How many schools should one apply to as a noncompetitive applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefuldpt345

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm currently applying to PT schools for a Fall 2023 start date (hopefully!). I've been trying to figure out the number of schools I should apply for -- I've looked into location (I live in PA and would like to stay there, preferably) and some data on average stats of accepted applicants, but I couldn't find much on what a good number of schools to apply to is for someone who is not necessarily the most competitive applicant.

My biggest worry is GPA, especially with pre-reqs; my biggest concern is that in freshman year, I received a C+ in Biology 1 and Chemistry 1, but I was advised by my college advisors not to retake those courses. Moving forward, I received a B+ in Bio II and A's in all subsequent pre-requisite courses (I only have Physics II outstanding). I'm currently a rising seniour and will be graduating one semester early (Fall 2022 is my last semester).

My stats are:
cGPA: 3.68
pGPA: 3.3-3.5 (depending on how it is calculated, using only science classes or science + math, or all pre-reqs listed on the specific DPT program)
GPA avg in last 60 credits: 3.9
Shadowing Hours: 270 in 2 different outpatient places, 70 in acute rehab
GRE: will take in August
Rec Letters: 2 from physical therapists I've shadowed, 1 from Calc professor, 1 from majour professor (Psychology), 2 from pre-req classes (Anatomy & Physics)

I'm currently applying to 12 schools, all in PA. Is this a good number of schools to be applying to, for someone with my stats, or just as a generally not as competitive applicant? Are there any schools, regardless of location, that might be more willing to accept someone with a lower GPA and has a few C's in pre-reqs?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Here’s a positive reality check for you: you ARE a competitive applicant. I would cut your schools in half at least

I was in a pretty similar position last year. I had a 3.3 pGPA and I thought that would doom me. Compared to me, you have a better cGPA, over 100 more observation hours, and more LOR’s. But I did have a really good GRE, solid experiences like undergrad research, and I was confident that my essays were good

But still, my 3.3 pGPA terrified me so I applied to 18 programs. I ended up getting accepted or invited to interview at almost all of them, and I was fortunate enough to be able to decline several interview invitations

My point is that you’ll be totally fine. I wouldn’t waste the money applying to 12 unless you end up with a terrible GRE AND you have no confidence in your essays AND you have no confidence in your interview abilities. If I were you, I’d choose your favorite 4-6 public programs in PA and just apply to those

Reactions: 1 user
It’s less about how many programs you apply to and more about being strategic. Look at the average GPAs/GREs of accepted students and see how they match up to you, check whether or not the program offers interviews, and whether or not they look at applications holistically. It took me 3 cycles to be accepted anywhere. The first year I only applied in-state (SC, 3 programs at the time) and was denied from all. Second time I applied to 15 programs (not strategically) and was denied from 14, waitlisted at 1 (and never got off). Third year I was smarter about how I applied and only applied to 6 programs and was accepted to 2. PT school apps can get really pricey really fast so you don’t just want to apply all willy-nilly!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Here’s a positive reality check for you: you ARE a competitive applicant. I would cut your schools in half at least

I was in a pretty similar position last year. I had a 3.3 pGPA and I thought that would doom me. Compared to me, you have a better cGPA, over 100 more observation hours, and more LOR’s. But I did have a really good GRE, solid experiences like undergrad research, and I was confident that my essays were good

But still, my 3.3 pGPA terrified me so I applied to 18 programs. I ended up getting accepted or invited to interview at almost all of them, and I was fortunate enough to be able to decline several interview invitations

My point is that you’ll be totally fine. I wouldn’t waste the money applying to 12 unless you end up with a terrible GRE AND you have no confidence in your essays AND you have no confidence in your interview abilities. If I were you, I’d choose your favorite 4-6 public programs in PA and just apply to those
Thank you for your kind message! I hope you don't mind me asking -- for your pGPA, was it similar to mine with a few poor grades, or was it due to no poor grades but a few more B's? My concern is my C+s will be looked at very negatively.

It’s less about how many programs you apply to and more about being strategic. Look at the average GPAs/GREs of accepted students and see how they match up to you, check whether or not the program offers interviews, and whether or not they look at applications holistically. It took me 3 cycles to be accepted anywhere. The first year I only applied in-state (SC, 3 programs at the time) and was denied from all. Second time I applied to 15 programs (not strategically) and was denied from 14, waitlisted at 1 (and never got off). Third year I was smarter about how I applied and only applied to 6 programs and was accepted to 2. PT school apps can get really pricey really fast so you don’t just want to apply all willy-nilly!
Thank you for responding. This might sound silly, but do you have any advice on how to find programs whose GPAs line up with a bit of a lower pre-requisite? I've looked at many different schools' average cumulative and pre-req GPA as well as their minimum required GPA, and most of them are very similar (minimum 3.0 or 3.2, but average 3.5-3.7).

Thank you for your kind message! I hope you don't mind me asking -- for your pGPA, was it similar to mine with a few poor grades, or was it due to no poor grades but a few more B's? My concern is my C+s will be looked at very negatively.
Applying with a couple C+s won’t be the end of the world, especially if they were near the beginning of college like yours seem to have been. Your GPA in the last 60 hours is stellar, and I think it’s important that you’ve shown that you’ve picked it up since those C+s

I applied with a C in gen chem 2 lecture and lab, and I think a C+ in a physics lab

I had a C in gen chem 1 too but I retook it and got an A. I also retook stats to go from a B- to an A

The rest were a mix of A’s and B’s

Last edited:
Thank you for responding. This might sound silly, but do you have any advice on how to find programs whose GPAs line up with a bit of a lower pre-requisite? I've looked at many different schools' average cumulative and pre-req GPA as well as their minimum required GPA, and most of them are very similar (minimum 3.0 or 3.2, but average 3.5-3.7).
What I did was I went on the list of participating PTCAS programs and looked at every single program in the states I was interested in applying in (I’m from SC and wanted to stay on the lower part of the east coast) and narrowed it down from there. My cumulative GPA was only a 3.09. I ended up going to Emory & Henry in VA, which had a minimum of 2.75 and an average of like 3.5 or something like that.