how many programs to rank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

jackflash

Does anyone know how many programs one should RANK in order to "ensure" a match? There are a bunch of programs I don't plan on ranking b/c they are basically crap. Any strategies to this?

Members don't see this ad.

New guy here. As I understand it, there is no tried-and-true formula. A lot of people say 9 or 10 is a good number for a rank list. However, if you applied to 60-70 programs and only got 10 interviews, you may not match even if you rank all 10. Conversely, if you applied to 20 and got 20 interviews, you may be able to get away with fewer than 10 on your rank list. Probably the best advice I've heard is to only rank programs you would honestly want to go to rather than not match.

Isn't this fun? :laugh:

New to the forum, but I think the match rule is quite simple. If your concern is being "matched", then by all means list all programs you interviewed. You just list the ones you don't like at the bottom. If any of the programs at the top picks you, you are set. If you are matched to a program you do not like, what can you say? At least you are still matched.

On the other hand, if you would rather be unmatched than being mached to a program you don't like, do not list it.

Everything above is good advice.

I want to emphasize one thing: don't list any programs that you will not want to be at. Thus, as nwang96 stated above, if you would rather be unmatched than being matched to a program you don't like, do not list it.

Also, welcome to Nwang96 and Visionary to the forum. :)

Wishing you all luck and Happy Holidays!