How many schools are you applying to? (new poll)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many?

• 0-5

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • 6-10

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • 11-15

Votes: 27 20.8%
  • 16-20

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • 21-25

Votes: 13 10.0%
  • 26-30

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • 31-35

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • 36-40

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • 41+

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

str8flexed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many schools are you applying to? I know you've seen this poll before, but here is one with more options! Feel free to vote if you are applying this year, OR have already applied.

Members don't see this ad.

str8flexed said:
How many schools are you applying to? I know you've seen this poll before, but here is one with more options! Feel free to vote if you are applying this year, OR have already applied.
Ah there you go str8flexed! I blame it on pre-senioritis. ;)

My God 16-20? That's gonna cost like $5000. You people are crazy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pkboi24 said:
And 16-20 is the low end! There are applicants who play the odds (crapshoot). Needless to say its a true investment.

You should do a poll in the allopathic forum asking students who applied to 20+ schools if they thought it was worth the time and money, or if they would have reduced the number of schools they applied to.

I plan on applying to 15 schools. Perhaps more as SDN and MDapps slowly destroys my confidence ;) I'd apply to 30+ if I had the money to burn.

If EDP works out, I'm applying to one. If not, I *might* apply to two others but I'll decide if it comes to that.

So 1-3 for me.

oxeye said:
If EDP works out, I'm applying to one. If not, I *might* apply to two others but I'll decide if it comes to that.

So 1-3 for me.

:scared: I hope all the 0-5ers are applying EDP. Otherwise, they will likely be very very sad come next May.

CostalShowers said:
You should do a poll in the allopathic forum asking students who applied to 20+ schools if they thought it was worth the time and money, or if they would have reduced the number of schools they applied to.
Better yet, do a poll in the re-applicants forum and see if they think that 20 schools was enough. The bottom line is: applying to med school is something that you only want to do ONE time. So, apply carefully, apply wisely, and apply to enough schools so that you don't have to do it again. Twenty schools, while expensive, is not unreasonable, especially if your stats are below stellar.

$5000 is worth it to me if I got into a medical school due to a fortunate crapshoot. I'm not one of those super crazy "premed machines" who can pursue my dreams by bringing out the tin can.

Teerawit said:
$5000 is worth it to me if I got into a medical school due to a fortunate crapshoot. I'm not one of those super crazy "premed machines" who can get into medical schools by bringing out the tin can.
Weren't you a Goldwater? That's not a crazy award or anything :)

BrettBatchelor said:

Yeah....I suppose....but my motto is "better safe than sorry" :)

i'm applying to 0-5.... or more specifically 0!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Pkboi24 said:

Its only 5000 if you start including costs such as interviewing costs and travel costs(this is assuming you get lots of interviews)

The application costs for 20 schools will on average be 2500 or less. I applied to 20 on AMCAS last year, filled out I think 17 secondaries, I think it was about 750 for AMCAS and about 1500 for the secondaries which comes out to 2,250.

BrettBatchelor said:
haha, T, you are a premed machine. :)
just kidding of course.

i think i'm applying to no more than 15 schools. i'm applying md/phd/mstp, and here's what i figure: there are roughly 43 mstp schools, 28 of which offer biomedical engineering for the phd portion, and chances are there are no more than 15 of those schools that are actually in places where i'd like to live for 8 years of my life (no offense, iowa, but i don't think i could do it ;)).

Way to go for the person applying to 41+ schools! How about some of that money my way...? :p

I have a list of about 6 schools that I think I would be happy to attend. I like the locations, and I like the schools. If the MCAT Gods smile on me, then I will only apply to six. We'll see come the end of june.

scentimint said:
haha, T, you are a premed machine. :)
just kidding of course.

Haha....well..I'm not gonna apply to only HMS :laugh:

Unfortunately while i have no money and i am in debt...i've made it this far and i'm going to make it happen. I don't think people should be concerned with money when applying to school's, this is only something you want to do once...so i'm applying to 20 schools. Who care's how much it costs...its an investment. Time = money

Dmizrahi said:
Unfortunately while i have no money and i am in debt...i've made it this far and i'm going to make it happen. I don't think people should be concerned with money when applying to school's, this is only something you want to do once...so i'm applying to 20 schools. Who care's how much it costs...its an investment. Time = money
Yep, like I said above, its an investment. Do it once, get it over with and carry on with the rest of your MD or DO life.

I only applied to 4 and I have average stats, but alot of clinical/extracurriculars. I think it definately depends on what schools you are looking at. I had my heart set on OHSU and felt that it was a good fit for me and I got in. You just have to know yourself very well AND the school very well if you want to risk applying to just a few schools.

FloridaMadame said:
Better yet, do a poll in the re-applicants forum and see if they think that 20 schools was enough. The bottom line is: applying to med school is something that you only want to do ONE time. So, apply carefully, apply wisely, and apply to enough schools so that you don't have to do it again. Twenty schools, while expensive, is not unreasonable, especially if your stats are below stellar.

By the way, I was serious about my poll.

Getting advice from current students is better than having fellow pre-meds scare you into feeling like if you didn't apply to 20+ schools, your chances aren't as good.