Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

How many schools is TOO Many

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by DrTacoElf, Apr 23, 2004.

1. DrTacoElf

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey guys i have a list of 7 dental schools i could see myself at.

2 are absolutely set in stone for applying to [MCG, VCU]. I interviewed at both of these medical schools so thats my basis. I live in GA, went to school in VA. These represent my two best chances IMO. However I'm scared to leave it just at these two. Although they are my top choices.

The other 5 are up in the air
    UAB
    WVU
    UMKC
    UT
    LSU

I need some advice.

My gut feel tells me 4 max.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Calculus1

Calculus1 G.V. Black Fan
    7+ Year Member

Well, I'd call the schools and find out who let's the most out of staters in. I'd also look at some private schools, because they won't care where you come from. Just don't waste your money/time on schools that are really stingy with spots for non-residents. 5 sounds like a good solid #.

4. DrTacoElf

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Man i just read somethign and i'm all mixed up now. Clearly out of state schools which are public are very hard to get into. But i'm not sure about privates either the applicant pools are SO large?

5. JRogoff

JRogoff Resident Palatal Phallacy
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
  6. DrTacoElf

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Georgia = residency
    Virginia = state i went to school in (undergrad)

7. Calculus1

Calculus1 G.V. Black Fan
    7+ Year Member

Right, but I would imagine that it's easier to get into a private school than an out of state school public school. I know a guy that had a 20 AA that didn't get into Baylor(which is publicly funded now) from out of state. His stats could have gotten him into a private school no problem.

8. JRogoff

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Sorry, just read above that you live in Georida. Anways, if you don't have killer stats, do't waste you time applying to UAB, UT, and LSU. I would add privates like NYU, Tufts, Boston, and Nova to your list.

9. DrTacoElf

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    No dat stats yet, but undergrad GPA was 3.8 (Mary Washington College)

10. Calculus1

Calculus1 G.V. Black Fan
    7+ Year Member

I agree with Rogoff, UAB, UT and LSU usually give those "out of state" spots to Arkansas residents. I am still a TX resident, so I didn't fall into that group. Again, apply to the schools that Rogoff mentioned, Tufts, Boston, NYU, Nova. Maybe Creighton as well.

11. DrTacoElf

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    man i wasted a lot of money then since when i registered for my DAT i had lots of these state schools on it :(

12. JRogoff

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    You have the GPA to maybe get into those publics. You definetly have to get at least a 20+ on the DAT to have a shot. You have to realize that most public schools are there to teach the residents of their state. After all, it is their tax dollars that go into maintaining the school. I would apply to the privates i mentioned, because your chances of getting into those publics are still not great. You have a much better shot at your state school and privates, even though they have large applicant pools.

13. DrTacoElf

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Very True

I"m going to apply to MCG, VCU and 2-3 privates i think.

14. Calculus1

Calculus1 G.V. Black Fan
    7+ Year Member

That's ok, at least you won't spend money on an interview at one just to get denied. I might add, UMKC is also on my list of being stingy out of state acceptances.

15. JRogoff

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    That sounds like a good plan to me. I applied to 5 schools, but most people apply to more. I have a good GPA like you, 3.7, so i didn't have a problem getting in anywhere.

16. JRogoff

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I heard that too, but didn't wat to say because i didn't know for sure.

17. LITTLED

10+ Year Member

I chose to apply to a lot of schools. Probably more than the average applicant. I suppose that part of it was paranoia that I wouldn't get in, and part of it was that I was hoping to have some good choices. I will say this, I know that the app process is very $$. However, do it once (hopefully ;) ) and never again. There are certain things that u will learn about a school only by visiting, touring, and talking to students. Sometimes the things you can't quantify about a school make it the most outstanding, or the least desirable. Thus, I'd say apply to a few more than 7 so you have some good options. So good luck!!
    littled

18. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

Average student applies to 7-9 schools. If you think your chances of getting in somewhere is not that great (low GPA + low DAT), then 20-25 schools maybe a better option. But never apply to ALL schools, some state schools have few competitive spots for out-of-staters, and some private schools like Harvard (unless you have good stats) are tough to get into due to their small class and high stats.

So, apply wisely and save $$$.

19. the big wand

the big wand Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

3 schools should be sufficient for your GPA. :)

20. DrTacoElf

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    well last year i applied to medical school with this 3.8GPA and a 28 MCAT (11 biological science, 10 physical sciences, 7 verbal). Had 5 interviews. 2 of which were MCG and MCV. Ended up getting in nowhere.

I learned how hard it is to get an interview at an out of state public school. univeristy of SC was the only out of state school that interviewed me and the whole time they were like why SC.

Do private schools want you to practice in they state that they are in? Because public schools sure as hell do? Do certain states have preferece at private schools?

21. ToothMonkey

ToothMonkey Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I believe the average applicant submits to seven schools in order to receive one acceptance. Your GPA is better than average but I would still apply to at least 7 schools to be absolutely sure.

The cost of applying is nothing compared to the cost of attendance, so you may as well rule out even the slightest chance of being shutout.

If you must skimp on money then make sure the extra schools you apply to (beyond your first few choices) are nearby so that it's reasonably cheap to interview there if and when they invite you over.

22. DrTacoElf

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think i'm going to apply to these 5.

MCG
    MCV
    Boston Univ
    Tufts Univ
    Case Western

Comments?

23. ecdoesit

ecdoesit DDS/MS
    7+ Year Member

Could you share your stats? It is hard to say too many sch without such info.
    Case western tends to accept people very early in the application process.
    Just make sure you have the LOR requirement for BU and Tufts.
    Send in your complete and polished application as early as possible.
    I donno much about MCG and MCV.