How many schools and which schools to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocwaveoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.
My stats are a bit on the low end and am trying to get some opinions on:

1) Whether I should try to apply to pretty much anything under the sun in hopes of getting in somewhere or apply to ones I have chances at along with some that may be a bit out of reach.
2) Names of schools you think I have some chances at given my stats.

Overall GPA 3.41
BCPM 3.8
AO 3.2
MCAT to be taken in Aug/07 but say 30P
Physical therapist (BS degree)
I'm an older (in my late 30s) applicant

I've done some research on schools using the "US News' Ultimate guide to medical schools". But, I thought I'd get some opinions from actual applicants. Also, I'm a resident of Hawaii, though I don't get classified as a resident for the University of Hawaii's medical school and get classified as a non resident. I did live in California from 1982 - 2004. So, I am not a "resident" at Hawaii or California.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

there's nothing low about a 3.4/3.8

it really depends on which state you live in. i say don't shoot for Harvard, but you should have a good chance at some middle-tier schools.

being older will probably help you as well.

Yeah, according to the stats, I only have about a handful of private schools which I my stats are reasonably close to the accepted stats. If my GPA is lower by more than 0.2 of the accepted GPA (so anything above 3.61 as the mean accepted GPA), I plan on not applying to them. So you are saying I should still apply to them?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are nearly identical to mine (my BCPM is tiny bit lower, AO a little bit higher) and I haven't taken the MCAT either. I've had quite a few people tell me I'm fine with my numbers.

I don't have a state school either, which sucks,*although I feel that being a CA resident can be a real pain if you aren't a stellar applicant. I plan on applying very broadly to schools that have a <3.7 average GPA. The only thing that I can tell you is that if you're planning on applying for this cycle with an August MCAT, you're putting yourself at a HUGE disadvantage. I personally would not apply that late in the season with my numbers. I'm not saying you won't get in, but if you do, you would definintely have more options applying earlier.

Yeah, according to the stats, I only have about a handful of private schools which I my stats are reasonably close to the accepted stats. If my GPA is lower by more than 0.2 of the accepted GPA (so anything above 3.61 as the mean accepted GPA), I plan on not applying to them. So you are saying I should still apply to them?
Thanks

So at the four places I have interviews at (two of which I've gotten into with the two remaining interviews next week) my science GPA has been 0.6 pts below their average and my cumulative GPA has been between 0.1 and 0.15 below the cumulative average. However, my MCAT has been between 1 and 3 points above each average depending on the school. I say try to rock the MCAT and pick schools based on location and where you could see yourself being happy. After you get that list, make sure that it includes some lower tier schools as well as middle and a few "reach" schools. In my case, the lower tier schools have actually completely ignored me while schools in the top 25 have been more accommodating/interested in my app. Also, try to rock the MCAT since doing so will definitely help you at the more competitive places. Without my high MCAT score I don't think I would have done nearly as well this cycle (I started the cycle not knowing what that score would be so my list was very low/middle tier focused).

Thanks for the inputs. They were very helpful.
I do have another question.
Do the out of state applicants who get accepted to state schools usually have high GPAs than say what I have (I'm the poster of this thread, so my stats are listed on in the first inquiry)? Should I pretty much stick to private schools?
Thanks.

Do the out of state applicants who get accepted to state schools usually have high GPAs than say what I have (I'm the poster of this thread, so my stats are listed on in the first inquiry)? Should I pretty much stick to private schools?
Thanks.

If you mean is it hard to get into a state school at a different state, than yes. Some schools don't even take out-of-staters at all.

I'm from Maine and thus have no state schools. Of my 22 schools, the only state schools were some UCs. And that was just because I love Cali, and the schools are amazing. But I didn't hear a peep from them.

There are enough private schools out there to allow you to build a substantial list. There's no need to waste time and money on state schools that you don't think you have a chance at.

Also, don't sell yourself short on the MCAT. You might surprise yourself. It's a lot of critical thinking. I wouldn't be surprised if your age gives you a huge benefit over those of us who took it while in college. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I'll likely skip all the state schools except for a few. How many schools are you guys applying to?

22 on my AMCAS. Secondaries for about 18. About $3500 and counting.

Have you checked out the MSAR...it could give you an idea about where to apply .....

I've heard that the average people apply to is around 15 schools...I wouldn't take the august MCAT and apply that same year....your stats are on the low side for people accepted, and it would put you at an added disadvantage...you are more likely to get interviews if you apply early ....like turn in your primary in April....and get secondaries done as soon as possible

I've heard that the average people apply to is around 15 schools...I wouldn't take the august MCAT and apply that same year....your stats are on the low side for people accepted, and it would put you at an added disadvantage...you are more likely to get interviews if you apply early ....like turn in your primary in April....and get secondaries done as soon as possible

AMCAS primary application probably won't be made available until June. As far as the GPA is concerned, I think it's absolutely fine. The overall GPA could have been a bit higher (3.5+) but the BCPM GPA looks solid and if you either showed consistency or improvement, then you don't have to worry too much about that.

Taking the MCATs in August isn't a tremendous disadvantage as long as you get your secondaries and finish them up as quickly as possible. But are you definitely sure about taking it August? They offer it in June and July too.

As for the number of schools to apply to...15-20 is a safe range. When you start taking practice MCAT exams and see how you're doing on those, then you might adjust according to how well or how poorly you're doing and add/subtract some schools.

Chable, thanks for the insight! What you said about the practice MCAT score and making adjustments on the school list makes sense. I realize that for my stats MCAT will either make me or break me. So, I'd really like to prepare for it during the summer. I'm surprised at how much applying can cost. Bbabul01 has already spent $3500. I wonder if that includes traveling expenses.

....yeah, sorry I ment June....I just don't want to give the OP a false sense of security...it isn't easy to get in with a GPA around 3.5....no matter the prestigue of the undergrad school.... It definitely helps if you do well on the MCAT, but it doesn't always make up for the GPA...and if you take the MCAT in August, it does really put you at a disadvantages, because a lot of people have b.....actually, I forgot that the MCAT is now computerized and you'll get your scores back sooner....maybe it isn't as bad of an idea as a year ago....but still, unless you have a perfect MCAT and perfect GPA, it is best to give yourself every advantage possilbe (apply really early)