How many schools require 3 letters of recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused 20

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone roughly how many (or what percentage) of medical schools require 3 letters of recommendation? Furthermore, what percentage of the schools that require 3 letters of recommendation necessitate you to provide 2 letters from a science professor and 1 professor from your major? Any input will be appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say enough that you should go out of your way to get at least 2 science letters, 1 non-science letter, and 1 non-academic letter.

That is usually safe and covers any list a school can throw at you.

Of the 17 secondaries I completed about 3/4 required at least 3 letters and half of those required two of them to be science.

Some schools get even pissier and require the academic letters to be from professors (not co-written by GSIs) or to be from SENIOR professors (whatever that means). Although I have an interview at one of these places without following that rule so I guess its not really etched in stone.

Does anyone roughly how many (or what percentage) of medical schools require 3 letters of recommendation? Furthermore, what percentage of the schools that require 3 letters of recommendation necessitate you to provide 2 letters from a science professor and 1 professor from your major? Any input will be appreciated. Thank you.

A heck of a lot. You could probably get away without a non-academic letter, but at pretty much every school I've applied to it's been 2 science and 1 non-science any way you guy. I think maybe out of the 15 schools I've applied to, 2 didn't require 2 science, but still required 3 total.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think alwaysaangel's idea is sound. I've applied to 33 schools and a vast majority required at least two science LORs and a third random one.

Every school I applied to was at least 2 science, one non-science. Most had a character letter in addition, and some had 2 character letters making a total of 5 reccommendations.