How many prelim programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uncgrad

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that prelim medicine programs are easier to get than transitional years. That being said, how many prelim programs do most people apply to (or should I apply to)? Is it harder to get a prelim than categorical spot? Thanks for any info!

Members don't see this ad.

Transitional spots are usually more difficult to match to because a higher percentage of the applicants come from Radiology, optho, derm, anesth, etc..

It really depends on what location you want to apply to. So if you want to apply to Southern California transitional spots, it would be much harder than somewhere in the midwest. I personally found this to be the case. I received a higher percentage of Radiology interviews in SoCal than I did transitional interviews.

If you can only do transitional interviews, make sure you apply broadly--try to apply to the same places that you will apply for radiology--and try to arrange to interview that same day or the next. It will help a lot with plane fares, hotels costs, etc..

Hope this helps.

I am looking to do a prelim medicine year, not a transitional year, and want to stay in and around NYC. I guess I am asking if it is harder to get a prelim spot than a categorical spot in medicine, since I know about how many programs I need to apply to if I were going to do medicine categorical. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are plenty of prelim programs in the NYC area. However, the cush ones are *highly* sought after and get AOA and above average applicants. So while it's not impossible make sure you have 1-2 safe sure bets prelims and interview at about 5-8 top ones in nyc.

Any opinions on which progams to apply to? Like if you were going there what programs would you look at? Thanks for the info!

It all depends on what you want out of your prelim/transitional year.

In no particular order, my list in manhattan would include: St Vincent's Transitional and Prelim med, Beth Israel Prelim med, Cabrini prelim med, Sloan Kettering Transitional Year, Lenox Hill prelim med and possibly St Lukes-Roosevelt prelim med(although I did not apply there). There are other prelim medicine like nyu and columbia, but I did not apply there. The list can be expanded to long island if you are willing to live there. I must add that prelim/transitional year will be painful almost anywhere you go, but keep on smiling cause there'll be better days.