How Many Schools Are you Applying To?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Squarepants

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize it's somewhat early for the question, but that's all right. If you're applying this year, how many schools are you planning on applying to, and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Aww, you didn't get any replies. :(

I applied to 13 schools last year. That's maybe an average-high number. I've heard of people doing 30 or more, I have no idea how anyone can afford that in time or money. I've also heard of people applying to 3 or 4, which seems like an invitation for a year of RA work to me....

13 seemed to me a reasonable balance. A good number of schools, all with research I was interested in doing and a prof available to take students. In my more skittish moments I considered bumping it up to 15, but then reconsidered.

I'd definitely recommend AT LEAST 6-8 programs. If you only apply to a few schools, with the acceptance rates being what they are....you will really paint yourself into a corner.

For some the shotgun method works, though I'd be concerned with being able to have all quality applications and how much of a stretch "fit" may be. Sometimes people have more flexibility in what/where they want to study, and I think that helps. There are niche people who only want to stay in one area (ex: NYC) or only want to work with a couple specific people (like me....okay not really. ;) ).

I'd strongly suggest starting with all programs, and then widdling down from there, instead of just going for 'known' schools. I know when I looked, I never seriously considered certain schools based on geography, and only later did I find out (through SDN) that there were some great programs I never considered.

-t

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd strongly suggest starting with all programs, and then widdling down from there, instead of just going for 'known' schools. I know when I looked, I never seriously considered certain schools based on geography, and only later did I find out (through SDN) that there were some great programs I never considered.

I agree. That's what I did using the Insider's Guide: cut out programs that weren't funded or research-centred, then looked for profs who did the sort of research I wanted to do, then checked if they were accepting new students. I had very little selecting to do once it got down to that.

I did 13 as well. Another thing to consider is how qualified you are and what kind of schools you are applying to. I applied primarily to top-notch or at least near-top-notch programs. I wouldn't recommend anyone apply to less than 10 PhD programs unless you have an "in" somewhere or are EXTREMELY well qualified (e.g. multiple first-author publications in your area). Do people get in applying to less? Of course, but unless you're open to the idea of having to reapply I think minimizing risk is a good way to go.

If you're applying to prof schools or lower-end PhD programs, you can probably get away with applying to less (assuming, of course, you are still well-qualified).

Last year I pulled out the U.S. News' Best Schools 2007 list and applied to 10 of the top ranked clinical Psychology programs...and got my ass handed to me in 10 nice little envelopes w/ rejection notices in them..

This year I plan to apply to 10-15 different schools based more on fit than any rankings per se, including some crappy back ups just in case all else fails. I would say the worse you do in college (gpa, gre, lack of research/experience, etc.), the more schools you should apply to, but make sure you apply to ones in your league and not necessarily schools that have a very high likelihood of rejecting you in the first place.

Last year I applied to 11 top-notch schools. Although I consider my qualifications to be good, I didn't get into any (2 interviews though). This year I'm going to apply to about 20. good luck.

Last year I applied to 11 top-notch schools. Although I consider my qualifications to be good, I didn't get into any (2 interviews though). This year I'm going to apply to about 20. good luck.

Did you apply solely because of the rank? That's trouble; userdefined has moved toward the best way of applying, which is seeking out strong fit between you and the program.

"top-notch" is a fuzzy contruct for schools :p you might unknowlingly be applying to work with the deadwood in an otherwise productive department.

Good luck!

Hello

I am applying this fall to about 15 shools (or 15 professors should I say!). I thought it was a lot, but apparently not. My situation is that my boyfriend is applying at the same time to medical school, so we need to multiply our chances of getting into schools in the same area (we might need a tiny bit of luck on that one!).

It is hard to find 15-20 professors that match exactly one's research interests. But by stretching out those interests, we may even end up researching some really interesting topics we had never thought of before!

A long process begins...

-R.

I applied to 4 schools. I was originally planning to apply to 8, but unexpected things came up in terms of money, so I decided to take my chances and picked the schools I felt I had the best match. Fortunately I was accepted at 2 of the schools. I would recommend applying to at least 6.

Wow. I'm planning on applying to 5, but almost everyone suggests 10 or more. Except Salsybabe! I'm hoping to apply to school psych programs, and maybe a couple of counseling or clinicals.

Can anyone who applied to school or counseling (and applied to 10 or fewer schools) offer feedback on how their application process went?

Wow. I'm planning on applying to 5, but almost everyone suggests 10 or more. Except Salsybabe! I'm hoping to apply to school psych programs, and maybe a couple of counseling or clinicals.

Can anyone who applied to school or counseling (and applied to 10 or fewer schools) offer feedback on how their application process went?

Most of my friends applied to school programs actually. I think they applied to about 8-10 each. They got in, but all off waitlists.

I applied to 4 schools. I was originally planning to apply to 8, but unexpected things came up in terms of money, so I decided to take my chances and picked the schools I felt I had the best match. Fortunately I was accepted at 2 of the schools. I would recommend applying to at least 6.

I'd say 6 is chancing things. I know 13 required budget stretching for me, but in the end it was VERY worth it. Think about the costs associated with not getting in--much higher than adding four schools to your list!
(congrats about getting yesses at 2/4! That's awesome!)

I applied to counseling and clinical programs. I'd say that Ed-department counseling is not super-competitive, but the opportunities in funding, research training, and clinical training are also, on average, weaker than psych-housed departments. I found psych-housed counseling departments to be on par with clinical programs in competitiveness of applicants and funding opportunities for students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to 17 schools (ugggggggg) and I suppose it was worth it. I had things go wrong with a few schools (profs said they were taking students, but changed their minds; transcripts got lost so my app didn't get reviewed), and, of course, even for the schools where my app went in perfectly, I was applying to places that accept less than 1% of their applicants (PhD programs, primarily clinical psych). Applying to such a large number helped increase my odds, but the process was hell. So much money and so much work...

A few things to consider:

1) How much can you afford? Don't forget including application fees, transcript fees, stamps/fed-ex costs, GRE fees - it adds up very quickly.

2) How much time can you devote to applications? I think it's better to send out 8 flawless apps as opposed to 17 apps with errors and personal statements that haven't been tailored for each school.

3) How much do your letter writers like you? It's not easy asking someone to fill out 17 sets of forms - I made the process as easy as possible, but I know it was still a lot work for my professors/advisors. Luckily, I had a close relationship with all of them. These relationship took a long time be to establish though, and I'm not sure if I would have found profs willing to complete 17 letters if I had applied straight out of undergrad.

4) Do you have limitations on locations? I could only apply to schools in large cities, where my husband could find a job. Schools in bigger cities often get more applicants (especially popular cities like Boston and Chicago) and thus are more competitive. Schools in California are also notoriously difficult to get into.

5) Do you have to get in this year? I know some people end up in situations where they really need to start grad school in the next year, but consider whether you might be better off spending a year as an RA as opposed to going to a "safety school." If you think you might be able improve your app in the next year (get more research/clinical experience, improve your GRE, publish) and waiting another year to go to school wouldn't be the end of the world, then leave the safety schools off your list, especially the non-funded ones. Focus your efforts on the applications for schools you'd be really thrilled to attend.

amy203 said:
3) How much do your letter writers like you? It's not easy asking someone to fill out 17 sets of forms - I made the process as easy as possible, but I know it was still a lot work for my professors/advisors. Luckily, I had a close relationship with all of them. These relationship took a long time be to establish though, and I'm not sure if I would have found profs willing to complete 17 letters if I had applied straight out of undergrad.

That's actually perhaps my primary reason for applying to fewer schools. I just don't feel comfortable asking for so many letters. I applied to 6 schools in undergrad, and it felt uncomfortable back then too. I know that they know it's tough to get into grad schools, etc, but even still, it's something I'd really rather not do. I wouldn't even ask my parents for that many LORs if it were acceptible to obtain LORs from one's mum and dad.

So it's not really the money - after all, the price of a plane ticket alone can dwarf the prices of five or six apps in one sweep - it's the "hey, I really want to go to a (insert type) psychology program next year, and to show you how focused I am on attending my dream school, and how much I value our relationship, dear letter writer, here are a dozen recommendations I need, and here are my dozen copy-pasted letters of intent and sincerity for each school! Have 'em in the mail by the end of the month, mmkay?"-factor that's keeping my target number low.

C'mon, y'all. I can't be the only one who feels this way..?

I applied to 10 last year but I really wish I had applied to less. My research interest isn't the most common one out there so that limited how many really good matches I could find (plus some good matches were not accepting students, keep that in mind). While I applied to 10, looking back, I think less than half of those I would have actually gone to. I don't fully blame myself for that, on a few I only learned that after going on the interview and seeing what they had to offer, but there are some that I should have figured it earlier.

Anyway, long story short, it is good to apply to a lot of programs but only apply to good match schools where you would actually want to go! What good is getting into a school that won't meet your needs or get you where you need to go (or that you will be miserable at)? Remember, this is the next 4+ years of your life!

I wish you all the best of luck!

I second what irish said about not over-applying either. Its good to increase your odds by applying to lots of places when acceptance rates are around 5% most places. There's no point to applying someplace you'll be miserable. There were 2 or 3 schools I applied to that I probably should have realized were not right (profs not publishing, NO history of grants, etc.).

That's why I recommend not limiting yourself too much in terms of location. It can be tough to find 10 good schools that match your interests in a small area, but if you apply across the country its much easier.

I applied to 9 Ph.D., 1 PsyD., and 1 masters last year. I should have applied to more, but I think that there were some I should have screened out. For example, I knew my heart really wasn't set on a PsyD., but I did it anyways. Some schools in hindsight were not great personal fits, so I'll keep that in mind when I reapply in two years.

However, I am happy I applied to the masters program backup. I didn't want to go that route, but it ended up being my only option. I would try to find a masters program with good funding as well (yes, they do exist). I have a full ride + stipend at my masters program, and it looks like I'll be able to save up some cash for my second round of applications. I agree not to over-apply, but also plan for backups as well.

I really like Amy's list of factors to consider. I'm most likely applying to 8 schools (which is near the lower end of the scale here... huh.) I'd like to apply to more, but I have fairly specific research interests and geography will (unfortunately) play a role in my decision.

Applying to a lot of schools is good. In fact, the average number of applications per student is 13 (according to last years Insider's Guide). If your application is weak in any area (i.e. if you weren't a psych major, if you have little research experience, or if either your grades or GRE scores are less-than-stellar) and you feel that you NEED to get in this year, you should be applying to a LOT of programs (and make sure they aren't all high-ranked programs!) But don't apply places just to bump up the numbers. If you would rather work or take more classes for a year than attend a certain program, then save your application fee.

That's actually perhaps my primary reason for applying to fewer schools. I just don't feel comfortable asking for so many letters. I applied to 6 schools in undergrad, and it felt uncomfortable back then too. I know that they know it's tough to get into grad schools, etc, but even still, it's something I'd really rather not do. I wouldn't even ask my parents for that many LORs if it were acceptible to obtain LORs from one's mum and dad.

So it's not really the money - after all, the price of a plane ticket alone can dwarf the prices of five or six apps in one sweep - it's the "hey, I really want to go to a (insert type) psychology program next year, and to show you how focused I am on attending my dream school, and how much I value our relationship, dear letter writer, here are a dozen recommendations I need, and here are my dozen copy-pasted letters of intent and sincerity for each school! Have 'em in the mail by the end of the month, mmkay?"-factor that's keeping my target number low.

I think most psych profs are used to students asking for lots of letters, especially in the 10-12 range (like TheWesternSky said, the average number is 13). Definitely don't worry about looking unfocused - they know clinical psych programs are getting ridiculously competitive. The important thing is that you ask early (at least 2 months if you're asking for more than 8), and help as much as possible. Give them stamped, addressed envelopes, so all they have to do is sign and seal them. Fill out as much as possible of all required forms. I even completed the letterhead for each school and helped one professor stuff envelopes.

Finally, if there is someone who is really busy, consider asking them to personalize letters for your top 5 schools (so fill out all forms and use the name of the school in each letter), and send more generic letters to the rest. I also had a fifth recommender whom I only asked to write 2 letters.

Just be polite and conscientious, and you should be fine!

Well, I applied to four schools and got three interviews. My applications really were pretty good, and I was very naive. Now that I see the numer of things that have to go right in order to get in, I'd recommend people apply to at least 10

First off, professors are used to being asked to write 10 letters or more at a time per student. In fact, if one of your letter-writers doesn't ask you why are only applying to 5 (for example) schools, I'd be suprised. They will balk at more than about 15, based on my observations. Anything less than that is normal.

Give them PLENTY of time to get them done, be very organized in how you hand them over, give clear instructions as to how the letters are to be completed (e.g., some get signed across the seal and mailed by prof., some get returned to you, etc.). Ask one more person than you need in case someone flakes out on you.

Second, our graduate programs are so competitive, you have to lay your eggs in a lot of baskets. You can easily be sincere about applying to a program with whom you have similar research interests. You will surely have a top to bottom ranking of choices, but you have to put your heart and attention into each application as though it is your #1.

I applied to 11 schools, got 4 interviews, and 2 offers. If I had to do it over again (thank God I don't) I would focus heavily on matching, and not worry too much about location, ranking, etc.

...just my $.02

Listen to psychwanabe:)

If anything, professors are more likely to question your dedication to entering the field if you apply to very few places, thinking you are being picky about geography and aren't as genuinely interested in the field as someone willing to go anywhere to achieve what they want.

Of course, if you have a GOOD reason for only applying to a small number of schools and explain it, that is another matter entirely. No one even questioned the idea that I was applying to 13 schools, but I know friends who applied to 5 and had to explain to their letter writers why that was (very specific research interests was the answer, for the record, and it seemed to be a good one).

That's actually perhaps my primary reason for applying to fewer schools. I just don't feel comfortable asking for so many letters... I wouldn't even ask my parents for that many LORs if it were acceptible to obtain LORs from one's mum and dad.

All a professor has to do is type up your LOR and the difference between printing and signing 10 instead of 17 in nominal!!! If that's your only reservation, I'd highly recomend increasing the amount of school you apply to as much as possible and reasonable.​

apply to at least ten for better odds, but only ones you could actually see yourself attending and are genuinely interested in (I met some one who said he applied to twenty schools. TWENTY! Are you f'n kidding me!). Don't waste your time and money on schools simply to increase your odds of getting in.

I recently added up all my expenses incurred from applications last year and, between GREs, app fees, plane tickets, hotel rooms, rental cars and books I spent more than $2000.

7 schools. Unfortunately I'm geographically and logistically limited.

I recently added up all my expenses incurred from applications last year and, between GREs, app fees, plane tickets, hotel rooms, rental cars and books I spent more than $2000.

$2000 is a lot, but it is all relative. I consider all of my travel costs for pre-doc and internship part of the cost of the education, though admittedly I am a bit concerned about the cost of flying to all of my internship interviews! :eek:

For those of you reading who are applying for the '08 year.....PLEASE start considering travel, moving, and miscellaneous costs associated with grad schools....because they will sneak up on you! Make a budget!

I was lucky enough to have a slush fund of money I put aside from a buy-out package, but when I finally got around to making a budget for myself, it really put things in perspective. I reviewed my previous 'non-budget budget' and pretty much fainted and cursed myself all at the same time because I could have saved a lot more money towards grad school if I started a bit earlier ($7k+ on golfing that year, $6k+ on going out, $4k on clothes, $8k on traveling.....wait, WHY am I doing grad school again?!!) Now I'm down to a sleek grad school budget of B1G1 free deals, free food from university events, and used books. :laugh:

-t

my first time around, i applied to 12 schools straight out of undergrad, and got one interview. i don't want to risk it, so i'm thinking about applying to 20 schools- a range of schools that have fewer applicants to the usual 350 applicants. all the schools have professors that i am very interested in. right now, i have an even larger list of schools that i will narrow down once i find out what POI's are accepting/aren't accepting students.

people have said to narrow it down to 12-14 schools, but i'm not sure why, if all the schools are a good fit. i really want to leave it all out there, because i don't want to have to apply again. i have two years of work experience, i'm ready to go back to school!

am i crazy to apply to 20?

people have said to narrow it down to 12-14 schools, but i'm not sure why, if all the schools are a good fit. i really want to leave it all out there, because i don't want to have to apply again. i have two years of work experience, i'm ready to go back to school!

am i crazy to apply to 20?

I think the reasoning behind that is risking the quality of your applications because of the quantity of schools you want to apply. If you can ensure that you can put together quality applications for that many schools, and the programs are a good fit for what you are looking to do, then by all means....apply to 20 schools.

There are certain areas of research that are much more widely explored, so you may find more 'fit' opportunities compared to a very niche area that may only have a handful of people working/researching in that area.

-t

I'm a non-trad applicant (30, married, non-psych major).

My husband and I made a list of schools to apply to. They're all in cities where he thinks he can find a job.

I have 36 clinical and 9 counseling on the list (PhD only).

How many schools should I apply to? My stats are as follows:

undergrad GPA (Ivy League): 3.6 non-psych major
Law degree
taking psych pre-reqs at community college
GRE: yet to be taken
RA psych job
one psych publication coming up

I'm feeling really overwhelmed by the application process because I've been out of school for 8 years and I don't have an advisor to help me with all this. The community college where I'm taking my psych pre-reqs isn't any help. I'm not sure if I'm a competitive applicant or not, and am not sure how many schools I should apply to. How can I find an advisor to help me? What did other non-trads do?

My career interest is being a practitioner. But I do love research (just not teaching. I have no interest in teaching).

Thanks!

this brings up a question i have, can you do you research and not teach?

this brings up a question i have, can you do you research and not teach?

Do you mean as a grad student or once out in the working world?

The answer to both is yes, its possible. In order for it to work as a grad student you pretty much have to be in a well-funded lab (i.e. lots of grants). Then in your later years you can fund yourself if you get a grant of your own.

Once you graduate, there are research-only jobs as well. They are of course, just like anything else in this field, competitive. Some schools have research-track professors (which may or may not be tenured). Pay is widely variable. Sometimes the pay is not much more than what a post-doc earns, sometimes it can be extremely high. Usually it will be supplemented based on how much grant money you can pull in.

There's other opportunities for research-only positions. There are plenty of research facilities and major hospitals that have research scientist positions, etc.