1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice

How many programs?

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by OldManDave, Sep 23, 2002.

1. OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    As I understand it, you should apply to enough programs to yield 10 to 12 interviews. Of course, there's no way to know how many programs that amounts to?!?!

So, I applied to a nice even number --> 20

Most of these programs are in the East & Northeast with a few in the South and Rocky Mtn region.

What about you?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. jester

jester Member
    7+ Year Member

Depending on where you want to go, you may want to apply to a few more programs. Coming from a DO school, with increasing competition if you want UCSF, MGH, Hopkins it may be more difficult. Hedge your bets. I did (applied to 31). Apply, then see you where you get your interviews, you can always cancel.

3. OP
    OP
    OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah, I was thinking of doing exactly that. I am planning to select an additional 5 or so to apply to. However, I do not truly feel hampered in the least having come from a DO school. I have found every program that I have interacted with to very accepting & no issues with my being a DO-to-be. But, I concede that the programs I have worked with are East coast, mid-Atlantic and mid-West ones -- who seem to have had a much longer exposure to DOs.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...