How many recs and what kinds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kush4444

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have a committee rec letter, two profs, a doctor, and a boss from a research position. I was wondering if it was bad that i didn't have three academic lors.

Members don't see this ad.

Not really,
i think all you need are three letters....
I would rather have three kick-ass letters than 6 when three people dont know me really well.
It follows the general rule of thumb- Maximal quality, with a minimal quantity.
hope that helps.

covering all areas of your Ec is good (academics, research, job (possibly) and volunteer (clinical and non clinical.....probably clinical better)

YML is correct. It aint the quantity, but the quality that counts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 4 from professors, 1 from my research advisor, 1 from summer employment (non-medical), and 1 from my supervisor at the medical lab where I worked.

Sometimes I wonder if it looks bad not having one from a physician.

you are too kind....

if your gonna get one from a doctor that you didnt work with, you might as well get one from your priest/rabbi...
they dont want to see superficial letters, or letters from your best friends older brother.

I obviously wouldn't have asked some random doc I never really worked with. I just meant I wonder if it would have been better to shadow or intern instead of just volunteer. That way I might have been able to get a letter from a physician.

thanks for the advice. i had just heard that at some schools three academic recs were required and i wasn't sure if the comm. letter would count. I definately agree with you all about the quality v. quantity issue, which is why i'd rather stick with what i have than asking for another letter from a prof. i don't really know. Thanks again.