How many retakes are too many?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Telekinesis

Gig 'Em
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking a class over once? Twice? Thrice?

Members don't see this ad.

Physics I -- 3 times
Chem I -- 3 times
Bio -- 2 times

Plus some non science retakes

Just do what you have to. I still didn't get any better than a B in any retakes except for Biology. I just don't get physics or chem.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you score > 25, I would not take it again. You risk getting a score < 25 the second time around, and that is just not worth it. If, on your first attempt, you got < 25, you don't have much to lose by taking it a second time...

Unless you get like < 20 your second time around.

(Ignore this post. I derped.)

Last edited:
Taking a class over once? Twice? Thrice?

2x is fine. 3x is suspicious. 4x oh hell no.

If you score > 25, I would not take it again. You risk getting a score < 25 the second time around, and that is just not worth it. If, on your first attempt, you got < 25, you don't have much to lose by taking it a second time...

Unless you get like < 20 your second time around.

Read the post homie.

2x is fine. 3x is suspicious. 4x oh hell no.

Read the post homie.

Ahahaha. I didn't even read the whole thing. (Assumed it was MCAT-related.)

OP: I'd only retake a class once... but then again maybe not. I got a C+ in gen chem 2. I have no time to take the class over again, nor a real desire to. To each his own.

Bump. I am trying to convince my friend to apply to DO schools instead of podiatry, and that he can repeat classes. We figured out if he repeated 6 science classes he can have a 3.6sGPA instead of 2.9. Is 6 too many?

I would say twice. If you have to take several classes three times to get a respectable grade, then it becomes highly suspect that you will do well in medical school where you certainly don't get that many chances before you're dismissed.

No.

I retook 7 classes (most of the prereqs), and retook orgo 1 three times (once freshman year, once senior year, and last time during my postbacc 4years later).

Bump. I am trying to convince my friend to apply to DO schools instead of podiatry, and that he can repeat classes. We figured out if he repeated 6 science classes he can have a 3.6sGPA instead of 2.9. Is 6 too many?

I have 6 retakes on my transcript. Got 8 interviews, attended 3, and got accepted to 2.

Exploit this grade forgiveness thing. It is truly godsend.

Reactions: 1 user
Nope, I took more than that over. Many 3-4 times over a course of 10 years ( physics, organic, chem I, chem II, trig, calculus). Keep plugging, grade replacement is your friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't take a class more than 2-3 times.

No. Pretty much anything less than 20 is probably fine, but I have heard some schools not liking more than 8-10.

I wouldn't take a class more than 2-3 times.

No. Pretty much anything less than 20 is probably fine, but I have heard some schools not liking more than 8-10.