How many programs to apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hawthorn9797

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I want to thank everyone in this forum for guiding me through med school applications, med school, and now residency applications. This will likely be one of the last posts I make from a medical student perspective but I hope to contribute to the community for many years to come.
I am applying IM this fall. I go to KCUMB and am an average DO applicant.

Board Scores:

step 1: 223
step2: 250

comlex 1: 556
comlex 2: 578

no comlex PE due to scheduling bogus...banking on it getting canceled.

Goal is to stay in the Missouri region. Wondering if any of you outstanding people have any insight into how many programs I should apply to or any other tips.
Thank you so much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

20 should be good, I'd imagine. You want at least 10 interviews. If you go more academic heavy, add a few more, but if you're apllying community heavy that should be plenty

Reactions: 1 user
20 should be good, I'd imagine. You want at least 10 interviews. If you go more academic heavy, add a few more, but if you're apllying community heavy that should be plenty
Thank you so much for the reply. I appreciate it

Members don't see this ad :)
Audition at your #1 dream program.

Otherwise, you're competitive for all the programs in the area, including academic places in desirable cities of the Midwest. Best of luck.

Oh, don't even bother taking that PE unless you're guaranteed of a Pass. This is one of those occasions in which an empty PE score is better than a failed score.

Reactions: 1 users
Audition at your #1 dream program.

Otherwise, you're competitive for all the programs in the area, including academic places in desirable cities of the Midwest. Best of luck.

Oh, don't even bother taking that PE unless you're guaranteed of a Pass. This is one of those occasions in which an empty PE score is better than a failed score.
Thank you so much for the reply, that is very reassuring. Yeah my PE was canceled and now I will certainly not be able to take it before graduation so that is a big concern! Thanks again

Hello all, I want to thank everyone in this forum for guiding me through med school applications, med school, and now residency applications. This will likely be one of the last posts I make from a medical student perspective but I hope to contribute to the community for many years to come.
I am applying IM this fall. I go to KCUMB and am an average DO applicant.

Board Scores:

step 1: 223
step2: 250

comlex 1: 556
comlex 2: 578

no comlex PE due to scheduling bogus...banking on it getting canceled.

Goal is to stay in the Missouri region. Wondering if any of you outstanding people have any insight into how many programs I should apply to or any other tips.
Thank you so much in advance.

At minimum: around 30. Especially if gunning for university programs. If goal is just staying in area then you can apply less (maybe 20ish), but those apps better be going to essentially all safety programs (community programs that have a good amount of DOs, not 1-3 a year).

At minimum: around 30. Especially if gunning for university programs. If goal is just staying in area then you can apply less (maybe 20ish), but those apps better be going to essentially all safety programs (community programs that have a good amount of DOs, not 1-3 a year).
Thank you for the reply! I was thinking more like 50 so I am really relieved to see 30 ish seems to be the consensus.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the reply! I was thinking more like 50 so I am really relieved to see 30 ish seems to be the consensus.

The number of applications is absolutely dependent on type of specialty and type of programs you are applying to. Just apply smartly and be realistic with your application.