How many schools to apply to???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DesiDentist

G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
Moderator Emeritus
Vendor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm kinda confused on how many schools I should apply to. I was telling on of my pre-dent friends that I am going to apply to about 20 schools, but he told me that would be a bad idea since then the adcom would think that you are desperate to get into dental school. Well everyone is desperate to get into dental school. He said that it's good to apply to max of 7 schools. So by this way it looks like you gave some thought in deciding where to apply. I was wondering how many schools are applying to. Also, do the adcom's of each school you apply to know where else you applied to? Any help would be appreciated from those who are applying and those who have completed the process and have gotten in. Please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you're gonna have to give us some more info like your GPA and DAT scores.

If you have decent grades and DAT scores, then don't waste your money applying to 20 schools. You'll be paying thousands in application fees, accommodations, and travel expenses to go to your interviews. Pick and choose schools that you have a good shot at getting into and schools which will fit your needs.

I do believe the adm. committees know how many schools you're applying to....and some interviewers even ask you how many schools you've applied too and it would not look good on your behalf and they may question your honesty about wanting to attend their school.

Good luck!