How Many Schools to Apply To?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kltmd

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many med schools should we apply to? I don't know if it's a waste to apply to many, or to go all out and get this whole deal over with. What is the usual number? I have about a 3.84 GPA (don't know my MCAT score yet), but I go to a small, unknown private college. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

People with very good scores usually apply to 10-20 schools. People with mediocre scores or have a mediocre application usually apply to 20-30. Don't think about cost when you are applying, believe me, spending 40-80 dollars on an application or even the 300-400 dollars to fly out and interview is nothing compared to the 30,000X4 years tution, you will want to go to the best place possible for yourself.

As many as your daddy will pay for.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they quote the average as 12 schools per applicant two years ago.

In california its higher (like 20 per applicant). Only apply to schools that you have looked into at least somewhat and you would be willing to go there if it was the only place that you got into. Its one thing to increase your odds, its another to spread yourself too thin and then go crazy trying to write all the essays. IMHO that 40 schools is a huge number that might be too time consuming. I applied to 19 and that almost burned me out.

I think I heard an advisor tell us that typically California students apply to approx 20-30 schools.... The reason is not because California students are not competitive I think it's the competitiveness of the process.... Something like that.... I'm sure other states avg 10-15 schools to apply to.

I say, apply to how ever much money you can chug.... You never know which one will let you get a foot on the door.

Consider factors such as in-state vs. out-of-state, prerequisites, location... :cool:

Hey Kltmd,
I think the average for us here in Florida was 12 schools. If you haven't already, check out the book Medical School Admission Requirements(MSAR)--I think it is put out by the AAMC; your library might also have it. Find out where you are competitive and where you think you would be happy and go from there. Most of the essays are pretty similar (and some, such as Boston University, don't even have a secondary app), so the only real factor is cost. Take into consideration that the secondary fees will be fairly high (avg. cost was about $50-$60 per secondary). Anyways, good luck--with a GPA like yours it sounds like you should do well!
BS