how many schools should i apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmer_tami

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Helllo prepharmers!
I will be applying to pharmacy school this summer for Fall 2005, and I want to know how many schools you all applied for or will apply for. Applications are costly as well as interviews and deposits, but still I know the more places I apply to the better chances I have of getting in. I am from California, and would like to attend school here, but I will apply to some out of state schools as safety nets. These are the schools I had in mind:

USC
UCSD
UCSF
Western
Washington State
University of Washington
Rutgers
Temple

Are any of these schools not worth applying to, and what are some other great out of state schools?

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I was in the same boat as you last summer: I wanted to go to a Cali school but if I didn't get in, I needed to be in some pharm. school this fall. I applied to UOP and UCSF, and I applied to five out-of-state schools. The five out-of-state schools I applied to were all accelerated programs. I figured if I was going out-of-state, I'd just go for three years. Somebody wrote a post a couple of months back about how programs can smell your interest - I believe this. The school I really wanted to go to knew this, and the schools that were my back-ups also seemed to know such. Luckily, I only made one out-of-state road trip for an iv before I got my acceptance which minimized expenses. My advice, pour all your heart and energy into your application for your choice school and prep like hell for that iv. Microbus out

I applied to 7 schools -- 3 public and 4 private. I'm from Washington and my first choice was Univ of WA... however, because I didn't hear back from them until just recently, I had to spend lots of $$ on plane tickets and hotels for interviews at other places (out of state)... But I think it's worth it, since at the time I didn't know whether or not I would be accepted here. Especially if you get accepted at some schools really early and they require a deposit -- but at least it leaves you an alternative in case you didn't get into your first choice.

Good luck!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I only applied one place because that was where I was going to be living - good thing I got in, eh? I started contacting the assistant dean about a year in advance to show my interest, get my name in there, and then initiated a visit on my own so they could associate a face with my name/application since I didn't do my pre-pharmacy work there. really do think that's so important esp. when you're coming from out of state that you make a real effort to show your interest (as long as it's genuine of course).

If I had to do it over, I wouldn't have done anything differently. I don't think I would have applied anywhere I really didn't want to go, but that is just me. If I hadn't gotten it, I would have reapplied or done something else. Also, I am married and had to take my husband's needs into consideration so that made a big impact on my choice.

spacecowgirl said:
I only applied one place because that was where I was going to be living - good thing I got in, eh? I started contacting the assistant dean about a year in advance to show my interest, get my name in there, and then initiated a visit on my own so they could associate a face with my name/application since I didn't do my pre-pharmacy work there. really do think that's so important esp. when you're coming from out of state that you make a real effort to show your interest (as long as it's genuine of course).

If I had to do it over, I wouldn't have done anything differently. I don't think I would have applied anywhere I really didn't want to go, but that is just me. If I hadn't gotten it, I would have reapplied or done something else. Also, I am married and had to take my husband's needs into consideration so that made a big impact on my choice.

Same as spacecowgirl, just applied to 1 school and got in. My husband's job had a big impact on my choice as well and since I knew I was at a disadvantage being international , I explained that I am about to become a perm resident very soon and wrote that in my personal statement mentioning a previous conversation with the Dean which landed me an interview with her - I guess that helped me a lot.

I'm in Central Florida and unable to relocate. So University of Florida, St. Pete or Orlando satellites is my only option.

I think that it would depend upon how competitive your grades/PCAT score are. If you did pretty well so far (GPA 3.5 or above), I would not worry. Applying to only a few would probably get you in. If you did not do so well, apply to all of those schools.

The schools I applied to:

Western (rejected-no interview)
Ucsf (rejected-no interview)
Ucsd (rejected-no interview)
Usc (accepted)
Uop (rejected-no interview)
Creighton (accepted)
University of colorado (rejected- no interview)
Mass. College of pharmacy and health science (accepted)
University of minnesota (rejected - no interview)

My best advice, apply to as many schools as u can from all spectrum, from public to private, instate and out of state. I was prepared to go out of state rather than waiste another year of my life reapplying. Every year you are in school is another year you will not be making 80-100K a year. And from what I can tell, every year, the student body just gets smarter or works harder. The year after me, USC instigated the 3.00 rule for the student body to graduate.

Thanks guys for all the helpful advice! :) I think I'll just shoot for 10 schools to apply to. It's too bad that you don't hear from some of the schools until March. Otherwise, I can apply to more schools if needed rather than applying to a whole bunch at once.

I think overall my profile is okay (cum. GPA~3.5, some extracurriculars, etc.), but I'm having trouble finding recommendation writers and it doesn't help that some of the schools require recommendations to be submitted on their forms. (10 schools= 10 forms!) I'm concerned that the recommendations will be mediocre if I apply to too many schools since each recommender will have many forms to complete rather than just a few to focus on.

I don't know exactly what schools you are applying to, but usually it is the case, where there is a short form for the recommender to fill out. The actual letter of recommendation is usually required to be on official letterhead from the institution that the recommender is employed. So, the letters of recommendation are not that big of a deal. It can usually be set up so that all they have to do is change the name of the school and print. I just would not ask somebody that you don't know at all. The chances are, if you are asking a doctor for the letters of recommendation, that person had to get letters of recommendations in order to get into thier graduate or professional program, just like you. They will understand.

pharmer_tami said:
Thanks guys for all the helpful advice! :) I think I'll just shoot for 10 schools to apply to. It's too bad that you don't hear from some of the schools until March. Otherwise, I can apply to more schools if needed rather than applying to a whole bunch at once.

I think overall my profile is okay (cum. GPA~3.5, some extracurriculars, etc.), but I'm having trouble finding recommendation writers and it doesn't help that some of the schools require recommendations to be submitted on their forms. (10 schools= 10 forms!) I'm concerned that the recommendations will be mediocre if I apply to too many schools since each recommender will have many forms to complete rather than just a few to focus on.

As a former writer of recommendations - I don't think that will be a problem. Usually people just write a form letter for you and then insert the various names of schools and such. The same is true with forms, you kind of come up with your answers and just tailor them to the particular application. I wouldn't let that worry you too much - but I would definitely focus on getting great LORs. :luck: :luck:

Oh and ask them EARLY!!!! as early as possible - that leaves them with plenty of time and you with plenty of time to harp on them until they get done :D

It's all about how good your profile is and how well you feel you stack up against other applicants. I applied to only one school and got in, and I feel quite fortunate, even though I have really decent stats. I guess in general, lower numbers and less experience = apply to more schools. Make sure to look at the applied to accepted ratios for your school(s) of interest. My school got over 800 apps this year and accepts 180. (120 matriculate) If you apply to schools that accept 10% or less or applicants, you may need to apply to more schools.

Definitly apply to as many schools as you can... I applied to 5 schools this year and got rejected from all of them, even with a B.S in neuroscience, a 3.3 GPA and a 97th perecentile on the PCAT , and some pharmacy volunteer experience. I may have applied "late" even though everything was in well on time, it wasn't in 6 months prior to the deadline, which is the deadline de facto, or so it seems! best of luck.... oh, and to my buddies who follow my storyline... i did get a fulltime pharmtech job this summer and for next year, hopefully i can round up enough $$ to re-apply for next fall!!!!!!!

Yeah, you should apply to as many schools as you can afford too...Unless you are absolutely positive that you will get accepted at one of your choices.

Well let see, I am from PA so i stayed in-state. LECOM, Temple and Wilkes. It seems to me that it is very tough to get in as a post BS or transfer. A lot of phamacy school these days have their own 6 year program that guarntees a spot in their professinoal years. Temple and Lecom however they do not have those conditional slot admission. If i were u, i would concentrate on those school who do not have those policy if you have already graduated from college or applying to professional year as a transfer. good luck, i got in to temple but it seems like you have better qualificaiton than i had but i rocked my interview. I think interview is more crucial step, be prepared. and good luck.