How many schools should I apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SavoirFaire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my stats:

3.53 cGPA
3.43 sGPA
27 MCAT

So far I have applied to 13 schools (3 M.D. and 10 D.O.).

I was wondering about how many schools you have applied to. What is a good and safe number?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
We have similar stats - slightly lower MCAT, and slightly higher GPA. I applied to 11 schools. (the ones that are known to accept international students). I don't think there is any harm in applying broadly. Last year I was limited because I applied late and ended up waitlisted x2 - so this year I didn't want to make the same mistake.

I think you've got a decent number of DO schools, if your mcat sub-scores are balanced then you might get some love from MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have similar stats - slightly lower MCAT, and slightly higher GPA. I applied to 11 schools. (the ones that are known to accept international students). I don't think there is any harm in applying broadly. Last year I was limited because I applied late and ended up waitlisted x2 - so this year I didn't want to make the same mistake.

Same exactly story here last year - waitlisted at two schools and applied late. There is technically still a chance I will get in at one of those schools.

I want to do it right this year.

I think you've got a decent number of DO schools, if your mcat sub-scores are balanced then you might get some love from MD.

Ok, cool. My MCAT is 10 BS, 10 VR, 7 PS.

Last edited:
12-15 is a good amount. Make sure you choose wisely and don't apply to a school with a terrible out of state acceptance rate.

Ok, cool. My MCAT is 10 BS, 10 VR, 7 PS.

The 7 in the PS section is going to hurt your chances of getting a lot of love from MD schools. I would consult your MSAR about schools in which your PS score is not more than a standard deviation from the mean.