SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

How many schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Monkap, Jan 13, 2000.

1. Monkap

Monkap Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 11, 1999
    I am 33 years old and from NY. Went to a CC for 2 yrs then transfered to an okay university. GPA 3.75 Mcat 30.While in school worked as a (and currently) full time stockbroker.I only have some volunter work with the red cross and no clinical experience. Based on this can someone advise me as to how many schools I should apply to?
    Thanks in Advance
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 30, 1999
    It usually depends on your budget. A lot of people can't afford to send out to numerous schools. Its usually $50/school via AMCAS or AACOMS & then approx $65 for secondaries. THAT'S A LOT OF DOUGH IF YOU'RE ON A TIGHT BUDGET. Don't forget interview flights & other stuffs that will definitely suck your wallet dry [​IMG]

Normally, pre-meds apply to about 10-15 medical schools to try & increase their chances of getting atleast ONE acceptance. Good Luck to you [​IMG]

WesternU/COMP CLass of 2002
  4. Kglaser

Kglaser New Member

Jan 20, 2000
    kansas City, MO
    10 was the right number for me. I interviewed at 4 and was accepted to 2. Your grades are still a whole lot better than mine were, and at least your doing some kind of volunteer work. So I expect that unless you bomb your interview you won't have too hard of a time being accepted. Do lots of research on the schools, and good luck with your apps.
  5. rowerman

rowerman Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Better get those Apps. in fast if you're looking for acceptance this Fall. Some classes are close to being full by now...