1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

How Many Prelims to Apply To?

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by Harrison486, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Harrison486

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Honestly I'm just confused by this whole process and how to handle it :scared:

I am going to be applying for residency in Anesthesiology and it seems like a lot of programs offer categorical spots in addition to advanced positions. I am hoping to end up at a 4-year program but will be applying to TYs just in-case I end up in a 3-year advanced position.

I just can't figure out how many TYs/prelims to apply to. I have decided that I am only going to apply to TYs/prelims (and thus advanced spots) in NYC, Philly, and Boston and that everywhere else I am applying, I will only apply to the 4-year programs.

Even with that decided, I can't seem to figure out how many TYs/prelims I can get by applying to. I am currently thinking about 4-5 per each of those 3 cities listed above. I just don't know if that is going to be enough if I end up at a 3-year program, but I don't know of any other desirable programs in those areas and don't really want to end up applying to tons of prelim programs for no reason... (thus I guess I'm asking if my 12-15 programs is enough even though its only 4-5 per city)

Here are my stats if it matters:
    Med School: Mid-range East Coast state school
    Class Rank: I think anywhere from top 10% to top 25% (don't really know) - Not AOA
    Clinical Grades: Honored medicine and surgery; High Passed everything else
    Step 1: 250+
    Research: Involved in 2 non-anesthesia projects, but no publications

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PMPMD

PMPMD 4G MD
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I once heard you want 7 prelim interviews to have a "good" chance of matching. Dont remember the source or what constitutes "good".

4. ashkenazi1234

5+ Year Member

I applied to 10 got 3 interviewed 2, and I had relatively badass stats except for yrs 1-2

5. HiddenGentleman

HiddenGentleman ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This is something I am wondering about as well. What happens if you match to an advance program and you don't get a first year spot somewhere? Do you scramble for a first year spot or do you get your first choice categorical spot that you would match to?

6. El Dooderino

Removed

you'd scramble with hopefully your home program or your advanced program helping you out finding a spot. Happens often because people don't interview at enough prelims due to time/money