How many reviews a day is too many?

TragicalDrFaust

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yesterday for example. Exceeded 1,300 reviews and took 4 hours. Slightly more than 10sec/card. 140 new cards and probably spent some time editing them (adding pictures or clarifying wording) as I went along. Then spent about 2.5 hours going through two lecture hours to make more cards (our in house deck is bad and there isn't strong overlap with boards and beyond). I've probably averaged in the low mid 70s on exams this semester. Is anything I've described part of the problem?

Members don't see this ad.

You exceeded 1300 reviews in a single day? Are you trying to catch up with your reviews? If your school has class rank, selling your soul to anki might not be the best strategy but to each their own

Some of my classmates are doing 2,000 reviews a day, but they also make 150+ cards per lecture. How many cards do you make per lecture? Do you suspend your class lecture cards after you finish the block? Do you use pre-made step decks like Anking or Lightyear?

I think it’s important to not just rely solely on Anki. You should be doing practice questions too if your professors make any.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That seems like a lot especially for year 1. My DO school has class rank and I found success by using Anking and unsuspending liberally, then filling in the gaps with class content (~150 new class lecture cards per week). This has come to about 500-700 reviews per day. Maybe you're making too many cards on low yield content and losing the forest for the trees. For renal, cardio, and pulm, the only way to do well is grind practice questions.

You exceeded 1300 reviews in a single day? Are you trying to catch up with your reviews? If your school has class rank, selling your soul to anki might not be the best strategy but to each their own
I do all my reviews every day. That's the kicker - I'm primarily basing my anki off of in house lectures so I'm not sure how I would go about adjusting my use of anki to improve my exam grades.

Some of my classmates are doing 2,000 reviews a day, but they also make 150+ cards per lecture. How many cards do you make per lecture? Do you suspend your class lecture cards after you finish the block? Do you use pre-made step decks like Anking or Lightyear?

I think it’s important to not just rely solely on Anki. You should be doing practice questions too if your professors make any.
I try to keep it under 100 per lecture and usually end up making between 40-80 cards. I suspend class lecture cards after the block but do not suspend the lightyear cards that used to study for the block. It really depends on the block but I'll usually unsuspend 5-30 lightyear cards per lecture.

That seems like a lot especially for year 1. My DO school has class rank and I found success by using Anking and unsuspending liberally, then filling in the gaps with class content (~150 new class lecture cards per week). This has come to about 500-700 reviews per day. Maybe you're making too many cards on low yield content and losing the forest for the trees. For renal, cardio, and pulm, the only way to do well is grind practice questions.
Where do you find practice questions? The boards and beyond ones aren't relevant to our class material for the most part. Also I agree I could be spending too much time with low yield material but most of my profs are PhDs and will include questions on what I feel are minutia. I did the same on renal, cardio and pulm as other blocks using the same strategy I described above except a bit less boards and beyond and our profs gave us a couple practice problems.

Edit: typo

I do all my reviews every day. That's the kicker - I'm primarily basing my anki off of in house lectures so I'm not sure how I would go about adjusting my use of anki to improve my exam grades.

I try to keep it under 100 per lecture and usually end up making between 40-80 cards. I suspend class lecture cards after the block but do not suspend the lightyear cards that used to study for the block. It really depends on the block but I'll usually unsuspend 5-30 lightyear cards per lecture.

Where do you find practice questions? The boards and beyond ones aren't relevant to our class material for the most part. Also I agree I could be spending too much time with low yield material but most of my profs are PhDs and will include questions on what I feel are minutia. I did the same on renal, cardio and pulm as other blocks using the same strategy I described above except a bit less boards and beyond and our profs gave us a couple practice problems.

Edit: typo
I also keep up with all my reviews and I don’t resuspend anything so I was a tad surprised at the number. What year are you if you don’t mind me asking? If you’re not taking step anytime soon, usmle rx is pretty great and it’s cheap if you get it on the holidays. To put it in perspective, I got it for 70 percent off on Black Friday. If you’re closer to step, uworld and Kaplan will probably be better options. They also do holiday sales so I’d keep an eye on that.

Guyton Review (not the textbook) and Costanzo practice questions will set you up well for physio. I would actually say they are essential for those classes. The Guyton book has ~80 questions per section with good explanations.

@TragicalDrFaust

It’s possible that your school teaches far away from AnKing, but you may just be missing the correct cards. The BnB tag is far from perfect.

What % of your decks “Anki step deck,” “lolnotacop,” and “Zanki pharm” are unsuspended/young/mature? Are you an M1?

Reactions: 1 user