how many programs to rank in order to match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gotdoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

How many programs do we have to rank in order to match in IM. I looked at my tentative match list and I only really like my top 5. Eeek! is that really bad?

Help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

How many programs do we have to rank in order to match in IM. I looked at my tentative match list and I only really like my top 5. Eeek! is that really bad?

Help.

Something close to 98% of AMGs will get one of their top 3. 5 should be enough to match, but you will need to ask yourself a question and that question is this: "Would I rather not match and try again next year, or match into a program I didn't like, but start my training". In other words, do you hate the other programs so much you'd prefer to be unemployed? If your answer is yes, then only rank 5, but you should match with 5.

Also, some advice I got from a current resident that I think is good: Don't spend all of your time deciding between your top 5 and then just lump the rest of your programs together because you don't really want to go to them. The decision between program 6 and program 7 can seem unimportant at the time of your rank list because you are really set on going to program 1, 2, or 3. But come match day when you find out you are going to program 6 and you decide program 7 was actually a better fit, you will wish you took the lower part of your list more seriously. Just something to keep in mind, but I agree, you should end up with something in your top 5, depending on what your top 5 consists of.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, some advice I got from a current resident that I think is good: Don't spend all of your time deciding between your top 5 and then just lump the rest of your programs together because you don't really want to go to them. The decision between program 6 and program 7 can seem unimportant at the time of your rank list because you are really set on going to program 1, 2, or 3. But come match day when you find out you are going to program 6 and you decide program 7 was actually a better fit, you will wish you took the lower part of your list more seriously. Just something to keep in mind, but I agree, you should end up with something in your top 5, depending on what your top 5 consists of.

thanks for the input, totally agree. what do you mean by "depending on what your top 5 consist of." and do you tell top choices that they are highly ranked by you or do you only tell your # 1.

thanks for the input, totally agree. what do you mean by "depending on what your top 5 consist of." and do you tell top choices that they are highly ranked by you or do you only tell your # 1.

Follow up question: I really want to go where my SO goes and he is early match. I will know where he matched before I make my rank list, so should I call them and let them know the situation? How can I stay on their minds?

Follow up question: I really want to go where my SO goes and he is early match. I will know where he matched before I make my rank list, so should I call them and let them know the situation? How can I stay on their minds?

Yes. You will not place yourself on the bull**** radar or perk anyone's cynicism when you tell them, "Dear PD, my SO early matched to your facility, and as such I will be ranking your program number one on my list. I very much enjoyed my time at your program, was very impressed by the training, and I think I would thrive at your IM program. Any consideration per this issue would be very much appreciated. I will be coming out for a second look, perhaps we can talk about this issue further then. - LadyJubes"

I just mean if your top 5 are MGH, BWH, UCSF, Hopkins, UPenn then you probably have a better chance of matching lower than if your top 5 is filled with state school programs and community programs. If you get those interviews, you are definitely competitive, but you probably have a better chance to slip a little lower on your list.

ranking 10 programs is generally safe. I think that most people would prefer to match, even if it is at a program ranked lower in the list, rather than not matching at all.

Definitely rank at least 10 on your list. I know a senior that matched all the way down to his 7th choice. This was a top 30 school in IM, however.

Definitely rank at least 10 on your list. I know a senior that matched all the way down to his 7th choice. This was a top 30 school in IM, however.

Im assuming that all of his top 6 were stellar IM programs, no?