jazz fiend who made me play horrible music that I HATED! Plus, it was crazy expensive, so I just stopped going. I still mess around with my guitar, and find it much easier to just teach myself.

I also self-taught random licks and songs on the piano.

i was forced to play piano at 6 years old by my parents for about 10 years. i hated it then, but i like playing for fun now (ie music i want to play). i played oboe starting from 5th-10th grade and also a year in the LSU symphonic band and alto sax from 7-10th grade in marching band. I took private lessons as classes at LSU for credit for alto sax and double bass. that's about the extent of my formal/academic training.
during college, i taught myself guitar and electric bass. i still play sax, bass, guitar, keyboard, and a little banjo in my own local band.

i believe there is a positive correlation between learning music and some forms of mental capacity. i did some research on it a long time ago for a speech class, and i think it specifically affects memory and temperospatial skills if i remember correctly (pun intended).

I love music as much as I love the sciences. (And I really love the sciences).

I've played piano for nearly 14 years now, taught myself guitar about five years ago, and recently started teaching myself the violin!
I write a lot of music too. You get the strangest, yet really pleasant, feeling in your brain when you go from several hours of studying from a textbook to having an awesome jam session and singing at the top of your lungs. : D

Piano for 4 years. Marched alto sax in the 7th grade. Played flute 8-12 grade in concert band (I was a majorette during the football season). I was also a majorette in college (feature twirler my first year). But, I didn't consider myself a nerd. I was one of the cool band members!!!:p

i was forced to play piano at 6 years old by my parents for about 10 years. i hated it then, but i like playing for fun now (ie music i want to play). i played oboe starting from 5th-10th grade and also a year in the LSU symphonic band and alto sax from 7-10th grade in marching band. I took private lessons as classes at LSU for credit for alto sax and double bass. that's about the extent of my formal/academic training.
during college, i taught myself guitar and electric bass. i still play sax, bass, guitar, keyboard, and a little banjo in my own local band.

i believe there is a positive correlation between learning music and some forms of mental capacity. i did some research on it a long time ago for a speech class, and i think it specifically affects memory and temperospatial skills if i remember correctly (pun intended).

Same here... my mom lied to me and told me I was going to skating class and took me to piano lessons when I was 5. I was forced to go until I started high school, but luckily it conflicted with sports so I got to quit. lol

I really hated it because I had this really old instructor from Tel Aviv who would only allow us to play classical music. All my friends were playing Pocahontas, Boys to Men, Lion King, etc... and I had to play, well you know... Chopin, Mozart, etc.

I didn't mind the classical, but it was crappy that we couldn't play anything else. Plus we had a TON of daily exercises we had to do like learning scales, etc. Our parents were also required to attend lessons with us so they could monitor us at home and force us to practice. The instructor was also physic or something because he was the only teacher I ever had (I actually tried out a few others too) who KNEW if you didn't practice. I literally never practiced though, and he always would start off by telling me "Oh I see you haven't practiced since last week".

I still play sometimes when I am really bored at my parent's house, but I can pretty much only play Fur Elise and Colors of the Wind now. I never took formal training in college, but it did help me get an A in Theater because anyone who did some kind of performing art in front of the class immediately got a HUGE extra credit percentage.

I play reggaeton on the classroom desks

[YOUTUBE]18gDUzL2mLQ[/YOUTUBE]

I played the Oboe for about 4 years. once I entered high school I decided it wasn't for me.

The options "Used to play and liked it" or "Tried it out, liked it, stopped" are not there. Taught myself how to play keyboard/piano early, stopped in middle school. Not because I didn't want to, just didn't need to do it anymore.

Also played clarinet in middle school band.

I assume everyone played/had to play the recorder in elementary school.

Want to learn to play the guitar. After acoustic, I'm moving onto electric bass. Plan to do it after graduation this May. Pharm school/grad school/job - I'll try to make time to play.

Guitar Hero/Rock Band is for posers. Tried it out, hated it. Wasn't the real deal. Did teach you where to hold the guitar, but then it's not a big deal. And, plus, people look stupid playing with a plastic guitar or drum set.

I started playing percussion in the 7th grade. Kept up with it all through high school, where I played in the drumline, and still dabble a little on my drum set.

Want to learn to play the guitar. After acoustic, I'm moving onto electric bass. Plan to do it after graduation this May. Pharm school/grad school/job - I'll try to make time to play.

Guitar Hero/Rock Band is for posers. Tried it out, hated it. Wasn't the real deal. Did teach you where to hold the guitar, but then it's not a big deal. And, plus, people look stupid playing with a plastic guitar or drum set.

hit me up if you end up at UT, Shadow. i'm not the best guitar player, but i can hold my own on the bass. i'm sure i can teach a beginner a few things on either if you'd like. i used to hate guitar hero when i first played it also. i think most actual musicians do because it's counterintuitive from playing real music. just have to learn to watch instead of rely on your ears and "feeling it." i think it's fun in its own right now - definitely good for small get togethers.

Last edited:
Oof, don't even ask me about music! I would be playing music if it was a viable (money-making) career. Outside of a record contract, I couldn't support a family (don't want to be a teacher or anything.) I play guitar, bass, piano, and I just got a mandolin for Christmas so I can John Paul Jones. Music, to me, is the most amazing thing. Never played in a band in high school (unless you count with my friends, but even then it wasn't until just after high school really.) Played a lot for my church over the years, used to do some acoustic guitar/piano singing one night a week as well. I miss performing so much, but school/marriage eats up so much time! Oh well, there's always post-graduation opportunity.

Everyone should at least pick up an instrument and try it out. Even if you get your first taste of it through something like rock band. Musicians who say rock band is stupid because it's "fake" are just being pretentious; obviously it's nothing like playing a guitar, but that doesn't mean it can't be fun to play, especially with other friends who don't play an actual instrument. Just gotta appreciate it for what it is.

hit me up if you end up at UT, Shadow. i'm not the best guitar player, but i can hold my own on the bass. i'm sure i can teach a beginner a few things on either if you'd like. i used to hate guitar hero when i first played it also. i think most actual musicians do because it's counterintuitive from playing real music. just have to learn to watch instead of rely on your ears and "feeling it." i think it's fun in its own right now - definitely good for small get togethers.

Definitely - consider being roommates if you're looking for roommates (if I get in.)

GH/RB - I definitely see potential in it for fun. I personally don't think it was the couple times I've played it. You hit it on the head with the counter-intuitiveness of the game - that's exactly how I felt about it; besides, one could spend the time to learn the real deal, provided they have the dough for a beginner instrument.

Heh, well, I guess it's better than regular karaoke.

Started percussion in 5th grade. Did two years of pit and two on snare in HS. It was some of the most memorable times of my life. I tried out for snare at UT but they rejected me (along with some other freshman way more talented than the vets that made it IMO). When I got stressed out before finals, my trusty drum pad and old marching sticks made for a great way to let off some steam though.

If I get into pharmacy school, one of the first things I plan on splurging on as a pharmacist is my own marimba.

think most actual musicians do because it's counterintuitive from playing real music. just have to learn to watch instead of rely on your ears and "feeling it." i think it's fun in its own right now - definitely good for small get togethers.
For me guitar hero was the opposite. I don't play guitar but I had toruble trying to match up with the moving thingy. Once I stopped trying to match things and just went with the music it went much better. I have a decent sense of rhythm so if I relied on that guitar hero become much easier

I played the flute in middle school and I now play the classical guitar. I'm hoping to learn how to play the harp :D

I began teaching myself piano last year, but stopped once I got into grad school. Does singing count? I sing a lot, even though the only place I should sing is in the shower.

I play the drums and piano...and actually own a recording studio. Talk about a major career change huh? LOL!

i played the violin from 4th grade to 8th grade, and then i taught myself how to play the piano in 9th grade. =]

I was in marching band in high school. And the pep band. I played the alto sax. I also played the bass clarinet and bassoon in the orchestra in high school. LOL