How many schools did you guys apply for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cisplatin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So I'm ready to apply for the 2012 year (Yeah I'm slow ^_^) and I have my letters, PCAT, PharmCas, and next semester's classes picked out. Basically I've done the busy work and now it's down to decided which schools to apply for with the Dec 1st and later deadlines. Anyhow, I was wondering how many schools have you guys applied for, gotten interviews from, and accepted? If you don't mind, also post your GPA and PCAT as well as any other relevant factors.

I have a 3.69 overall GPA and 3.67 Science GPA with a 92 percentile PCAT and 3.0 and 3.5 Writing scores. Minimal pharmacy experience aside from the shadowing. I'm still deciding between 3 to 4 schools.

Thanks in advance guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Right now I've only applied to my top choice school and I have an interview with that school on the 14th. If I am not admitted or put on a waiting list I will apply to other schools. I only did this to save money on application fees, I would encourage you to apply to many schools as early as you can.

23, just to ensure that I make it in this round.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP: Cast your net wide.

I applied to 8 schools, was accepted to a program in my top five and have since withdrawn my applications from the schools lower in my personal ranking.

Hi everyone!

So I'm ready to apply for the 2012 year (Yeah I'm slow ^_^) and I have my letters, PCAT, PharmCas, and next semester's classes picked out. Basically I've done the busy work and now it's down to decided which schools to apply for with the Dec 1st and later deadlines. Anyhow, I was wondering how many schools have you guys applied for, gotten interviews from, and accepted? If you don't mind, also post your GPA and PCAT as well as any other relevant factors.

I have a 3.69 overall GPA and 3.67 Science GPA with a 92 percentile PCAT and 3.0 and 3.5 Writing scores. Minimal pharmacy experience aside from the shadowing. I'm still deciding between 3 to 4 schools.

Thanks in advance guys!

I applied to 3 schools with a 4.0 GPA and 86 PCAT, but zero pharmacy experience (but lots of undergrad research). I applied to three schools, and have done two interviews and gotten into both (in state). Don't stress about the pharmacy experience especially if you have other/different extracurriculars.

I applied to one school, got one interview, and accepted to one school. the one I wanted. Pharmcas GPA 3.3 PCAT 77. No pharm experience. 43yrs old. Boo-yah!:D

I applied to 7, but never filled out the supplemental app for one of them. I got invited to 4 interviews so far, actually went to 2 of them, and got into both schools.

I applied to three schools and got in to all three (waitlisted at one... but got in!). 3.5 GPA, BA in biochem, 89% PCAT, tons of leadership, volunteering and ECs, good LORs, minimal research, and very little pharm experience. If you don't have a lot of pharmacy experience, you just need to be able to show that you have some knowledge of the field and what it entails as a career. I was so nervous at the (perceived) high stakes at the interview at my top choice school and that affected my interview, so I think that's what got me waitlisted at the one school.

In general, the average of what I've heard of people applying to is 2-6 schools.

2 schools.

I was offered interviews at both in the same week, which involved extensive traveling. After my interview at my top-choice school, I felt very confident I would get in, so I withdrew my application for my second-choice school without attending the interview. Luckily, I gambled correctly and was offered a spot in my school of choice!

I wouldn't recommend this as a plan unless you're really confident or you really only want to go to one school, come hell or high water.

OP here,

So, after some very extensive research and a good deal of "To hell with this, I'm done looking", I've selected 5 schools: CU Denver, Univ of Wyoming, Univ of west Virginia, Mercer, and Univ of Kansas. Let's hope I get a couple of interviews and hopefully a spot :))

Anyways, wish me luck. I'm sure I'll be getting very good sleep for the next couple of months lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend applying to a few schools with lower GPA and PCAT averages just as backups. But then again, your stats are great so you probably won't need to worry too much about not getting to any of those schools.

Anyways, wish me luck. I'm sure I'll be getting very good sleep for the next couple of months lol

Ha! Good luck. :luck: You've got a solid app.

I applied to 1 school, but I made peace with the idea that I'd have to wait a year to get in if I didn't get into my school of choice. 3.91c/3.69s. Applied early - first round of interviews - accepted same day as the interview. MWU-CPG. :cool:

I applied to one school, got one interview, and accepted to one school. the one I wanted. Pharmcas GPA 3.3 PCAT 77. No pharm experience. 43yrs old. Boo-yah!:D

CONGRATS! I am an, ummmm.... non-traditional student too. Applied to two schools and I'm waiting to hear back. Geographically, I'm locked in. But I DO love my husband and kiddos! lol.

I applied to 1 and got into 1

Physiology is my only C bio class and I'm applying this june. Should I retake physio to raise gpa and to look good for admissions or am I fine? I do have a low gpa of 2.6 and still have other reqs to fulfill like anatomy, psych, speech, microeconmics, last quarter of physics. Pharm schools keep saying how C is the minimum requirement, so I should be good but I'm afraid they might ask at interview.

Last edited:
Physiology is my only C bio class and I'm applying this june. Should I retake physio to raise gpa and to look good for admissions or am I fine? I do have a low gpa of 2.6 and still have other reqs to fulfill like anatomy, psych, speech, microeconmics, last quarter of physics. Pharm schools keep saying how C is the minimum requirement, so I should be good but I'm afraid they might ask at interview.

2.6 seems low for any pharm schools out there. I would go so far as to say that without at least a 3.0 in your sciences, a very high PCAT, and an obscene amount of pharmacy experience, your chances will be very slim. I wouldn't take physio just yet though. Finish your other pre-reqs first and see where your scores are at.

With just this information, it's hard to tell. How about you post in WAMC? Something to consider is how much retaking Physio would up your GPA - PharmCAS considers both grades. You may be better off taking a higher level class, if your only concern is proving that Physio isn't an issue.

I applied to 7 schools with my top choices be Campbell and two schools in tennessess and I will be out of state in both cases. But I made a 53 on my pcat with 2.0 on writing and 2.7 average. My overall GPA is 3.82 and it looks like my sciences will be around 3.65 depending on Pharmcas. Got few ECS and I just started working in the Pharmacy at my job. I hoping to get somewhere. I really do not want to retake the PCAT again but....
Lets cross fingers

I applied to 11, which was waaaay to many. I have pretty bad stats so I def wanted to get in somewhere...anywhere. But it turned out I got interviews everywhere I applied besides 4 schools, 2 of which I never sent in the supplemental. I have only gone to 4 interviews so far and already have an acceptance.

I applied to 11, which was waaaay to many. I have pretty bad stats so I def wanted to get in somewhere...anywhere. But it turned out I got interviews everywhere I applied besides 4 schools, 2 of which I never sent in the supplemental. I have only gone to 4 interviews so far and already have an acceptance.

CONGRATS!!! You are a role model for others who worry about their stats. Out of curiosity, what, if anything, do you think made up for your stats?

i'm also curious as to what you define as "bad stats"

I applied to like 15 schools which is a crazy large number lol. I got accepted instate (CA) so I'm going here.

Last edited:
I applied to 7 schools with my top choices be Campbell and two schools in tennessess and I will be out of state in both cases. But I made a 53 on my pcat with 2.0 on writing and 2.7 average. My overall GPA is 3.82 and it looks like my sciences will be around 3.65 depending on Pharmcas. Got few ECS and I just started working in the Pharmacy at my job. I hoping to get somewhere. I really do not want to retake the PCAT again but....
Lets cross fingers

If you have not received any interviews, then you should retake the January PCAT. There are only a few schools accepting this PCAT date. My GPA is above 3.7. I have 3 awards for academic achievement. My first PCAT was 52. I applied early (08/11). I had not received any interviews until they received my second PCAT which was above 60.

Applied to 10 schools. Heard back from 1 and the rest was history.

CONGRATS!!! You are a role model for others who worry about their stats. Out of curiosity, what, if anything, do you think made up for your stats?

Thanks! And I'm not really sure what stood out. I think my personal statement was pretty good. I had letters of rec from two pharmacists and a professor that I did not know to well. My EC were nothing outrageous. I applied EARLY (July) which is def why I think I had such good luck.

i'm also curious as to what you define as "bad stats"

cGPA 2.9 and PCAT 64 ...pretty horrible if you ask me. But if you really want it, it'll happen! I never believed people when they said that to me but I guess its true you just have to want it bad enough!

I applied to one school, got one interview, and accepted to one school. the one I wanted.

I applied to 1 and got into 1

I don't recommend this to anyone.

But it's also what I did. :smuggrin:

I was limited by family to where I could apply, and there was a school not that far away from us, so that's who I chose. If you can apply to multiple schools, I recommend it. It's always better to have choices. :)

5 schools, 5 interviews, 4 admissions, 1 wait-list.

I chose to apply to established schools as well, I had a few chances to "get in" to a new school, but didn't want to go that route.

My stats are in my sig to explain why I went that route. Well that and I was always taught never to put all of your eggs in one basket unless you want scrambled eggs.

cGPA 2.9 and PCAT 64 ...pretty horrible if you ask me. But if you really want it, it'll happen! I never believed people when they said that to me but I guess its true you just have to want it bad enough!

I was just wondering what schools you applied to. Not specifically where you applied, but what kind of schools. Did you apply to your top choices or more "safety" schools? I am kind of in the same boat in terms of GPA and I'm debating what schools I should apply to this year.