musicalfeet

5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2013
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
1 official, but I suspect there's a lot more silent ones that have secretly rejected me (2 holds that..if any past indication foretells, very few people get off of and receive II), and 2 silences pre-secondary (has a screen) which I assume also means I'm out.

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
3 but only one was for non oos reasons. The other ones just sent the standard " we are a land grant university so don't bother thinking about it"

Mar 8, 2015
Status
Medical Student
1! I don't even like mayonnaise anyways!

May 30, 2015
Status
I have 1 MD rejection, post-interview at CNUCOM. Thats okay, they can charge exorbitant fees to a more qualified applicant.

Sep 24, 2013
Status
Am I the only one that think it would be worth it to have a "which schools have started rejecting" thread, just like the schools that have started interviewing thread? Personally, I know that most all schools have started interviewing already, and I would much rather know which schools have actually rejected people so I can guess at whether I'm still being considered or if I've been passed over by a school that hasn't invited me to interview.

Mar 8, 2015
Status
Medical Student

ciestar

All grown up! MS4!
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Zero. I do have a hold though.
Just a TON of silence basically....

Reactions: Sahgee

Azete

2+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Such a strange cycle. Rejected post-secondary at 3 of my "backup" schools, including a bottom-tier DO school that I only applied to for location reasons. II at 3 of my "don't even bother" schools and one other DO II.

Plays major games with your mind.

Edit: For those with no II's, not long ago I was sitting at a 0-3 score wondering which one of my letter writers said I was a rapist.

Last edited:

Avanafil

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Aug 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Such a strange cycle. Rejected post-secondary at 3 of my "backup" schools, including a bottom-tier DO school that I only applied to for location reasons. II at 3 of my "don't even bother" schools and one other DO II.

Plays major games with your mind.

Edit: For those with no II's, not long ago I was sitting at 0-3 score wondering which one of my letter writers said I was a rapist.
stats?

NotYou20

5+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2012
Status
Medical Student
One rejection and one II so far. If all 25+ schools applies to could keep that ratio going, that would be lovely.

Reactions: teeayejay

hueso

2+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2014
Status
Medical Student, Medical Student (Accepted)
Zero rejections, one hold, two II. I'm a reapplicant, and last cycle I started getting rejections in October and didn't get any interviews until January so I'm both happy for the improvement and nervous for the coming month.

ciestar

All grown up! MS4!
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
This is making me crazy. Seriously still trying to find a DO to shadow to get a DO letter so I can apply to a few DO schools too...

Reactions: MD/DO_2016

Azete

2+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2015
Status
Medical Student
This is making me crazy. Seriously still trying to find a DO to shadow to get a DO letter so I can apply to a few DO schools too...
Honestly any physician letter will work. Many DO students get accepted with MD letters.

ciestar

All grown up! MS4!
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Honestly any physician letter will work. Many DO students get accepted with MD letters.
Oh really? I could probably easily get one of those...

Azete

2+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Oh really? I could probably easily get one of those...
I think it's a wise option to apply DO as well, even if you have competitive stats for MD. I definitely wouldn't apply to 15 DO schools, but pick and choose a few based on ideal locations and run with it.

In my opinion, attending DO in a location you love is better than waiting another year for MD. At the end of the day, a great MD school may help poor board scores, but strong boards are going to match into good residencies regardless of DO or MD.

The only time I would say it isn't worth it to apply DO is if you're dead set on a top residency program in a competitive specialty. We all want top matches but realistically only ~1% of us actually fall into this category.

ciestar

All grown up! MS4!
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I think it's a wise option to apply DO as well, even if you have competitive stats for MD. I definitely wouldn't apply to 15 DO schools, but pick and choose a few based on ideal locations and run with it.

In my opinion, attending DO in a location you love is better than waiting another year for MD. At the end of the day, a great MD school may help poor board scores, but strong boards are going to match into good residencies regardless of DO or MD.

The only time I would say it isn't worth it to apply DO is if you're dead set on a top residency program in a competitive specialty. We all want top matches but realistically only ~1% of us actually fall into this category.
I'd only apply to a couple. I could in no way afford to apply to that many DO schools, nor have the desire to write that many more secondaries. PCOM is at the top of the list, but I'd need to do more research beyond that.

ciestar

All grown up! MS4!
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
....and upon further research PCOM doesn't require a DO letter at all.. xD

Azete

2+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I'd only apply to a couple. I could in no way afford to apply to that many DO schools, nor have the desire to write that many more secondaries. PCOM is at the top of the list, but I'd need to do more research beyond that.
Some DO schools have odd mandatory attendance policies, others use PBL systems, and some don't video lectures or provide slides. Just make sure you're not applying to a program that would hinder your ability to learn effectively.

I'd go down the list based on locations you like and then look into them more from there. I only found 3 that met my criteria but I'd be equally happy attending them as I would most MD schools.

summergirl

7+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2012
Status
Medical Student
One rejection, one hold and two IIs. Would love to see this ratio in the 11 schools I haven't heard back yet.
I've already exceeded my expected number of IIs for this cycle and it's only early Sept! Guess luck is on my side this year:)

Gandyy

5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2014
Status
Medical Student
As far as MD schools go, I have 2 rejections and 1 "hold" (which is probably a rejection).

DO application cycle is going well though, and I am not complaining.

CCMDOC9254

2+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2015
Status
Medical Student
6 rejections and 6 interviews! And oddly like @Azete said, my rejections are from the lower tier schools and a few of my interviews are from reach schools, but hey I'm not complaining haha.

Reactions: bloom32

NotAnotherPreMed

2+ Year Member
May 17, 2015
At the end of an Old Fishing Rod
Status
Medical Student
1 rejection, 2 IIs and 20 'silences'. Haven't checked all my portals recently though so don't know about holds. I haven't heard back from anyone in the last 2.5 weeks so kinda confused and just trynna be patient. Completed almost everywhere around last 10 days of July.

Reactions: XxThaDoggxX

Ox King

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jul 25, 2015
Status
Medical Student
6 II's, 4 rejections so far. Applied to like ~40 schools. My II's and rejections have spanned the spectrum of super-reaches to "lower-tier programs" (not that any program is low tier). Mid-tiers have been silent! It goes to show you that you cannot predict who you will hear back from.

Reactions: MedDoctor92
Jun 25, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
2 rejections from lower tier MD and 2 IIs (one from a state school, one from a holy-cow-WTF reach)!