How many schools should I apply to???

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by futurepeddoc, Feb 7, 2002.

1. futurepeddoc

futurepeddoc New Member

Hi. I'm wondering how many DO schools I should apply to. I was thinking 5, or so?? My info: 3.56 overall, 3.4 science, and 9-V, 9-B, and 7-P. Will that 7 be really hurtful?? I have seen some posts with people having 7's, but they were in Verbal, not physical. ANy info would be helpful. Could u please list how mamy schools you applied to, what yourGPA,MCAT are, and how many you got accepted to. Thanks. :)

2. pags

pags Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I had a 3.4, 27MCAT, copious health care related experience, and some graduate work in medical physics and I applied to 10 DO schools for 1998. I got 4 interviews and was accepted to one school. I don't think it is as competitive now. The application numbers have dropped off quite substantially in recent years. Hope that gives you a clue. I would apply to 10 schools.

3. Artois

Artois Member
    7+ Year Member

I had a 3.6 science, 29MCAT, and a lot of experience. I originally applied to six D.O. schools, but only sent four secondaries back. Got invited to interview at all of them, but only accepted two and I got accepted to both of them. I'm also on University of Washington's wait list. I think it depends quite a bit on your experiences and what you have done. I wouldn't apply to more than 10.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bmw

bmw Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I made a 26 on my MCAT with a 7 in physical science. Also, GPA was fair but have M.A. and lots of health care experience. I don't think a 7 kills you if you have strengths elsewhere. I think you should apply to anywhere you would be willing to go.

5. drchris33

drchris33 MSIV
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My overall gpa was about 3.45 or so. I got only a 21 on my MCAT--5 Verbal, 8 P, 8 Bio. I had a lot of healthcare experience, awards, volunteer work, community service and certifications. I applied to 13 MD schools and 5 DO schools. I received two interviews so far to two DO schools and got accepted to UHS and wait listed at Des Moines

Chris
    Class of 2006 UHS

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. doc2b34

doc2b34 Anesthesiology
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    futurepeddoc,

I think all of these advice are right on. I think you should at least apply to 10 schools. Why limit your chances by applying to only 3 or 4 schools. You shouldn't think it's too expensive because this is your future. Good luck! doc2b34

PS-My GPA was 3.4, MCAT score was 24(8 verbal, 9 Biology, 7 Physical science) I got 2 interviews and got accepted to TUCOM class of 2006! I applied to 12 DO schools

7. Arch Guillotti

Arch Guillotti Senior Member
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would apply to more than 4-5 schools as well. Look at the state school preferences when you apply and don't waste your time with ones that take mostly in-state applicants like Texas, Ohio, Michigan State, etc. Others like WVSOM and Pikeville take nearly all their students from a particular geographic area. All the specific #'s are readily available somewhere as to the geographic makeups. Don't be put-off by schools like PCOM and NOVA that take most of the ir applicants from in-state. I was accepted at both and I am out of state. If I were you I would try schools like NOVA, PCOM, AZCOM, KCOM, UHS, maybe LECOM and NYCOM.

8. pags

pags Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

NYCOM takes 90 to 95% of their students from instate. The majority of the out of staters where from the tri-state area and New England.