how many schools to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foofighter7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey people, I was just wondering how many schools should one apply to? I am a texas resident and was planning on applyin everywhere in texas (6 public and baylor) and then 15 more schools....is that too much? I read somewhere that the average medical applicant applies to 12 schools. any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

totally depends on your stats and ecs

Members don't see this ad :)
foofighter7 said:
Hey people, I was just wondering how many schools should one apply to? I am a texas resident and was planning on applyin everywhere in texas (6 public and baylor) and then 15 more schools....is that too much? I read somewhere that the average medical applicant applies to 12 schools. any advice would be appreciated!

I applied to 20, interviewed at 5, and was accepted to 4.

I am also a Texas resident.

Law2Doc said:
Agree. I know folks with stellar stats who got away with applying to fewer than 10, and folks at the other end of the spectrum who applied to 25+ and still wished they sent out more.

This is the best advice you can get on the issue.

foofighter7 said:

Like the previous poster said, depends on your stats etc. Someone like me who is a reapplicant with hopefully better numbers will apply to a crap load. It looks like Ill be sending out close to 35-40 applications.

foofighter7 said:
I read somewhere that the average medical applicant applies to 12 schools.

In my experience, Texas and California residents typically apply to quite a bit more than this average because we have so many state schools. I sure as hell did.

But yes, your stats should probably help determine where and how many. If you can afford it, err on the side of too many, as long as you can see yourself possibly attending each one at this point. In my case, as much as I would love to stay in CA, I am perfectly willing to go anywhere.

If you're a run of the mill, Non-URM with <3.5 science GPA AND <30 MCAT, apply to ~>20.

If >3.5 and >30, then ~<20 should be ok.

If you have one low number and one high number (>3.5 & <30, or <3.5 & >30), go for ~>20.

If you're a URM, then subtract 5 schools.

My stats are awesome. I applied to 10, and I'm failing miserably. Apply to AT LEAST 15-20.

Don't apply to schools you wouldn't attend if they were the only schools you got into.

happydays said:
If you're a run of the mill, Non-URM with <3.5 science GPA AND <30 MCAT, apply to ~>20.

If >3.5 and >30, then ~<20 should be ok.

If you have one low number and one high number (>3.5 & <30, or <3.5 & >30), go for ~>20.

If you're a URM, then subtract 5 schools.

I think thats good advice..i had an OK mcat..good gpa applied to about 15..probably should have applied to about 20..especially since i dont have a state school :mad:

I am a reapplicant and I am applying to 35-40 (40 if the mcat comes back strong cuz ill add some more competitive schools) and I would be fine with going to every one of them...not trying to do this again, and I wished i had applied to a lot more the first time around

the number of schools I will apply to highly depends on my mcat score.

My undergrad limited you to 15 without a special meeting to help you narrow down the list. If you can't figure out the right schools to match your stats your wastign your money. The process isnt as random as people claim it to be. The exception to this rule maybe Ca residents since I wouldn't count applying to their state schools in the 15 schools.

I'm either applying to 8,9, or 10 schools, depending on the MCAT. No more, no fewer.

foofighter7 said:

totally depends on your bust size. :sleep:

foofighter7 said:

I agree with everything that's being said but just remember: it's all about applying smart too. If you apply to 15 schools but only top 20 schools, then probably not going to have a ton of luck. But if you apply to schools w/i your range plus a few reach schools, you'll have better results.

Does anyone know if Medical schools know of all the schools you applied to? I think I read somewhere that medical schools would know how many schools you applied to and it would work against you because it seems like you were applying to just any medical schools. Can anyone verify that?