How many schools to apply to?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by rshah816, 09.28.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. rshah816

rshah816

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hey everyone! I am submitting my PharmCAS application tonight (unfortunately I wasn't able to do early decision because my references took two months to submit, even when I reminded them).

I was just wondering how many schools you guys applied to or are planning to apply to. So far, I have 8: University of Michigan, Wayne State, University of Illinois - Chicago, Midwestern, Nova, Long Island, University of Pittsburgh, and University of Kentucky. I live in Michigan.

I have all A's (4.0 GPA at my first university, 3.85 at my current institution because their A's range from 3.5-4.0 but it's still viewed as a 4.0 on PharmCAS) and my PCAT was a 97. I'm only nervous because I am applying after pre-requisites and I haven't completed a degree, though I was initially pursuing a biochem degree.

My parents are telling me I should apply to more in case I don't get in and their continual reminder is really making me nervous, but I really don't even know where else I would WANT to apply.

I just want to get a feel as to what other people's numbers are. Thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. kies89

kies89 5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    i think ur stats are competitive enough. many ppl still get accepted without bachelors so dont worry too much about it.

apply some low rank schools maybe a couple more for back up though if u r not confident.
    i applied 20 schools with far below ur gpa and little less pcat score(3.25gpa 93pcat) but still got many interviews and already got an acceptance.
    (now im regretting that i applied too much. maybe 10 schools were good enough.. but i was scared and its too late lol. i declined some interviews and didnt even do supplemental for some schools)

i think u still have decent chances on schools u listed but if u r worried maybe apply some more back up schools

4. vanillee

vanillee

Pre-Pharmacy
    I would say your list is fine, and not add anymore because it will cost another additional $50-$70 to add a school (and then another $50-$80 to do the supplement). If I were in your shoes I wouldn't add any more schools because I'd be confident enough with those stats to at least get a handful of interviews.

I have a WAY lower GPA (below 3.0) and PCAT score (76) so I applied to 14 schools and so far I got 5 interviews and 1 acceptance. They weren't top 20 schools or anything like your list but they are accredited schools. Now I wish I could've applied to less schools to save money T_T

5. Amicable Angora

Amicable Angora Lagomorpha 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    You want to apply to enough schools to not give yourself and your family regrets. It sounds like you want to apply to more schools; in this situation, you probably are safe with 15, at most 20.

6. MDrxgirl410

MDrxgirl410

Pharmacy Student
    I too have been wondering about this a lot. We have very similar stats, the only difference being that I will have a degree after next semester. I was thinking about applying to 7-8 schools, I feel like 15+ is just too many and so much money! :confused: How many did you end up applying to?

7. rshah816

rshah816

Pre-Pharmacy
    I ended up applying to 10. I included University of Florida and Purdue University to the list.

AlPacino likes this.
  8. yenle1304

yenle1304 2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    In my opinion, you are applying way to too many schools. But if you want to be safe, then I guess that's fine. My gpa is 3.1 and pcat 97. I was going to apply to 10 schools but ended up applying to 4 and got all 4 interviews. I did that because 1) i have school and i cannot miss too many classes to go to the interviews. I am in a professional program so i have clinics/rotations that I cannot miss 2) Too much money to pay for application and especially traveling fees 3) I applied early so this means that I will be able to go to interviews early. I will know if Im accepted/rejected in Nov/Dec. If i get rejected, then I can always apply to more schools around Nov/Dec, that's not too late to apply. 4) I'm applying to only schools if I really want to go. I didn't want to decline interview later when I get too many interview invites

But then again... if you have the money to spend, then go ahead. Those were just my reasons to why I applied to only 4 schools with my stats :)

9. yenle1304

yenle1304 2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    delete

10. ZDhelix

ZDhelix

yeah true

Last edited: 10.05.14
  11. Amicable Angora

Amicable Angora Lagomorpha 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Trying to skimp on a few hundreds of dollars on your entire future especially when you don't understand the job market very well and have personal worries is foolish.

12. Sgriz97

Sgriz97

Pre-Medical
    I think that amount of schools is perfect for someone with your stats, and I wish you the best of luck.

13. rshah816

rshah816

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thank you! :)

14. kaidou1412

kaidou1412 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Verified
    Army
    for pharmacy schools, I applied 12 and got accepted 6. Now I see that applying too many schools is a complete waste but at that time I was desperate. 6-8 is adequate number unless you have 2.8 GPA and 50 PCAT.

Last edited: 10.10.14
  15. futurepharm303

futurepharm303

Pre-Pharmacy
    Which schools did you apply to if you don't mind me asking and which ones did you get into?

16. YOWAT

YOWAT Banned Banned Account on Hold

Pharmacy Student
    did u get accepted @UF?

17. 313heros

313heros

Pharmacy Student
    Which school did you get accepted by? I'm in the same boat as you with stats.

About the ads