How many programs is too many?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thewesternsky

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm making up packages to give to the profs who have agreed to provide me with letters. I was planning to apply to ten schools, but putting together the packages... It seems like a lot of work to inflict on these profs, to be honest.

Anyone else trying to deal with this guilt? I'm being as organized as possible (filling in as much of the forms as I can myself-- basically my own demographic information-- and providing them with labeled envelopes), and they have three full weeks to get me the first letters, but I still feel like they're going to hate me for this. Is there anything else I can do to make this easier on them?

Members don't see this ad.

I went through the same thing last year; applied to 13 schools and felt guilty asking my professors to fill out all those different forms. But they're used to it, and I'm sure they expected it when you asked them for their recommendation. It sounds like you're doing a good job making it easy for them.
One thing my professor asked me to do was send her an email with the typed out addresses of where each letter was being sent to, that way she could just copy and paste the addresses to the top of each letter instead of writing them all out. Also, don't forget to put stamps on the envelopes if the professors are sending them right out. Give each letter writer a copy of your CV and personal statement so that they can refer to it while writing your letters. And also give a list of when each application is due, and when you need each letter by. My schools had a number of different deadlines my professors mailed some recommendations earlier than others. Hope that helps.

I had the SAME exact dilemma when I was applying for internship. What I learned is apply to as many places as you feel comfortable in applying to. A few extra minutes of their time (the materials they fill out/letters they write are usually pretty similar so it doesn't take as long as you think) could save a year of your time (e.g., the one school you don't apply to could be the one that would have admitted you). If you don't ask them to fill out 10 forms or write 10 letters, someone else will.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, for me, I have to say the worst feeling is when they went through the trouble of filling out 13 forms for you and sending out 13 letters and then NOT getting into any of the programs.. and then re-requesting them the next year, which is what I am doing now. This year I am applying to 17 programs.. I do feel guilty about all the work, but thankfully I am pretty close to all my letter-writers and they all agreed it was a good idea to do more schools than less this year, since we really all want this to be my year.

Oh and to add a funny story.. I drove out 2 hours from my home to visit one of my professors at her house and personally handed her my essay and CV and stuff. I've thankfully known her for more than 3 years now but I hadn't seen her for a while so I thought it'd be nice to see her personally, rather than emailing/mailing everything. So we were sitting on the porch that day bc it was very nice out, and as while we were talking, her son left the house to go somewhere. An hour later when we got up to go back in the house, her son had accidentally locked the door behind him and there was no other open door to go back in the house. And since she's an older lady, I suggested to her that if she could find an open window, I could climb in. And indeed she found an open window, and I climbed through the window while she gave me a boost. And as i was doing it, I playfully said to her "you better write me the best letter ever now!!"

A couple weeks later I mailed her my packet on a Tuesday, and by Friday, the letters were already back in my mailbox. (I'm sure she would've done that anyway but I like to think that me climbing through her window helped at least a little. :laugh:)

10 is a perfectly reasonable number of letters to ask for. For the most part, they can reuse the same text with changed emphases for every letter; it's not as though they have to write 10 different letters. It really is part of their job, too.

But, I'd be sure you're getting those letters to them yesterday. 10 letters in a month is reasonable, 10 letters in 2 weeks, not so much.

So, I'm making up packages to give to the profs who have agreed to provide me with letters. I was planning to apply to ten schools, but putting together the packages... It seems like a lot of work to inflict on these profs, to be honest.

Anyone else trying to deal with this guilt? I'm being as organized as possible (filling in as much of the forms as I can myself-- basically my own demographic information-- and providing them with labeled envelopes), and they have three full weeks to get me the first letters, but I still feel like they're going to hate me for this. Is there anything else I can do to make this easier on them?

Get over it... :) My profs wrote a total of 42 each! Yes, I applied to 42 programs over 2 years and yes, I did get into a program I love.

Mark

It is my 4th year to reapply!! I am hesitating to bug my previous recommenders--it is also their 4th time to prepare the letters for me!! I plan to apply only 6-7 programs though.:scared:

What you might wanna look into, and this is what I've done with my applications, is a file at your school's career service center. That way the professors only make one copy of the letter and send it in to be kept on file up to 5 years. When you know the schools you wanna apply to you provide career service with the list and they send out the whole file (or the specific letters that you want) It saves you and your references a lot of time.

What you might wanna look into, and this is what I've done with my applications, is a file at your school's career service center. That way the professors only make one copy of the letter and send it in to be kept on file up to 5 years. When you know the schools you wanna apply to you provide career service with the list and they send out the whole file (or the specific letters that you want) It saves you and your references a lot of time.

wow, nice!

What if the letters need to be submitted online thru e-mail?

I am applying to 12 PsyD schools and 7 MSW programs, and I did feel rather guilty about asking my professors. Though, two of the professors I have known for over 2 years, and have become rather close with them, so it wasn't that bad. The third professor I didn't know as well, and he probably wants to kill me when he received all my forms:oops:

As others stated, they write a general statement, and tend to use it for all the programs.

Get over it... :) My profs wrote a total of 42 each! Yes, I applied to 42 programs over 2 years and yes, I did get into a program I love.

Mark

42 PROGRAMS?!?!?!? I envy you. I am applying to 12 Psy.D programs and I'm going nuts :mad:

From now on, when I get stressed about applying, I am so going to think of you lol :thumbup::)

42 PROGRAMS?!?!?!? I envy you. I am applying to 12 Psy.D programs and I'm going nuts :mad:

From now on, when I get stressed about applying, I am so going to think of you lol :thumbup::)

Don't envy me, learn from my mistakes. I did much better my second go, and had I realized what I learned from my first go, I would have applied to only about 10 schools my second year and still had the same results.

I used a spreadsheet to track everything, it was the only way to make sense of all this. In the end I was turning down a lot of interviews, all my "safety schools" were eliminated Jan 15th when Texas A&M accepted me (which was #5 on my initial list.) I stopped interviewing at schools below #10 on my list nearly immediately. Remember, you can only go to one program. 3 safety schools is perhaps 1 too many... 7 is definitely too many!

I had perhaps 10 reach schools, 10 well targeted schools, and 7 "safety schools". Of the 14 interviews I was offered, I would say that nearly all of my safety schools checked in, one or two of my reach schools, and five or six of my well targeted schools called me.

Mark