how many schools did you apply/are you applying to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuro1617

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's different for everyone considering stats and financial situations, but I'm just looking to get an average number?

Members don't see this ad.

Only 2 for me...both in-state...one that I wanted to go to and one backup.

I submitted AACOMAS today to 6 DO schools. I'm going to do a lot more school researching between now and 6/4 but I'll apply to about 7 or 8 MDs. I guess my main criteria were location / hospitals / board pass rates / match rates and locations / student life and resources.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know it's different for everyone considering stats and financial situations, but I'm just looking to get an average number?

I applied to 9 originally, and added 2 last minute. The average is 10-11 schools per person.

I had REALLY good stats, so I applied to my state school, 5 top ten schools, two out-of-state state schools (one highly ranked), 2 top 30 schools, and 1 mid-range school.

All together, MCAT (no class) through interview travel (9 interviews, none in the same city), it's cost me about $3K (not counting time off work).

I think I did 18...yeah. In hind sight, I'm not really sure why I applied to some of those schools, haha..

The average is 10-11 schools per person.

eh?! Average at my school is 18-20 med schools according to the pre-med advisors here. I wouldn't expect it to be too different nationwide...

That's strange.

From Texas--Applied to 6 schools, got interviews to all, but only accepted 4 interviews, ranked 4 schools, got in to top school.

But I'm already into a school through a non-binding early application program with my undergrad school. I'd definitely be applying to more if I didn't already have that one as a backup.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll apply to 15-20, depending on how much money I have in a few weeks. ;) No more credit cards for me!

As a side note, my pre-med advisor told me point blank to apply to no more than 15 schools.

And although I'm from Virginia I can't bring myself to apply to EVMS because I just really dislike Norfolk...

From Texas--Applied to 6 schools, got interviews to all, but only accepted 4 interviews, ranked 4 schools, got in to top school.

Also applying to six schools here in TX, presumably the same six MD programs as Samus.

MCAT retake on Friday, so don't let my marginal BS score fool you.

20 then 15 then who knows

I applied to 9 originally, and added 2 last minute. The average is 10-11 schools per person.

I had REALLY good stats, so I applied to my state school, 5 top ten schools, two out-of-state state schools (one highly ranked), 2 top 30 schools, and 1 mid-range school.

All together, MCAT (no class) through interview travel (9 interviews, none in the same city), it's cost me about $3K (not counting time off work).

Yep me too... added jhu and yale last minute

eh?! Average at my school is 18-20 med schools according to the pre-med advisors here. I wouldn't expect it to be too different nationwide...

That's strange.

My theory on that is people from competitive undergrads are looking to apply to competitive med schools, so they apply to way more. I remember when we were in high school, people shooting for competitive colleges were more likely to apply to like 15 instead of then normal 4-8. Personally, I am probably going to apply to 20, maybe a little more than that.

Yeah, yeah, I know its more complicated than CA schools just being good. For its population size (12% of the US), CA should have more schools than it does, which leads to it being super competitive for the few spots that actually exist. But still, I don't think anyone would say that any of the CA schools (barring perhaps Loma Linda) are *bad,* given that all of them are ranked in the top 50. (and yeah, I know the rankings are BS, but what else can we use?)

In the end, I, like many other CA residents, would kill to have a spot in my home state, but realize that applying broadly is a necessity given that we have some of the most competitive public schools in the nation. If only I lived in Texas.

Yeah, yeah, I know its more complicated than CA schools just being good. For its population size (12% of the US), CA should have more schools than it does, which leads to it being super competitive for the few spots that actually exist. But still, I don't think anyone would say that any of the CA schools (barring perhaps Loma Linda) are *bad,* given that all of them are ranked in the top 50. (and yeah, I know the rankings are BS, but what else can we use?)

In the end, I, like many other CA residents, would kill to have a spot in my home state, but realize that applying broadly is a necessity given that we have some of the most competitive public schools in the nation. If only I lived in Texas.
doesnt loma linda consistently out perform all the rest of the cali schools on some clinical test??

70-80 schools. I really really reallllllllllllllly want to start medschool already. Plus I am already in debt, so I might as well go out in style.:D

Oh BTW, Texas schools, you won't get any share because you are too discriminative against OOS applicants.

70-80 schools. I really really reallllllllllllllly want to start medschool already. Plus I am already in debt, so I might as well go out in style.:D

Oh BTW, Texas schools, you won't get any share because you are too discriminative against OOS applicants.
HOLY SMOKES!!!

I would seriously reconsider this...probably alot of the schools on your list are just as discriminatory against OOSers and texas schools, and do you really haev enough time and motivation to complete 80 secondaries that each probably have 1 or 2 or more essays?...

I did 35 but I am both from cali and neurotic. Don't be me.

doesnt loma linda consistently out perform all the rest of the cali schools on some clinical test??

I have never heard that before, but even were it true I'm not going to apply to Loma Linda. I suffered through a religious high school and could never see myself going to a school that religious.

What's the correlation between going to a university in California and having to apply to so much schools? Are undergrads studying at a specific state have to stay in state to study medicine? Or is it just harder to get into a out of state med school? Can somebody please clarify this for me?

Sorry guys, but I'm a bit new here, thanks

HOLY SMOKES!!!

I would seriously reconsider this...probably alot of the schools on your list are just as discriminatory against OOSers and texas schools, and do you really haev enough time and motivation to complete 80 secondaries that each probably have 1 or 2 or more essays?...
yeah I know it's a crazy number, but I think it will be worth it in the end. I will probably do 40-50 secondaries. I figure that about 15 schools will screen me before secondary and 15 other schools with just ridiculous amount of weird questions. Well wish me luck:D

What's the correlation between going to a university in California and having to apply to so much schools? Are undergrads studying at a specific state have to stay in state to study medicine? Or is it just harder to get into a out of state med school? Can somebody please clarify this for me?

Sorry guys, but I'm a bit new here, thanks

Usually, the easiest schools for an applicant to get in to are the ones that are publically funded by his/her state. This is because the pool of applicants is narrowed by the schools focus on only in-state applicants. Because most people have these state schools as "safeties", they feel more confident and don't apply to as many schools. Students from states without medical schools often can get in-state status at a neighboring state.

CA on the other hand, DOES have multiple state-funded schools. Unfortunately, because of a variety of factors (CA having a huge population, and arguably being a very desirable place to live), all of the UC schools are extraordinarily hard to get in to (for public schools). They're very good schools, but because they're difficult to get in to, many CA applicants apply broadly just in case. This may become different in three or four years when UCR and UCM open their medical schools, but hopefully by that time I'll be close to being done with med school, not just applying...

11 my first time through, although I found that there were a lot of problems that arose from this number that were out of my control (schools didn't send out LORs, transcripts, etc. after multiple emails/in-person visits).

This year I didn't figure I had too much of a shot, and I was already running out of money, so I applied to two. 1 acceptance and 1 rejection, but it's the former that counts in the end.

Usually, the easiest schools for an applicant to get in to are the ones that are publically funded by his/her state. This is because the pool of applicants is narrowed by the schools focus on only in-state applicants. Because most people have these state schools as "safeties", they feel more confident and don't apply to as many schools. Students from states without medical schools often can get in-state status at a neighboring state.

CA on the other hand, DOES have multiple state-funded schools. Unfortunately, because of a variety of factors (CA having a huge population, and arguably being a very desirable place to live), all of the UC schools are extraordinarily hard to get in to (for public schools). They're very good schools, but because they're difficult to get in to, many CA applicants apply broadly just in case. This may become different in three or four years when UCR and UCM open their medical schools, but hopefully by that time I'll be close to being done with med school, not just applying...
No kidding. If I were a resident at states like Texas, Kansas, Michigan, Ohio, or any other states I would have been in medschool already. It's a curse to be CA resident, I tell ya.

I'm looking at around 23 potential schools right now. Probably try to reduce the number to under 20 as I start looking more in depth into some of these schools.

I'll apply to 15-20, depending on how much money I have in a few weeks. ;) No more credit cards for me!

As a side note, my pre-med advisor told me point blank to apply to no more than 15 schools.

And although I'm from Virginia I can't bring myself to apply to EVMS because I just really dislike Norfolk...

I say, if you've got the money, and have 20 schools you want to apply to, ignore your advisor. One of my biggest regrets was listening to a friend in med school that insisted I needed to cut my list down, and convinced me that I wouldn't have a shot in hell at my dream school, Mayo. In a moment of insecurity and stupidity, I removed Mayo when I applied to schools in June, and then came to my senses in the end of September. I got the screened secondary, an interview, and even on the waitlist. But part of me wonders if I'd applied in June whether things might have been different (i.e., better). They are rolling and only have 42 spots.... Moral of the story is - if you've got the dough, you probably won't ever regret spending it on another school's application if it's one you're really interested in attending. And if you're worried about it being too much work, just start pre-writing the secondaries now using SDN's secondary essay thread from last year. That's what I did, and it made turn around about one day, and pretty painless.

As for schools of less interest (like your EVMS), I would say just don't apply to them if you have limited funds and you otherwise have a broad range/number of schools and a solid application. The three schools I debated removing because I was less interested in attending them (RFU, Drexel and EVMS) were all ones that I ended up withdrawing from anyway. In hindsight, for solid applicants who apply early to a broad range of schools, it really becomes a matter of luck, fit and state school love. If you're not a CA resident and you apply to schools within your state, 15-25 should suit you fine.

:luck:

That's strange.

Can't recall the source, but I think the national average is around 14 schools per applicant. I agree that 10-11 sounds low...

I finished secondaries at 24 schools. I think that was overkill, but I had heard too many horror stories about people who applied to a million schools and still didn't get in.

Yes Loma Linda does outperform all the Cali schools on the Clinical exams and from what I've heard, it drives the UC's insane :laugh: In terms of clinical experience, Loma Linda is top notch, I have yet to meet a surgeon who doesnt rave about the program and their residency programs...so I dont think anyone would classify it as a "bad" school.

I finished secondaries at 24 schools. I think that was overkill, but I had heard too many horror stories about people who applied to a million schools and still didn't get in.
You take that back. I hate you.

I have 21 right now. It's probably going to change again though. Since I'm applying before the MCAT, I'll probably take whatever my practice score is around June 4th and choose my reach/lower tier schools that way.

I have about 25 now... my GPA turned out lower than I thought and I got nervous and added a bunch, and not having taken my MCAT yet makes me even more nervous.. But I put them all in AMCAS and the total was 1,000+ :eek:
I would like to do about 15, but I don't know if with my scores that is a safe bet.. I don't want to end up regretting it when I have to spend the money all over again.

I have 42 MD in consideration currently to apply to, I am going to try to limit it to 30 max. I am going to apply to 5-7 DO's as well. I really don't want to have to wait another cycle, I am already 26. =P

I say, if you've got the money, and have 20 schools you want to apply to, ignore your advisor. One of my biggest regrets was listening to a friend in med school that insisted I needed to cut my list down, and convinced me that I wouldn't have a shot in hell at my dream school, Mayo. In a moment of insecurity and stupidity, I removed Mayo when I applied to schools in June, and then came to my senses in the end of September. I got the screened secondary, an interview, and even on the waitlist. But part of me wonders if I'd applied in June whether things might have been different (i.e., better). They are rolling and only have 42 spots.... Moral of the story is - if you've got the dough, you probably won't ever regret spending it on another school's application if it's one you're really interested in attending. And if you're worried about it being too much work, just start pre-writing the secondaries now using SDN's secondary essay thread from last year. That's what I did, and it made turn around about one day, and pretty painless.

As for schools of less interest (like your EVMS), I would say just don't apply to them if you have limited funds and you otherwise have a broad range/number of schools and a solid application. The three schools I debated removing because I was less interested in attending them (RFU, Drexel and EVMS) were all ones that I ended up withdrawing from anyway. In hindsight, for solid applicants who apply early to a broad range of schools, it really becomes a matter of luck, fit and state school love. If you're not a CA resident and you apply to schools within your state, 15-25 should suit you fine.

:luck:

That's excellent advice. I will definitely consider it when making my final decisions. I've got to go back through to my preliminary list and eliminate the schools that aren't too friendly to out-of-state applicants.

I'll probably be applying to 15 - 21 schools. :)