How many questions are too many??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

valedictorian

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So when the PD asks, "any questions", how many questions are too many? Three, Four, Five???? I had an interview today where one of the interviewers asked me for questions after only a couple of minutes. So the interview consisted almost solely of me asking him questions. I asked a ton. Eventually he looked at his watch to signal we were overtime. I guessed I gauged it wrong. After how many questions should you stop for sure in this situation? Five?

Members don't see this ad.

WTF? 41 views and no frickin' replies!!! No one's got any idea???

Hi,

I've been on several interviews just like that. I hate those types of interviews. I usually ask about 5-6. Don't feel pressure to ask any more. One time I was talking to the PD, and I had asked him about 12 questions, but he kept on looking at me with eyebrows raised after he answered each question. I felt awkward and nervous and started acting really pointless questions, like how many fellows they take a year in subspecialties that I had demonstrated no interest in. Basically, the interview would have gone WAY better had I stopped with the friggin stupid questions. So, uh, quit while you're ahead.

valedictorian said:
So when the PD ask, "any questions", how many questions are too many? Three, Four, Five???? I had an interview today where one of the interviewers asked me for questions after only about a couple of minutes. So the interview consisted almost solely of me asking him questions. I asked a ton. Eventually the looked at his watch to signal we were overtime. I guessed I gauged it wrong. After how many questions should you stop for sure in this situation? Five?

After asking the applicant a couple of questions, I tell him that the rest of the interview is his. I explain that I've got a book about him and he's going to get a place somewhere. I just want to help him decide where he's going to rank my program. When he runs out of questions, we're done.

Mostly this works. I learn a bit about him by what questions he asks. Hopefully he learns a lot about us. Occasionally it freaks the applicant, who was revved up to be grilled. If he can't think of anything, I tell him to sell himself by telling what is not in his app that would help me.

I had an interesting reaction the other day. The applicant looked floored and said "I've never had an interview like this." I smiled and said "Gee, I've been doing this for twenty years, do you think I'm doing it wrong?" I think it was clear that I wasn't being sarcastic. I was just reminding him it was a mutual effort to become acquainted rather than an inqusition.

Here's my rec. You can read the list of question elsewhere in the forums. But I would recommend you figure out what you need for each program individually and ask. When you've got answers, you're done. Don't worry about the number. If it irritates the guy/gal, you're in the wrong place.

BTW, was I the guy you're talking about? If so, you couldn't ask too many questions, but eventually we have to move to the next interview. :)

So what kinds of things do you like to know when you ask the "what can you tell me outside of your application" question. I filled my app up with almost everything about me...especially in the hobbies/interests section.

cwt16 said:
So what kinds of things do you like to know when you ask the "what can you tell me outside of your application" question. I filled my app up with almost everything about me...especially in the hobbies/interests section.

Reliability, initiative, interpersonal skills, compassion (give me examples of these). What you want to do ten years from now. What is important to you. What are your values. Most importantly, why will I be happy that we matched.

How much will you p. . .nevermind. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This is the stuff that ought to be in the personal statement, but almost never is. Rather I get about 200 renditions of the same story about the one experience that made the applicant decide to go into EM. Nothing wrong with it, but it gets a little old.

BKN said:
Reliability, initiative, interpersonal skills, compassion (give me examples of these). What you want to do ten years from now. What is important to you. What are your values. Most importantly, why will I be happy that we matched.

How much will you p. . .nevermind. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This is the stuff that ought to be in the personal statement, but almost never is. Rather I get about 200 renditions of the same story about the one experience that made the applicant decide to go into EM. Nothing wrong with it, but it gets a little old.

BKN,

I didnt apply to your program due to family concerns but it seems to me like you would be the perfect PD. I love your attitude on things. :thumbup:

what if all your questions were already answered? i find that if i have any questions they tend to be either not worth their time or i can ask a resident. what if they think my questions are stupid? and what exactly are good questions to ask??? i'm on my 4th interview now and i'm still stumbling over this crap

Apollyon said:
"Tell me about yourself" - the "Do I look fat?" of interview questions. No matter what you say, you're wrong - even if you don't say anything.

Sure it's open ended. The idea is to give you rope. Use it to hang a suspension bridge, not yourself.

Call me a cock-eyed optimist,but I think most of the people in the residency end of academic medicine choose it because they like teaching and people. I don't think they're out to trip you up.

:)