How many prelim/TY interviews will you be attending?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeSee1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Though ophthalmology interviews have been few and far between, I think I went slightly overboard in applying to prelim/TY's, and currently have 13 interviews scheduled, with a good mix of TY's and prelim years. I would like to cancel a few that I know I am less interested in for the program itself (i.e. surg prelim years in cool areas of the country) but do not want to end up scrambling into a prelim surg year in Oakland or something. How many interviews for PGY-1 do you all plan on attending?

Members don't see this ad.

4 but I only wanna do the first year in a few places.

I am sort of in a similar situation. I have many prelim/TY interviews...I will probably cancel a few in areas I don't want to live in for one year.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm planning on going to 7. hopefully that's enough to match.

I am an IMG Ophtho applicant (as my name suggests:p). I am still learning new things about residency applications in the US. Can you do prelim year in surgery for PGY-2 in Ophtho? I know a few people in surgery in the US who can help get me a prelim Surgery invite but i have only applied in IM prelim and TY year.

I had average Ophtho stats and matched at my #3 ophtho and was feeling great about intern year.....but I ended up matching at my #7 TY program, which has actually worked out really well.

Don't forget that at the "cush" TY programs, you're competing against the best from Derm, Rad Onc, Rads and Anesthesia. I'd recommend doing at least 7, and if you feel less confident, up to 10. I shudder to think what would have happened if I had to scramble into some academic pre-lim medicine in the middle of nowhere, or worse...a surg prelim.

Just my two cents.

Geez....i dont know what to do. Just have 1 prelim and 1 TY interview as of now. I have more Ophtho interviews than that! But programs say that they keep the prelim/TY spots reserved for AMGs. So what can the IMGs do? Any IMG out there?