how many schools are you planning to apply this coming application cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how many schools are you planning to apply this coming application cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

somebody, please make it stop!

do a search there have been like 10 of these threads in the past couple weeks

Members don't see this ad :)
Be careful applying to too many schools. Dental schools will think you are not serious about their school and will pass you up for an interview.

What makes you say that? Can dental schools even know how many schools you've applied to?

Give me a break! Even if schools can see how many other schools you're applying to, why would anyone with a grain of sense throw their money away by choosing not to apply to an adequate number of schools? We all know that the magic number for the "average" (this word is used loosely when considering the high caliber of most pre-dent applicants) applicant hovers between 10-15 schools when statistics of 1st-cycle acceptance are kept in mind. So, if I had to weigh the risk of spending a few thousand to turn in a great application to 15 schools and increasing my chance of being accepted somewhere against spending less and turning in an application to a meager number of schools because I was afraid schools would frown upon a large list of total schools, and then NOT getting in anywhere and then REAPPLYING the next year to more schools, the most favorable outcome would be the former situation. There's just no logical way that the number of schools to which you apply can stand in the way of the rest of your application. Just my .02.

And I can't help but think that those who say "don't apply to too many schools, now!" really just want to increase their own chances of getting into school X, although is is highly unlikely this tactic will work.

And I can't help but think that those who say "don't apply to too many schools, now!" really just want to increase their own chances of getting into school X, although is is highly unlikely this tactic will work.

:laugh: That's pretty cynical, man...

I was asked what schools I applied to last year during my Buffalo interview, so schools can find out if they want that way. (I'm really not sure about how AADSAS works, and if they can find out that way.) But I'm mostly looking at the kind of interview response I'm going to get from the 15 schools, so if the issue ever comes up, I'll just tell them honestly what I think of their school. Chances are if I'm agreeing to interview, I'm very interested.

:confused: 0. What are my chances?

I applied to 15-20 schools this past cycle, and yes it came up during interviews; but none of my interviewers ever said anything like "wow that's a lot of schools" and no one looked down on me for it either. It just made me look like I was determined to be a dentist and wanted to keep my options open.
And fyi, I got into every school I interviewed at -- so applying to a lot of schools will definitely not hurt your chances (unless maybe you apply to all 56 of them).

8 schools cost about 1000 bucks (or so)
16 schools cost 1300

Do the math, it is worth it to spend 300 more for 2X the amount of schools. When gambling...go with the odds.