How many programs?

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by OldManDave, Sep 23, 2002.

1. OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    As I understand it, you should apply to enough programs to yield 10 to 12 interviews. Of course, there's no way to know how many programs that amounts to?!?!

So, I applied to a nice even number --> 20

Most of these programs are in the East & Northeast with a few in the South and Rocky Mtn region.

What about you?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jester

jester Member
    7+ Year Member

Depending on where you want to go, you may want to apply to a few more programs. Coming from a DO school, with increasing competition if you want UCSF, MGH, Hopkins it may be more difficult. Hedge your bets. I did (applied to 31). Apply, then see you where you get your interviews, you can always cancel.

4. OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah, I was thinking of doing exactly that. I am planning to select an additional 5 or so to apply to. However, I do not truly feel hampered in the least having come from a DO school. I have found every program that I have interacted with to very accepting & no issues with my being a DO-to-be. But, I concede that the programs I have worked with are East coast, mid-Atlantic and mid-West ones -- who seem to have had a much longer exposure to DOs.