how many schools should one apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jarjarbinks

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,

i've been lurking here for a couple weeks, and i've decided to take the plunge and apply to pharmacy school. that said, i'm currently in the process of narrowing down school choices, and it's much tougher than i had imagined. so far, i have one definite school (Maryland -- where i reside), but there seem to be so many programs to choose from. what i'd like to get an idea of is how many programs most of you have / will be applying to. i expect an answer akin to "it depends on your statistics," so here goes: i have fairly crappy undergraduate grades (barely a 3.0, and probably lower in my science gpa), but since graduating 7 years ago i've worked full time, obtained a master's degree (with a much higher gpa), and published several papers. i haven't taken the PCAT yet, but i plan to in November. my process of elimination has been along the lines of looking at in-state versus out-of-state enrollment ratios. i am not picky about the "prestige" or reputation of a pharmacy school; since they're all accredited (most of them are, i assume), they should all be held to pretty high standards. basically, what are your plans in terms of numbers of schools you'll be applying to?

thanks much!

Members don't see this ad.

hey.. i've also got low gpa (~3.35), 2 degrees (BS genetics, BS biology) and i'm taking the pcat in august.. the only pharmacy experience i have is shadowing, but i have worked in a hospital for a summer and i've got research and TA experience (hopefully this will help - i dont know though)

that said, im applying to my 3 in state schools (UGA, Mercer, South) for sure, and i haven't decided exactly how many other schools i am going to apply to, but im thinking 5-7 out of state-private schools, if i can finish the applications. right now im trying to decide which out of state schools to apply too.. it has also been a lot tougher than i thought it was going to be to narrow it down. i want to apply to some out of state public schools (UNC or Colorado would be awesome), but i think it might be a waste of time and money for me

I don't know, I only applied to one, but I would say five or six is a good number. Two you really, really want, two you want and think you have a chance there, and one where you are pretty confident you will get in, but don't really care for it too much. That's the average number of sites people apply for residencies...

Members don't see this ad :)
hi all,

i've been lurking here for a couple weeks, and i've decided to take the plunge and apply to pharmacy school. that said, i'm currently in the process of narrowing down school choices, and it's much tougher than i had imagined. so far, i have one definite school (Maryland -- where i reside), but there seem to be so many programs to choose from. what i'd like to get an idea of is how many programs most of you have / will be applying to. i expect an answer akin to "it depends on your statistics," so here goes: i have fairly crappy undergraduate grades (barely a 3.0, and probably lower in my science gpa), but since graduating 7 years ago i've worked full time, obtained a master's degree (with a much higher gpa), and published several papers. i haven't taken the PCAT yet, but i plan to in November. my process of elimination has been along the lines of looking at in-state versus out-of-state enrollment ratios. i am not picky about the "prestige" or reputation of a pharmacy school; since they're all accredited (most of them are, i assume), they should all be held to pretty high standards. basically, what are your plans in terms of numbers of schools you'll be applying to?

thanks much!

Here's a post I wrote a bunch of stuff on about picking schools:
CLICK HERE! :)

it depends on the application to admissions ratio for the school and your stats relative to the average entering applicant. Check out the FAQ for links to this data, available through AACP.

if you are an average applicant and your schools all run a 4:1 admissions: application ratio, you could apply to 4. If your schools are all 10:1, then applying to 4 is probably not a great decision.

I don't know, I only applied to one, but I would say five or six is a good number. Two you really, really want, two you want and think you have a chance there, and one where you are pretty confident you will get in, but don't really care for it too much. That's the average number of sites people apply for residencies...

Six is the number I recommend too. One could do more if he/she has average to below-average stats, but I wouldn't go over 12 unless one is really desperate.

You need to apply to enough schools so that one accepts you, in reality. That number is going to be totally different for everyone. Someone with great credentials needs only to apply to one school, while someone with a sub-par application may apply to fifty schools and not get accepted anywhere.

You'll need to check at each school if they will accept your pre-req classes that were done 7 years ago, as many schools have a deadline of say 5/3/what ever years. I know I ruled A LOT of schools out just based on the fact that my undergrad (including some pre-reqs) was done in 1999. So be sure to check in to that before you get your hopes on any particular school.

Also look at minimum GPA's and how they take in to consideration your master's, because that may cut out some schools for your. Many schools require minimums of 3.0, 3.2, 2.5, etc. etc. etc. for cum, science, any particular GPA.