How Many Research Hours for Research-Focused Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laura Jean

Reaction score
I am curious about how many research hours research-focused schools like to see in an applicant. Now, I do realize that there a lot of other things to consider (GPA, MCAT, clinical experience, ECs, etc.) but I am wondering if there is a good goal amount, like how 150 hrs in other categories is a good minimum. Also, I am curious about students coming straight from undergraduate, not people who have a ton of research from masters/bost-bacc programs or non-trad students who did research full time. Obviously, a medical school would expect less from an undergrad, but I am just curious....

Members don't see this ad.

A research focused school likes to see engagement in the scientific method... proposing and testing a hypothesis and taking it to its intended end which is to contribute to generalizable new knowledge through publication of one's findings. It doesn't matter the length of the journey, it is the destination that is the objective.

Not everyone gets to the intended destination and having attempted the trip and been actively engaged for at least a summer of full time research or 15 hours /wk for 30 weeks (so either way about 400-450 hours) would show serious engagement in research.

Reactions: 3 users
As LizzyM said 400-500 is probably minimum (lot of kids do 10 week summer stints). My Kid had 2000 hrs as traditional undergrad at the time of application and got interviews with most research heavy schools.