OCPreMed

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2006
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
Alright, I want a consensus, and rationale.... How many schools, is it perposterous to apply to? People throw around numbers, but why?? Whats wrong with applying to 60 schools if financially you can do it? Realistically, if one would get 90% of those 60 schools to send you secondaries... 54 secondaries would be quite.. umm.. pre med term.. ARDUOUS?

Yeah, I'm asking this because I think I applied to WAY too many scools.. lets say 40+, due to A: Not counting, and B: It was 1:30 AM when I was picking... I had no clue I applied to THAT many when I submitted, the next day when I went to check, it was like a SN2 backside attack I didn't see coming...

yeah.. lemme know your thoughts..

VPDcurt

2K Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
OCPreMed said:
People throw around numbers, but why?? Whats wrong with applying to 60 schools if financially you can do it?
You said it. One of the main reasons that people apply to fewer schools is finances. The bottom line? Don't worry about the number - just apply to as many as you can (that you have a shot in hell at) and don't worry about what everyone else might be doing.

-Lexi-

The high cost of living
10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2006
New Hampshire
Status
Pre-Medical
Think of all the chances you'll have! :)

About the Ads

chaeymaey

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 25, 2003
TX
prettydoc.blogspot.com
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I can't believe you said SN2 backside attack.

DoctorPardi

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2005
Alabama
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think the only thing I worry about is making sure you apply to schools that you have a chance at. I don't even mean schools like Harvard because they are too selective. I mean places that require 2 semesters of cal and you haven't taken cal I. Another example is applying to places like University of Missippi, if you aren't from Mississippi you will not get in.

As long as you applied to schools that accept OOSers regularly and made sure you met their other requirements, then apply away. That's all you, I just hate to see people waste hundreds of dollars on schools that simply will not accept them.

kovalchuk

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
DoctorPardi said:
I think the only thing I worry about is making sure you apply to schools that you have a chance at. I don't even mean schools like Harvard because they are too selective. I mean places that require 2 semesters of cal and you haven't taken cal I. Another example is applying to places like University of Missippi, if you aren't from Mississippi you will not get in.

As long as you applied to schools that accept OOSers regularly and made sure you met their other requirements, then apply away. That's all you, I just hate to see people waste hundreds of dollars on schools that simply will not accept them.
Excellent points. I've narrowed down the 120 or so schools on excel, taking into account OOS invites, matriculants, and I don't see how someone could apply to over 50 schools and have legit chances at all of them. It tops off at about 40, I'd say, and then you're just adding schools that you have virtually no chance at because of residency. Just too many public schools.

sentrosi

INTARWEB USER
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2004
TEH INTARWEB
Status
Medical Student
I applied to 25 or so. If you're still in school or have other stuff, it'll suck up a significant amount of your extra time. I don't really think there is too high a number as long as you are applying to each school for a reason and can afford it.

My best advice is to be as organized as you possibly can about it. Keeping trakc of that many schools is a bit of a logistics problem.

MaKaye55

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
This is my rationale. I would think one would apply to schools that one is interested in and seriously would consider going to if accepted and within the selected list of schools there should be a variety (i.e. "safe", "reach", etc.).Personally I'm applying to about 10 schools. It has nothing to do with arrogance or what have you. I just know the area that I would like to go to school and I focus my preparation for that scope and beyond (meaning I take all the "suggested" courses, which in my opinion aren't "suggestions" at all but rather a message of "If you want any chance take this course") by doing an exorbitant amount of research oh each individual school. It makes no sense to me to apply to 40+ schools if I have no intentions of going there but only do it for the sake of having a chance. I mean come on! I know the application process is a ****ty one and I'm aware of the odds against a person but if one goes about it in a sensible way, one should triump at the end. :)

AznDoc

Ninja of the Nasty
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Mystic, Connecticut
Status
i guess if you have the cash, then you can apply to as many schools as you want. but realistically...if you're not competitive at 25 then you probably aren't going to be competitive at 50. i ended applying to 25, so we'll see what happens. cheers.

oh and another thing...is that avatar of chaeymaey a real life pic of her? because if it is...kumbya!

joanofarc0907

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
OCPreMed said:
Alright, I want a consensus, and rationale.... How many schools, is it perposterous to apply to? People throw around numbers, but why?? Whats wrong with applying to 60 schools if financially you can do it? Realistically, if one would get 90% of those 60 schools to send you secondaries... 54 secondaries would be quite.. umm.. pre med term.. ARDUOUS?

Yeah, I'm asking this because I think I applied to WAY too many scools.. lets say 40+, due to A: Not counting, and B: It was 1:30 AM when I was picking... I had no clue I applied to THAT many when I submitted, the next day when I went to check, it was like a SN2 backside attack I didn't see coming...

yeah.. lemme know your thoughts..
i love your use of orgo in this post....oh SN2 backside attacks :)

Zoom-Zoom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2005
California
Status
Medical Student
joanofarc0907 said:
i love your use of orgo in this post....oh SN2 backside attacks :)
Haha, in orgo terms, 50 schools will have a lot more angle strain than, say, 25, not to mention all the hindrance you'll have with everything else in your life! On the other hand, with all things being equal, 50 schools will give you twice the chance of acceptance as 25, so I disagree a little with AznDoc. My methodology is to apply to as many as possible without hurting your individual chances at any of them. After a certain amount you are garanteed to not put in the time and effort on you secondaries or interviews that you would have if you had been a little more selective, so it's just about finding a balance, which includes the financial aspect as well.

About the Ads

chaeymaey

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 25, 2003
TX
prettydoc.blogspot.com
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Ah! Stop with the O Chem! Bad memories...

OP
OCPreMed

OCPreMed

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2006
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
alright, I am going to be HONEST... I have no clue about 30-40% of the schools I applied to... I'll post my mdapp up, I just feel like an idiot because of all the schools I have... maybe I'll leave some out.... or make 2 profiles??? hmmm.. I DUNNNO? but yeah, when I post it up... some help on this matter would be nice...

I DOOOOO know one thing... before I got on this site, I was looking forward to the APP process because I have been waiting ever so gently for 4 years to do this, but now after reading the countless but yet epic posts of "OMGOSH i know this guy, and like seriously, he had a 4.0 and a 40 and he got rejected at every medical school in the world, even ROSS", it begins to become... welll.. lemme elaborate with this analogy...

I USED to think the app process would smell of desire, now it smells like a used diaper... filled with... Indian food..

sorry if i'm a lil off right now, i think i got this test in 3 weeks; its kinda big deal... its called the mcat; lemme tell you, i hear its rough..

Zoom-Zoom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2005
California
Status
Medical Student
You have 4 of the 5 required symptoms to diagnose you as having post-mdapps-discovery depression. The only cure is time, I'm afraid. Don't trip.

As for the schools, I would recommend buying the online USNews guide and going through the average stats and out-of-state acceptance rates of your schools, it will help you narrow the list down a bit as there are probably a few that, for example, don't accept any out of staters but will gladly accept your application fee. If you are prone to nerdy statistical analysis you can then easily make an excel sheet that will put all your schools in perspective.

Ema

Biti ili ne biti?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
....filled with indian food???? Anyway, I think its good you applied to many schools, if you can afford go for it, the chances are higher!!

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
Be a rebel and apply to 1 school. (Yes I know people that did....I really hope they get denied so I can laugh at them)

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status
Medical Student
dont forget the interview flights and hotel bookings (if you stay for more then a day which is always suggested- who wants to hop off a flight and go right to an interview). thats honestly probably where the bulk of the costs come in.

Svidrillion

10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
F-town
Status
There has been much wisdom dispensed in this thread. Let me reiterate some already intimated by presenting my personal view:

Factors that need to be considered:

1) Money--includes AMCAS, Secondaries, and interviews/travel.
2) Time--secondaries are time consuming (even though you can often cannibalize from already submitted ones). Plus, what about interviews?

Bottom line is, only apply to schools you would attend. The goal is to get in to one. You should be able to pick a spread of no more than 25 that you are competitive for and that you like. More than that, and you either don't have the stats/background so more schools ain't gonna help or you will end up with way too many interviews that you'll have to end up declining.

lexrageorge

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2002
Visit site
Status
Here's an idea:

Start with the list of all the schools to which you applied. Break them down into 3 categories.

Category 1 are the 10 or 15 schools you would be ecstatic to attend. If you got accepted to one of these, you would likely withdraw most of your other applications. Do these secondaries first, and take the time to do a good job on them.

Category 2 are the 10 or 15 back-ups to those in Category 1. If none of your top choices work out, you would still attend these schools, and would be happy doing so. Do these next.

Category 3 are those that you are not really sure why you applied to. Do these last if you have time.

Finally, remember it is far better (and cheaper) to decline interviews, decline acceptances, and withdraw applications than it is to get shut out of the process and have to reapply a year later.

durfen

I see plans within plans
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Kaitain
Status
Resident [Any Field]
lexrageorge said:
Here's an idea:

Start with the list of all the schools to which you applied. Break them down into 3 categories.

Category 1 are the 10 or 15 schools you would be ecstatic to attend. If you got accepted to one of these, you would likely withdraw most of your other applications. Do these secondaries first, and take the time to do a good job on them.

Category 2 are the 10 or 15 back-ups to those in Category 1. If none of your top choices work out, you would still attend these schools, and would be happy doing so. Do these next.

Category 3 are those that you are not really sure why you applied to. Do these last if you have time.

Finally, remember it is far better (and cheaper) to decline interviews, decline acceptances, and withdraw applications than it is to get shut out of the process and have to reapply a year later.
You know this thread reminds me of a time not too long ago when most of us were in junior year high school, having just taken the SATs, figuring out which schools to apply to and how many.
I ended up applying to just 7, bit of a gamble, but it paid off and I didn't have time to fill out all the apps.
Now 17 for me, and I have even less time. omg.
If I have to go through one more app process....oh yeah the match.

About the Ads