how many school are you applying to? 20+ too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rawknee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far I've somewhat narrowed my decision to apply to 23 schools. Is this too much? Will the schools know that I'm applying to a ridiculous amount of other schools?

I'm a California resident so I basically wanted to apply to as much of the OOS accepting schools as possible. Am I stretching a little too far with a 3.34 gpa, 21TS, 20AA, and 25 PAT? what schools should I bail on this list?

Thanks for your help!

ASDOH
BU
CASE
COLUMBIA
CREIGHTON
MIDWESTERN
NYU
NOVA
TEMPLE
TUFTS
BUFFALO
UCLA
UCSF
LOUISVILLE
MARYLAND
NJDS
MICHIGAN
UNLV
PITTSBURGH
USC
UOP
VCU
WESTERN

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
so its ok to apply to 20+ schools? jigabodo, it seems you did fine with applying to 22

I think your DAT scores are good and you can reduce your list to 10-12 schools.

so its ok to apply to 20+ schools? jigabodo, it seems you did fine with applying to 22

As long as you are genuinely interested in those schools that you listed you should be fine. I think you have a good shot at getting accepted to at least one school give you have a exceptionally strong DAT score which covers for a slightly below average GPA.

If you feel insecure, why not apply to as many as you want...or can afford. Just remember, you may have to interview at many of them if you are good enough. That's a lot of money for most of us. If you can afford it, go for it!

If you feel insecure, why not apply to as many as you want...or can afford. Just remember, you may have to interview at many of them if you are good enough. That's a lot of money for most of us. If you can afford it, go for it!

There was somebody during our cycle who applied to ALL dental schools throughout the nation. That was just crazy.

There was somebody during our cycle who applied to ALL dental schools throughout the nation. That was just crazy.

It seems that there is always somebody who does that.

I kept my list to 10 schools. Does someone have an average on the number of schools the typical applicant applies to. I want to now if im cutting myself too thin. Money is money, but I thought that if i do not get an interview from at least one of ten schools, it wouldnt be worth applying to any more.

They could've saved 15% or more on application fee had they checked up on predents.com beforehand.

Since some schools don't accept out of staters at all.

Hahaha! :smuggrin:That's why I picked 'local' state schools and the rest were private. :laugh:

The only state schools I applied were Uconn and SUNY-Buffalo. :thumbup:
At least you got in though. Is Louisville state or private?

Hahaha! :smuggrin:That's why I picked 'local' state schools and the rest were private. :laugh:

The only state schools I applied were Uconn and SUNY-Buffalo. :thumbup:
At least you got in though. Is Louisville state or private?

It's State.

I pretty much had the same idea as you. I needed to research carefully before I apply since I am an international student, and apply blindly is pretty suicidal. :laugh:

i honestly think apply to more than 10 schools are waste of money. Most of public schools only take in state students unless you are very competitive. But from looking at your number, i think you should just narrow down to less than 10 to save you some money and stress. kept in mind they can also see what schools that you are applying too, i am feeling such a large list shows you feel insecure?

i honestly think apply to more than 10 schools are waste of money. Most of public schools only take in state students unless you are very competitive. But from looking at your number, i think you should just narrow down to less than 10 to save you some money and stress. kept in mind they can also see what schools that you are applying too, i am feeling such a large list shows you feel insecure?

I talked to dental faculty and they suggested applying to about 10. I've met several people who applied to 10-15 schools. It's up to the individual don't feel that you are coming across as desperate if the OP does apply to that many.